topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Win/IIS to LAMP Converts  (Read 11218 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Win/IIS to LAMP Converts
« on: August 31, 2006, 07:54 AM »
Hello all,

I'm looking for feedback from those that have gone from Windows Server (2000 or 2003) and IIS to LAMP and what you've got to say about the transition and your general levels of satisfaction.

I'm thinking of getting a LAMP dedicated server because I can get it for the stupid low price of $30 a month, but before I do that, I want to find out about experiences from those in a similar position.

Any thoughts, muses, or anything is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Win/IIS to LAMP Converts
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 09:59 AM »
First, I have a couple of questions:

1. Are you dissatisfied with IIS&co or are there other reasons why you need(!) to switch?
2. What would you use such a server for?
3. Do you have friends who could help you getting started?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 04:42 PM »
I like WIndows & IIS, it's just that there's some software that won't run on it. So that's why. I'd use it for playing with mostly and probably try out some different kinds of sites.

I suppose I could ask around, but most of my friends run Windows servers.

Probably my biggest worries are the 'gotchas'. I know how to solve a lot of them in IIS, but not Apache. You know those wierd situations with settings buried 50 miles deep in the software...

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 05:26 PM »
I wonder what software that would be... besides apache does work on windows as well. So you could get started with a WAMP system first and wouldn't need to learn a whole new operating system.

If you feel you must have a LAMP system, I don't want to discourage you any longer. But my advice is: start slowly to keep the frustration low.  8)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 05:30 PM »
Why not make it a LLSP server, while you're at it? :)
- carpe noctem

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 06:05 PM »
I'd recommend a BLPP stack or perhaps a BLPR stack :P

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 08:50 PM »
I recommend: use what your peers use. That way you can ask for help more easily.

If you want to switch system choose the distribution/operating system with the nicest community. They all have essentially the same features anyway, so getting friendly competent help is the key.  :up:

The next advice is: use what you feel comfortable with. If you can work good with windows and mediocre with linux - use windows! If you hate linux but windows doesn't really cut it - try bsd.

If you are going the linux route, I would like to recommend ubuntu but that it just my preference.  :D

What will you be using the server for?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 10:42 PM »
Heck - the server's just going to be a junk box with throw away sites. I'll try to see if I can get some automated sites making a few bucks, but nothing really serious.

For Apache, I already run IIS and don't want to bother doing a dual web server config. It can be done, but why? That stuff just works better on Linux than on Windows. (I will never install MySQL again on another Windows box.)

I just don't want to get into compiling things and all that nasty unix silliness. I just want to get a LAMP box running. If it's BSD, that's ok as long as I don't have to recompile Apache and MySQL and PostGRESQL and this and that and the kitchen sink. I don't want it to be a time waster - I just want things to work.

So, basically, how do I make that transition as easily as possible?

jpfx

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 07:19 PM »
look up xampp on apachefriends.org, it's great for trying LAMP out on a windows box by using the proggies you would run on Linux.
       |\      _,,,---,,_         
ZZZzzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;, 
      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'    
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 08:09 PM »
nice find jpfx!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 11:34 PM »
My Windows server works extremely well - no problems there. So I don't want to go mucking around with it at all. e.g. No WAMP, WIMP, or any other W??? stuff. It's very happy running IIS & ASP.NET right now :)

But any suggestions for which Linux distro would be easiest to work with? I do want Apache, MySQL, PHP/Python on it - just not sure of which Linux distro.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 07:16 AM »
If you'll only be running a console on the server and not a GUI I would recommend FreeBSD, it's what I used when I set up a server for home and there are tutorials which explain absolutley everything.

That said I'm sure they also exist for linux, ubuntu for example has such a large fanbase that you'll no doubt find tonnes of help too.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 09:10 AM »
Thanks for the FreeBSD suggestion, but honestly, I just don't want to put that much effort into it, and I really want a GUI.

How's Suse? I haven't used it in a long time. The last Linux distro I used was Mandrake a few years ago. It had some really cool desktops. But I wasn't using it for a server either.

RedHat? I don't know any of the latest things as I pretty much abandoned Linux about 3 years ago.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 11:24 AM »
Don't mean to be repeating myself but Ubuntu Server seems like it's exactly what you want (though haven't tried it myself for anything other than a desktop).

In about 15 minutes, the time it takes to install Ubuntu Server Edition, you can have a LAMP server up and ready to go. This feature, exclusive to Ubuntu Server Edition, is available at the time of installation.
-ubuntu.com

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 08:27 AM »
Don't mean to be repeating myself but Ubuntu Server seems like it's exactly what you want (though haven't tried it myself for anything other than a desktop).
I've been hearing a lot about it, and I have been curious. But it's just so new. Any word on how reliable it is?

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 08:56 AM »
Well I think Linux generally is very reliable but I understand you're concern over something so new. A good point for Ubuntu is that they'll be continuing to support and upgrade this version for 5 years meaning you wouldn't have to reinstall in a years time to catch up with software updates.

But really I have no experience with Linux when it comes to servers, only FreeBSD and a small bit of OpenBSD. Both I loved and would be using one of them if I were setting up a server again, however if I wanted a GUI on my server I think I'd opt for Ubuntu, hence the reason why I recommend it. Also I've used it as a desktop and really linked it, and it proved stable for the short period I stuck with it before moving onto my current beloved; Zenwalk :-* .

In truth almost any Linux distro can be setup as a server so you should be choosing one you're comfortable with, I'd recommend choosing one with live web updates, which an awful lot have but is still something to double check.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2006, 09:57 AM »
Eóin: what makes ZenWalk better than, say, Ubuntu, archlinux, gentoo? There's so many to choose from...
- carpe noctem

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2006, 11:03 AM »
Eóin: what makes ZenWalk better than, say, Ubuntu, archlinux, gentoo? There's so many to choose from...

And this is the real problem with Linux... AAARRRGGHHH~! WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE???

Windows is just so darn simple.  :-*  Need a server? Gee - pick 2000 or 2003. Not hard.

Need Linux? Let the crying and wimpering being...  :huh: ???

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 12:02 PM »
Right this is draft four of my attempt to respond-Yeah there are so many to chose from that you are overwhelmed before you even start. Recently I have used FreeBSD, Ubuntu, SUSE, Gentoo and tried to use Fedora Core but it wouldn't boot after install. In all cases I wanted the Gnome environment and apart from minor niggles e.g. couldn't get dual screens working in FreeBSD or that Gentoo and SUSE used an older ver. of Gnome, I was happy with them. Well maybe not with SUSE, thought it looked ugly.

But, functionally, all worked and were completely usable as a desktop and development platform. If I'd have to recommend one I'd say make a choice for either Gnome or KDE and then pick that flavor of Ubuntu as it really is the most user friendly in my opinion.

Why am I currently on Zenwalk? Well I installed it to try out Xfce and was so impressed I stuck with it. I'll probably end up moving to Xubuntu which also runs Xfce but I'm happy where I am at the moment and can't think of any reason to switch.

Renegade: re. the reliability of Ubuntu as a server. At the end of the day its no doubt using the same-ish versions of the key bits of software so it is probably as reliable as any other *nix.

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2006, 10:01 AM »
I recommend: use what your peers use. That way you can ask for help more easily.

Now tell us what your peers so we can recommend you use the same. Or pick ubuntu as I think it has by far the friendliest community.

Do not expect things to be done for you, but tell us what exactly(!) you want to achieve. I will try to help you with ubuntu. YOU make the choice.