topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:34 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Mini Newsletter for Mar 24, 2020 - Coronavirus Lockdown  (Read 29282 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Mini Newsletter for Mar 24, 2020 - Coronavirus Lockdown
« on: March 24, 2020, 07:34 PM »
Mini Newsletter for Mar 24, 2020
"Codename: Coronavirus Lockdown"

1. Newsletter Editorial

Greetings all.  As you know, the entire planet is currently dealing with a serious crisis -- a worldwide virus pandemic that is overloading hospitals and causing severe damage to entire economies.

I'm writing to you from Champaign, Illinois, in the United States, which has only just begun to see cases reported.  We are under a state-wide stay-at-home order, with more of the country expected to follow suit soon.  Many other countries are further along in the trajectory of infection and are struggling to figure out how to handle it.

I have been finding it hard lately to focused on being positive and productive.  I find myself feeling overloaded and anxious.  I don't know if any of you are having the same problem.

I do know that in times like these, there is some value in being able to share our thoughts, encourage each other, and maintain some sense of normality and community.

With that goal in mind, I thought I would send out a short newsletter sooner rather than later.

For the overwhelming majority of you, this email/newsletter will be of no interest to you, and you can safely stop reading now; we're not asking for any money, nor do we have any money to give out.

However, for any of you who have a little room in your life right now, who would benefit from some positive distraction, I'd like to invite you to make yourself at home on our forum and share a bit of your life with us.  We are a friendly bunch.

-jesse (mouser)
 Champaign, IL, USA

2. Mouser's Software Updates and Discussions

I've released a couple of very minor updates to my software since the last newsletter in January, plus a MAJOR alpha-version update to one of them, and a new small Android app.

3. Feel Good Favorites

I thought this would be a good occasion to highlight some of the longest running, feel good threads on our forum, and invite you to post in them.

4. Other recent threads on our forum

Just a few recent threads on our forum.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 10:42 PM by mouser »

MargotLinda

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Mini Newsletter for Mar 24, 2020 - Coronavirus Lockdown
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 04:32 AM »
Thank you so much for the "Feel Good Favorites"! As a 75 year old being medically compromised, I am self quarantined with all those negative and depressing OVID-19 reports. It is so nice to have some pleasant distractions, if even for a short time. I am not a computer designer or professional, but am reasonably comfortable with my computer and learning more all the time. This computer has helped with being isolated for the past two weeks and will continue into the foreseeable future. Thanks for the smiles and uplifting!
Margot

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 05:26 AM »
^ a big plus one to that. Thanks Margot
Tom

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 08:30 AM »
Can't recall the last time this newsletter was published.  Maybe alerts were sent to spam.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 08:51 AM »
Last one was in January.  You can see all of the newsletters by going to https://www.donation...index.php?board=63.0.

Ficus strangulensis

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 10:02 AM »
Hello, Jesse/Mouser.
Thanks for the mood-boosting email.
now I'll go thru it and see what OTHER good vibes I can glean.
Y'r ol' Bud,
Fike
mail artist, retired organic chemist

zxcvbn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Strandlife
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 05:24 AM »
My wife and I are in our late 80s, and she suffers from asthma from time to time so here in UK we have been self isolating since 16 March. The link below should take you to my last blog entry.

Chins up.
Keep smiling.

Blog post

zxcvbn

relipse

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I love Jesus. Coding in PHP primarily.
    • View Profile
    • See my GitHub
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 06:07 AM »
Hi,
I'm in Wisconsin here with my wife and 2 year old daughter.
Almost everything is on lock down. You can still support local businesses and such by going through drive throughs
but other than that just getting adjusted to staying inside most of the time. My faith is in Jesus as He keeps me going from day to day. I'm getting more time to read the Bible in the mornings which is good because I desire to know more of God before I actually meet Him.

Thankfully I still have a job, but I know of others who lost their jobs :(
Jim
Ex C++Builder coder, current PHP coder, and noob Qt Coder

spark62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 11:18 AM »
 Hi Mouser and every one else, I am in Scotland UK. and it is the same here, we were in Lockdown for 5 months and I was shielding all that time because of my health. But life goes on, we cant sit about and moan there are a lot worse off than we are.
Good to recieve your newsletter (coronavirus lockdown) I have not had one for a long time.
Hope you can all keep as well as posible.
Cheers
Spark62.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 11:26 AM »
Yeah this whole thing has gone on longer than I expected, and everyone is sick and tired of it.
But we are adapting to our new world -- it's our only option.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 12:10 PM »
Wonderful post and courageous !!!!!!

I live in Canary Islands - Spain . Spain is the first country in Europe in infested people but in the main touristics cities in my island the infected people is 0 (Arona (0), Adeje(0)).
I live in the capital of my province with 210.000 inhabitants with 1310 infected and 50 deaths. In my postal code 0 deaths. Unfortunately many of the deaths correspond to persons with prior pathologies and advanced age.

Everyday when we go out for shopping or taking a walk we must use "mascarillas" (face protection) . Both in the street or in locals.

Sure someone can say this is an opportunity to learn a lot. But I prefer the learning in more peaceful ways.
One of the first things I learned was that is possible to recognize a person with a mask.

So I remember now my childhood and the movies with masked people and good heroes.

My first mask was normal white with blue, the typical colour for surgery. Now we can find a lot of designs and colours.
All we have experienced new situations and how to face them.

I remembered the american movies about apocaliptic and disasters. But I haven't see any serious incident in my area. The sound of syrens is the only notice.
I don't read newspapers, no TV, less radio , no whatsapp groups about coronavirus.
I have followed the pandemia with the statistics page
https://grafcan1.map...4ff1987468d1fd70efb6

and construct my own news.

:tellme:

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 12:14 PM »
My wife and I are in our late 80s, and she suffers from asthma from time to time so here in UK we have been self isolating since 16 March. The link below should take you to my last blog entry.

Chins up.
Keep smiling.

Blog post

:-* :P
Nice age my friend

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 05:36 AM »