topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: LBC Access Violation when selecting node that opens PDF  (Read 6938 times)

leaves

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
LBC Access Violation when selecting node that opens PDF
« on: March 28, 2020, 11:30 PM »
Hello reader,

I'm experiencing an error, see attached screenshot, that happens whenever I click on a node that is configured to open a PDF file. This happens only in Configure and Preferences window. In the launch window menu items that link to PDFs open perfectly.
The error prevents any new menu items pointing to PDFs from being created or edited, either by drag-drop or manually.
LBC used to work perfectly, hence in the screenshot you can see PDF menu items have been setup without errors. I do not remember the first time this error occured but it's been there for at least one year.

My PDF reader is the latest FoxitReader. OS is Windows 7 pro, x64.
I have exactly the same issue with a clean Windows 10 pro x64 installation.

Would really appreciate your help on this.

leaves

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LBC Access Violation when selecting node that opens PDF
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 02:39 PM »
I'm just wondering should I raise this as a bug with LBC or can anyone assist in pointing the direction to resolving this access violation.

Thanks.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 04:57 PM »
Sorry, somehow I missed this original post.
I can add a pdf node and click on it in configuration dialog without error.

Which makes me wonder if it's something about the pdf file or the configuration in LBC that is making it confused.  Still makes it an LBC fault but I need more clues to try to figure out the nature of the problem.

If you drop a new different pdf file (one made a different way ideally), onto the config, does it have the same problem?

In your photo the command path looks like its not set -- I wonder if that's a clue.

If you can figure out any more clues as to when this problem happens let me know.

leaves

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 06:37 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

In your photo the command path looks like its not set -- I wonder if that's a clue.
Can't be sure but it may be blank due to the access violation. Otherwise LBC presumably will not try to get access to the pdf.

Which makes me wonder if it's something about the pdf file or the configuration in LBC that is making it confused.
It happens with known good pdf's. Some time ago it came to mind there may be a configuration file issue, so I made a new bar and dragged over my nodes but no luck with that. It does look like it's more likely to be something in the configuration, the mystery is what.

If you drop a new different pdf file (one made a different way ideally), onto the config, does it have the same problem?
Yes, the access violation happens immediately on dropping.

If you can figure out any more clues as to when this problem happens let me know.
I haven't previously investigated this much in case I can't access it at all. But to get more info, I now find that the same access violation (same address) happens with other files too. All my .chm files and strangely some .bat files. The same bat file under a node I can click on but the same bat file under another node gives the error.
All exe files are fine they're settings can be viewed no problem.

Another clue, or complication, is that I now notice if a text file is dropped under any node, LBC partly freezes, the tree vertical scrollbar does not respond and after a while other access violation boxes appear at intervals - see attached screenshot. After the access violation the only remedy is kill the process as LBC will not respond to closing the config window.

Note all the above only happens in the config. window and that without the config window open the bar opens all files without issue. For me now though I need to update the bar with different links so somehow I have to get it resolved your help is being much appreciated.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 06:56 PM »
And you're using the latest version of LBC?

Can you try this: download the portable version and unpack it somewhere and run it (exit your normal LBC); that will give you a new file.
Try dropping adding the pdfs to that new bar.  Let's see if it happens right from the start.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 11:21 PM »
Where do you have LBC installed?

leaves

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 12:48 AM »
The good news is that the issue is simplified, the not so good is the same access violation occurs.

And you're using the latest version of LBC?
Yes, the latest. Installed with the setup in: "C:\Program Files(x86)\LaunchBarCommander"

Can you try this: download the portable version and unpack it somewhere and run it (exit your normal LBC); that will give you a new file.
Try dropping adding the pdfs to that new bar.  Let's see if it happens right from the start
Closed down existing LBC and installed/run the portable version. Dropped a known good PDF onto the default bar (not via config. window), immediately the same access violation - see below.
LBC Capture drop directly onto bar.PNGLBC Access Violation when selecting node that opens PDF

Did the same onto the config tree, a different access violation and the tree window pane grays out - see second attachement.
LBC drop pdf onto config tree.PNGLBC Access Violation when selecting node that opens PDF

Tried dropping text files, got the same access violation. Tried dropping exe files, works perfectly.

I can't blame my Windows 7 pro because the same error appears with a newly installed windows 10 installation. Can any hints be gained from the access violation address?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 06:15 AM »
Tried dropping text files, got the same access violation. Tried dropping exe files, works perfectly.

How strange!  Loading the info from EXE is much more complicated and prone to problems then loading form normal files, so this suggests to me it must be a bug in LBC somewhere that just isn't showing up for most people for reasons unknown.
It could be related to a security program blocking access to the files -- or something else.

Let me make a debug version of LBC that tries to identify where the problem is -- I'm sure we can figure this out.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 06:17 AM »
Can you try this for me just to see if it gives any more clues:
Open up your LBC configuration and select some node you don't care about.
Now drag and drop a file onto the ICON IMAGE.. Normally this has LBC replace the node icon with the one representing the file you've dropped.  I'm just curious if that also causes an error when you drop pdf/text files onto it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 06:42 AM »
I've send you a private message on the forum with link to debug version.

leaves

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 07:49 AM »
Can you try this for me just to see if it gives any more clues:
Open up your LBC configuration and select some node you don't care about.
Now drag and drop a file onto the ICON IMAGE.. Normally this has LBC replace the node icon with the one representing the file you've dropped.  I'm just curious if that also causes an error when you drop pdf/text files onto it.

I wasn't sure which icon to drop on so I dropped on both '1' and '2' in the image below.
LBC access error on dropping to icon image.PNGLBC Access Violation when selecting node that opens PDF
1 - dropping exe file here inserted a child node under 'Network' without errors. Dropping a pdf as previously stated gives the error.
2- dropping exe file on the world icon gives the same access violation with the address as in the image below.
LBC ERROR.PNGLBC Access Violation when selecting node that opens PDF

I've downloaded the debug version and will give feedback tomorrow morning (Australia). Many thanks for following up on this.
My antivirus and firewall is Comodo, I have the containment sandbox disabled.

leaves

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 07:53 AM »
Sorry, the wrong image showing what I meant by '1 and 2' got uploaded, tried again...
LBC clarify where to drop.PNGLBC Access Violation when selecting node that opens PDF

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 08:01 AM »
Great, thank you !  This must be a strange error since it's happening so often for you but doesn't seem to be affecting others..  I'm excited to figure out what it is :)

ps.
I uploaded a new debug version that logs more info, so before you run tests make sure to redownload the latest debug version.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 10:38 AM »
Question- what is that network node?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 08:31 PM »
leaves and I fixed the bug!
It was caused by a bug in my code that was trying to pad out icons to 32bit boundary when storing them.  It must be an unusual system configuration where that is needed I think, so it wasn't affecting most people.

I have uploaded a new version of LBC to the official download location: https://www.donation.../launchbar-commander