topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Error sending mail  (Read 3275 times)

goldfinch69

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Error sending mail
« on: March 30, 2020, 08:13 AM »
Hi,

I get this message "error sending mail" in a pop-up notification window when I send email via the 'default' email program.   My email client is 32 bit outlook 2013.    I love Screenshot Captor, but I need email to work.

David

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Error sending mail
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 10:01 AM »
Did you already configure your e-mail client in the drop down?

goldfinch69

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 12:12 PM »
Yes I did (see attached).

I tried configuring for each option and none produced an email.

When using the "default mail client" option, I get a "error sending mail(2)" message box.

When using the other options, I get no message.

In all cases an email is not sent.

Oh, and I reinstalled Outlook 2013 as a 32 bit app (it had been 64 bits)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 01:31 PM »
That was my one shot- I'm sure mouser will reply when he gets a chance.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 01:46 PM »
In the configuration panel from Windows, you will see a icon called 'Mail' appear after you install Outlook. When you double-click that icon, you are able to configure the settings from Outlook itself. Outlook should be able to define all required parameters automatically when you fill in your mail address and password. After this configuration you can test if you are able to send/receive messages within Outlook itself.

You then should check if Outlook is setup correctly for all mail features. It would not be the first time that Outlook messes up the default settings, so while you think it is setup correctly, it isn't. Can be a real time sink getting all settings correctly.

Newer versions of Outlook do this automatic configuring worse than older versions. Also, make sure there is no other mail client installed on the computer you install Outlook on. Again, it can mess up the default associations even when you tell Outlook to be the one and only mail client. Had that particular problem myself on one computer. Outlook refused to make all the default associations. Tried it with Outlook 2010, Outlook 2013, Outlook 2016 and Outlook 2019, all the same behavior. The only thing that helped was removing the other mail client using Revo Uninstaller to make really sure all associations were reset, then remove Outlook again using Revo Uninstaller, a complete reboot and finally re-install Outlook.

Another note:
If you use the 64-bit version of ScreenShot Captor (or any other 64-bit application for that matter) and use a 32-bit Outlook, do not expect things to go smoothly. Using a 32-bit application? Use a 32-bit Outlook.

Mixing and matching versions should not matter. In practice, the translation between 32/64-bit with regards to Office products is always giving you headaches in the best case scenarios. Especially when you have to start working with Extended MAPI features of Outlook and/or Exchange.

For 3rd party command-line mail clients I can recommend 'CMail' and 'SwithMail'.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 02:33 PM »
Shades guess of outlook not being registered as the default mail client might be a good guess as to why the "Default mail client" option might not be working.

If you use the 64-bit version of ScreenShot Captor
SC only exists as a 32-bit version.

The reason the last option method you are trying to use of "Use a 3rd party commandline email program" might be that SC doesn't by default install sendEmail.exe
You'll find instructions on how to download it and where to put it in your ScreenshotCaptor\Tools\sendEmail\ directory
(the readme tells you to download from http://caspian.dotco.../Software/SendEmail/ and then put it in that directory).

I'm not sure why the direct SMTP wouldn't be working, though i know sometimes smtp configurations can be tricky getting the port right, etc.

goldfinch69

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 02:51 PM »
Thanks all,

I fixed it.   It was Kaspersky's fault.   I have a love hate relationship with that program.

However, I made all the other changes you suggested as well, so there might have been multiple problems.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 02:54 PM »
 :Thmbsup:

This isn't the first time a security program has caused INVISIBLE problems with screenshot captor.  Sometimes they block screen grabbing as well.

The problem with these security programs is not when they block things, it's when they do so WITHOUT WARNING you about what they are doing, so you can't figure out why something is not working.