topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:50 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SkyIDE - Latest Release Information  (Read 114434 times)

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
SkyIDE - Latest Release Information
« on: August 28, 2006, 06:55 AM »
Hello everyone,

A public version of SkyIDE is finally available for download. Thanks to everyone that accepted to test SkyIDE privately. I do appreciate it. This public version probably still contains undiscovered errors. Just let me know if you find some and I will try to fix it ASAP.

Some of the screenshots on the web site are a bit out of date.

Download from: http://www.skyide.co...ds/SkyIDE_Alpha5.zip

Please let me know what you think of SkyIDE. Please also understand I am the only one working on it. It's a one man band :)

Please provide feedback.

Thanks

« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 10:43 AM by mouser »

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
Re: SkyIDE Alpha 5 - Public Download is available
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 08:29 PM »
Good work!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 01:32 AM by Gothi[c] »

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 03:49 AM »
Thanks :) Java support should be finished in 24hrs. Really, it should only take me 1 hour to add this but I am just taking a small break. Also, Convert Tabs Into Spaces will be added. At the moment, it will be as a Tool under the tools menu. It will scan you document and do the conversion. I expect Alpha 6 with the new features by the end of the week, possibly earlier. That will make the program support a total of 3 compilers, Java, Borland C++, and GNU C++. Once this is done I will look into supporting Digital Mars and others....Although, SkyIDE is a multi-language IDE, I mostly focus on supporting hard core languages such as C++, Java. Once I have achieved this, I will try to continue further development on HTML features etc to macth other IDEs. The good thing for Java is, if you want to use something powerful but simple to use to compile Java programs, SkyIDE should be fine. Just select compile and it would work as expected, the output will be captured and manipulated.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 04:01 AM by alexk »

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 03:08 PM »
Also, Convert Tabs Into Spaces will be added.
That's great!!

I hope many people will use your IDE and be satisfied with it! :)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 03:22 PM »
Good luck. It looks wonderful, but I am not doing a lot in C right now. Fantastic work!
Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 10:34 AM »
UPDATE FOR ALPHA 6:

ADDED: Full Java Support (this turned out to be trickier then what I expected but it finally works flawlessly). I spent a lot of time....mainly with fixing up the "CLASSPATH" programatically for a local session only....

Most IDEs for Java out there are written in Java, now you have an alternative :)
A Fast loading Java IDE written in C++.

ADDED: When you create a new project now, SkyIDE auto generates a separate dir for the project and all project files including the project's .exe file will be placed in that dir when compiling.

For example, if you set C:\MyDocs\CPPProj.sprj as a project filename,  when you press "Create", SkyIDE will auto-generate the C:\MyDocs\CPPProj folder and will save CPPProj.sprj in there along with all the associated files. Then when you compile the project, the executable will be saved in that folder.

This makes it easy to quickly copy the project with all the files in that folder and move it somewhere else....

ADDED: New GUI, also had to spend a lot of time with adopting the code to utilize the new style toolbars....

and a few bug fixes, minor ones found in Alpha 5.

Currently working on: Implementing "Convert Tabs Into Spaces" feature

Alpha 7: I intend to re-design the Create New Project Dialog and add checkboxes with all compiler flags available for that compiler. I will have to look at this deeply....May be I will do it in a later Alpha/beta.....

« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 10:38 AM by alexk »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 02:19 PM »
ADDED: When you create a new project now, SkyIDE auto generates a separate dir for the project and all project files including the project's .exe file will be placed in that dir when compiling.
This makes it easy to quickly copy the project with all the files in that folder and move it somewhere else....

excellent - i was waiting for that  :Thmbsup:

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 01:46 AM »

Is it possible to still keep a project directory structure with this?
(eg, keep sourcefiles in myProject/src, headers in myProject/include, and binaries in myProject/bin)

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 04:39 AM »
Yes it is, I like your idea, I don't think that should be a problem. I will do it in Alpha 7 as I just uploaded Alpha 6.

I had a few problems with Convert Tabs Into spaces. I am very sorry about it. The feature is not implemented at the moment but it is greyed out in the tools menu. The problem is, if your document is big with a lot of tabs, it would take a large amount of time to do the conversion. I used the most efficient code possible I know but still takes time. Looks like I will have to change the way the editor handles tabs in order to do it automatically.

I can easily detect when the user presses the tab key and when he does, I can just delete the char and start inserting spaces until the TabWidth property is read for *that* document type. That would be a better day of doing it.

Many many changes in Alpha 6. I have been working on it for most of the day today and yesterday.

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SkyIDE Alpha 6 - Uploaded. Many changes/additions
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 04:59 AM »
Download from: http://www.skyide.co...ds/SkyIDE_Alpha6.zip

Well, I have just uploaded Alpha 6.

Thanks to everyone for all the ideas . I actually do listen to your ideas and I do as much as I can to implement them.

I would greatly appreciate feedback on Alpha 6.
The source code in Alpha 5 is now very old. Please download Alpha 6 (whenever you can/feel like)

Here are the changes:

ADDED: Full Java Support

Added: New GUI Layout

Added: Java menu to compile Java files.

Modified: Moved "Compile Project" from the C++/Compile menu  to the Project menu where it belongs

Added: Compile Project in the right click menu of the project explorer. Now, to compile a project all you need to do is right click a project file and select "Compile Project" and the project starts to be compiled.

Added: Add Java Source File in the right click menu from the project explorer

Modifed: Add C+ Source File / Add C++ Header  File, now when you select this option, a new c++ source/header file automatically gets added to the project directory of where the project file resides thanks to the new way SkyIDE handles the projects. All you need to do is type in a filename for the new C++ file.

Fixed a few minor bugs with the compiler outputs (the GNU C++ one)

Added: Set as Main File to the right click popup menu in the project explorer has been added.

Modified: A few icons have been removed because they were too similar so it was hard to distinguish between options. Yep, I found some more annoyncences like that :)

To compile a C++ file only (not a project) just go to C++->Compile File

The default compiler will be used...or just selected Compile With GNU or Compile with Borland...

To compile a Java file only (not a project) just go to Java->Compile File

To change a project compiler, right click on a project file and select "Set Project Options" I personally love this. One minute your project is a GNU C++ project and the next minute it is a Borland C++ project. Very easy to change! Very convinient in my opinion. It is almost magical and when your press F9 to compile the file only, the right compiler is called or when you press F12 to compile the selected project, again the right compiler gets called.

All in total: support for 3 compilers, Borland, GNU and Java. More on the way :) Also, existing features will be improved and more added.

Also, fixed up a bug in the right click menu of the project explorer. Sometimes when you right clicked, an inappropriate/appropriate options would be enabled/disabled for the selected project. A silly error.....fixed.

Many features have been added and large sections of source code have been changed. Please test with caution, Thanks!

Screenshot of the new right click menu: http://www.skyide.com/images/main2.png
Screenshot of line tracker for people that don't know what it is:

http://www.skyide.co...ges/line_tracker.png

The line tracker also shows the text of the line where the caret is

Download from: http://www.skyide.co...ds/SkyIDE_Alpha6.zip

Gothi(c), regarding the directory structure you suggested, that should be no problem and I can confidently say and confirm this.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 05:31 AM by alexk »

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 06:29 PM »
The problem is, if your document is big with a lot of tabs, it would take a large amount of time to do the conversion.

Yes, the idea is that the tab keypress is detected and spaces are inserted instead.
On top of that there could be a source-code formatting button that you can click to convert the whole document when you want to. (as opposed to real-time)

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 03:08 AM »
Yes, the idea is that the tab keypress is detected and spaces are inserted instead.
On top of that there could be a source-code formatting button that you can click to convert the whole document when you want to. (as opposed to real-time)

Alpha 7 will have big changes, even bigger then Alpha 6. I intend to re-design the Create New Project dialog and add those options to the compiler where you can put a tick in a check box for a parameter to be used, also add dir structures in the project folder as you suggested and try to modify the tab key. I cannot promise I will be successful about the tab key but I will try. The other two features should be no problem. I will start with the easiest ones. Feel free to check out Alpha 6 :)

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 05:47 AM »
Is it possible to still keep a project directory structure with this?
(eg, keep sourcefiles in myProject/src, headers in myProject/include, and binaries in myProject/bin)

I am happy to inform you that I just implemented it :) For C++ and Java projects that is.

For C++: myproject/src for .cpp and .c
             myproject/include for .hpp and .h
             myproject/bin for .exe files

For Java: myproject/src for .java files
             myproject/bin for .class files

So that is done :) Now focusing on Create New Project dialog about the suggestion you mentioned earlier and then I will look into the tab-space issue again :)

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 06:56 AM by alexk »

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SkyIDE Alpha 6 - Uploaded. Many changes/additions
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 04:00 PM »
SkyIDE - Pre-Alpha  7 is available. Alpha 7 should be available by week end.

New Changes for Pre-Alpha 7:

Changed project directory structure:

For C++:  myproject/src for .cpp and .c files
              myproject/include for .hpp and .h files
              myproject/bin for .exe files files

Completely re-dedesigned the C++ new project dialog. Now you have check boxes to select/de-select compiler parameters for the selected C++ compiler.

Comming up in Alpha 7 is re-designing the Java New Project dialog to make it work like the C++ one and adding convert spaces to tabs support. Should be released by the end of the week.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 04:04 PM »
i love hearing about the updates and i encourage you to keep posting them.
however could i request that you start a single thread for SkyIDE updates, and always post new announcements as replies to that.  Would be easier for people to keep track of and less clutter on the forum.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 04:05 PM »
new changes so nice by the way  :up:

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 04:27 PM »
Thanks for that mouser! :) I am glad you like the changes :)

I will start new thread for each update now. I hesitated whether to do that. I wasn't sure which way would people prefer but thanks for clarifying it :) I will re-post the update as a new thread now :)

And I just figured out something really good. I can confidently confirm now that Convert Tabs into Spaces when the tab key is pressed will be available in Alpha 7. It would be extremely easy to implement.

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SkyIDE Pre-Alpha 7 available
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 04:33 PM »
SkyIDE - Pre-Alpha 7 is available. Alpha 7 should be available by week end.

New Changes for Pre-Alpha 7:

Changed project directory structure:

For C++:  myproject/src for .cpp and .c files
              myproject/include for .hpp and .h files
              myproject/bin for .exe files files

Completely re-dedesigned the C++ new project dialog. Now you have check boxes to select/de-select compiler parameters for the selected C++ compiler.

Comming up in Alpha 7 is re-designing the Java New Project dialog to make it work like the C++ one and adding convert tabs into spaces support. Should be released by the end of the week.

I can confidently confirm now that convert tabs into spaces will be supported in Alpha 7 :)

I do admit, I kind of dragged this feature with every release. I do apologize about it.

http://www.skyide.co...kyIDE_Pre-Alpha7.zip

« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 04:35 PM by alexk »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SkyIDE Pre-Alpha 7 available
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 04:36 PM »
ok we've got 3 skyide alpha threads at same time now, we want to combine them all into one or delete some..
whats your preference?

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SkyIDE Pre-Alpha 7 available
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 05:10 PM »
I'd combine them

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SkyIDE - Latest Release Information
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 05:32 PM »
done, all combined.

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2006, 04:03 AM »
 :up: Good work, alexk!

One little side note, though:
  the project directory structure I proposed was only an example, to allow users to specify their own directory structure. There should probably be just one base path, in which the user can make subdirectories to their own wishes, and save his files in any of the subdirectories, or subdirectories of the subdirectories. Because there is generally no way of knowing how they set up the structure of their project. Many people like their directory structure to reflect the structure of their project. For example, if the project is part of a bigger project. (eg: a project with several sub-projects). A directory structure could look like this:

\
\server
\server\src
\server\include
\server\bin
\client
\client\src
\client\include
\client\bin
\common
\common\src
\common\include

Server and client would be two separate projects, and "common" would be code shared between both the server and the client (this is a very common approach). The project-file of both the server and the client would have to be able to include the common source into their project.

It would probably be possible as it is now, by making the common code a separate project as well, but in the real world this is a bit impractical.

I guess my point just is, that the directory structure shouldn't be hard-coded but completely up to the user. And the IDE should be able to handle whatever the user makes his directory structure like, for example by showing separate folders in the project-tree, representing the user-created subdirectories.

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2006, 08:54 AM »
>> for example by showing separate folders in the project-tree,
>> representing the user-created subdirectories.

I will see what I can do, as usual I cannot promise but I will definately look into it.

By the way, there seems to be a bug with Pre-Alpha 7 with the "Open Header File" and "Open Source File" menu options. I have forgotten to change some code when I re-sructured the project directory. It's an easy fix. For the time being, I will stick with current projet structure until I make my code a bit more flexible. But yes, "src" and "include" and "bin" are hard coded so these dirs now must be present in order everything to work properly. Before was worse :) I had no dirs at all. Everything was saved in one project dir.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 09:06 AM by alexk »

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2006, 06:55 AM »
SkyIDE Alpha 7 is available.

Changes in this version:

-> Completely re-designed the Java New Project Dialog. Now looks like
    the C++ dialog with check boxes for compiler options (needs testing)

-> Added support for Tabs-to-Spaces. When you press the tab key,
    instead of adding tabs, SkyIDE will insert spaces equal to the tab width
    size instead of actual tabs. Works flawlessly :) Thanks for the suggestion
    Gothi(c). Much appreciated.

*UPDATED POST* Sorry I forgot to mention, that silly bug in Open Main File and Open Header file has been fixed.

Next, in Alpha 8, this is gonna be a huge fix up operation. I will *completely* re-write the project explorer. I have to do this. So in Alpha 8 there may not be new features added, it's gonna be more like internal code work....I hope to have it released by this weekend and may be add new features.

Download from: http://www.skyide.co...ds/SkyIDE_Alpha7.zip

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 07:33 AM by alexk »

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2006, 08:12 PM »