topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PadGen: Pad file generator  (Read 6440 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PadGen: Pad file generator
« on: September 01, 2006, 07:34 PM »
Since i was getting all the stuff i needed for making GridMove known, i needed a pad file.
Anderson (mobysaurus) found me a fantastic app: PADGen.
If you're planing to make a pad file, i definitelly recomend this app, since it's very simple to use and has all the features you need. (it even has a pad file generator and spell checking!)

Thanks Anderson!  :Thmbsup:

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PadGen: Pad file generator
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 09:48 PM »
I agree. There are others out there, but this one is bullet-proof.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 09:49 PM »
You also need to use a good online PAD validation tool to make sure your pad is valid before you submit it. Here are two:

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 09:54 PM »
Wow, thanks mouser! If you ask me, websites should have PAD files. As a little reviewer, I love a PAD file because it sorts through the misinformation I might pick up along the way reading everything BUT what the author establishes about their program/s.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 10:07 PM »
there are a few big software listing sites that don't accept pad files (fileforum/betanews, snapfiles) - personally i think that's criminally insane and incredibly annoying.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 04:39 AM »
there are a few big software listing sites that don't accept pad files (fileforum/betanews, snapfiles) - personally i think that's criminally insane and incredibly annoying.
So true! Yesterday, when i was submiting GridMove to some of them, i had a huge aount of work copying stuff that was on the pad file. It definitelly is a grand idea and should be used by all software listing sites!

Also, notice that padgen is made by the same guys that do the validator you mentioned, which i believe is like the standard for pad files, so there's no need to validate it online, since padgen already does :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 04:47 AM »
Keep in mind that PADGen does not necessarily produce valid PAD files, and that valid PAD files are not necessarily accepted at various PAD-file-accepting download sites.

The PAD validator at the OISV is stringent and will not accept invalid PAD files. It's a good way to check as it is far more strict than PADGen.

Things to watch in PAD files are null entries. Often it is better to lie in your PAD file than to be truthful. For example, specify a price, even if you specify "0". Fill in other download links with the same link as the primary if that's the only one. Fill in a BS file name for the legacy support. There are others to watch out for as well. It all boils down to many sites having their own interpretation of what PAD should be.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker