ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Win/IIS to LAMP Converts

(1/4) > >>

Renegade:
Hello all,

I'm looking for feedback from those that have gone from Windows Server (2000 or 2003) and IIS to LAMP and what you've got to say about the transition and your general levels of satisfaction.

I'm thinking of getting a LAMP dedicated server because I can get it for the stupid low price of $30 a month, but before I do that, I want to find out about experiences from those in a similar position.

Any thoughts, muses, or anything is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

housetier:
First, I have a couple of questions:

1. Are you dissatisfied with IIS&co or are there other reasons why you need(!) to switch?
2. What would you use such a server for?
3. Do you have friends who could help you getting started?

Renegade:
I like WIndows & IIS, it's just that there's some software that won't run on it. So that's why. I'd use it for playing with mostly and probably try out some different kinds of sites.

I suppose I could ask around, but most of my friends run Windows servers.

Probably my biggest worries are the 'gotchas'. I know how to solve a lot of them in IIS, but not Apache. You know those wierd situations with settings buried 50 miles deep in the software...

housetier:
I wonder what software that would be... besides apache does work on windows as well. So you could get started with a WAMP system first and wouldn't need to learn a whole new operating system.

If you feel you must have a LAMP system, I don't want to discourage you any longer. But my advice is: start slowly to keep the frustration low.  8)

f0dder:
Why not make it a LLSP server, while you're at it? :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version