topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 7:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Android 11 forcing people to only use the built-in camera  (Read 2357 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Android 11 forcing people to only use the built-in camera
« on: September 01, 2020, 03:47 PM »
Android 11 is taking away the camera picker, forcing people to only use the built-in camera (OSnews)
Android may have started with the mantra that developers are allowed to do anything as long as they can code it, but things have changed over the years as security and privacy became higher priorities. Every major update over the last decade has shuttered features or added restrictions in the name of protecting users, but some sacrifices may not have been entirely necessary. Another Android 11 trade-off has emerged, this time taking away the ability for users to select third-party camera apps to take pictures or videos on behalf of other apps, forcing users to rely only on the built-in camera app.

It will get much more difficult to use a non-stock camera with third-party apps in Android 11 (dpreview)
Though Android devices come with a stock camera app, users have a huge number of alternative options available in the Play Store, including ones that feature 'pro' controls. When a user attempts to capture an image through a third-party app, such as an auction app that supports directly capturing images rather than uploading from the camera roll, they may be presented with a menu that asks which installed camera app should be used.

When the Android 11 update rolls out, however, this will change and users will no longer be given this option, as recently spied by Android Police. Instead, the third-party app will default to the device's stock camera app. To get around this, users would have to first launch their preferred camera app, capture the images they need, then upload those images in the third-party app from the camera roll -- a process that would take considerably longer than directly launching the desired app.

I thought this worthy of a thread to itself. Not new news, but didnt see it mentioned here.
Tom

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Android 11 forcing people to only use the built-in camera
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 06:43 PM »
Is there any guidance on what ill they are treating here?
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 09:26 PM »
Is there any guidance on what ill they are treating here?

https://www.dpreview...963580_dpr_nl_441_35
The idea is that while the Google Play Store takes steps to protect users from malicious apps, some still manage to get through to users. In addition, Android allows users to sideload apps that haven't gone through the security vetting process, potentially putting themselves at risk. A malicious camera app may compromise the user's privacy, gathering anything from images to location data.

is. Only the phone manufacturers camera app is allowed to spy on you :P

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 01:56 PM »
I found this presentation to be quite interesting. Cleared up a few nagging questions I've always had about what the limit of the speed of light actually implied:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 03:58 PM »
I admit I had a hard time understanding some of the concepts presented in that video. But I'm pretty sure I understood it well enough to see that it had nothing to do with Android 11's default camera app. :D