topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2020 Release: Portable Application Updater  (Read 7260 times)

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2020 Release: Portable Application Updater
« on: December 30, 2019, 07:28 PM »
NANY 2020 Release Information

Application Name Portable Application Updater
Version 1.0.0 build 1
Short Description Create update files to use with main program to make updating portable applications easier.
Supported OSes Tested on Windows 10 64 bit.
Web Page Portable Application Updater
Download Link Portable Application Updater
License USE/MISUSE AT YOUR OWN RISK! NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND! Do not distribute on the web publicly, instead link to this topic and/or web page.
System Requirements
  • .NET Framework 4.0
  • You still need a way to download the program update and then launch this tool for best usage.
Version History
  • 1.0.0 build 1 Initial Version
Author hamradio

Description
Create update files to use with main program to make updating portable applications easier.

Features
Ability to backup old application files.
Ability to enter passwords for password protected files in update zip file.
Ability to display overwrite prompts for single/all files in the update zip file.

Screenshots

Example usage with XYplorer
pau_xyplorer_example.png

Usage

Installation
Extract to a portable folder and read the usage_info.txt for further instructions. (Note: Do not put in the program files folder or other system folder.)

Using the Application
Read the usage_info.txt for further instructions.

Planned Features
None at the moment.

Help File
usage_info.txt

Uninstallation
Delete all Portable Application Updater files.

Known Issues
Currently do not know of any.

How I use personally:
I use XYplorer scripting to check for update of XYplorer, then download if needed and finally launch this application to update my portable copy.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 08:30 PM by hamradio »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2020 Release: Portable Application Updater
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 11:22 PM »
This looks interesting. But to be honest, I'm not really sure exactly what it is or how to use it. Is it an app to be used like DCUpdater used to be?

FYI VirusTotal shows 1/63 scanners marking the file as unsafe, and Jotti has 0/15 scanners marking the file as unsafe.

To others: Given that hamradio is a longtime, trusted member of this site, I feel it is safe to say that the 1 hit out of 78 scanners is very likely a false positive.

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 12:19 PM »
My use is with a XYplorer script I wrote which...

1. Does the checking of the which version you have and the online version.
2. Asks if you want to update which it then downloads or uses an already downloaded update file if it is found in the specified spot with the XYplorer script.
3. Launches this program with the command line parameters of the json data file I created for the updater settings for XYplorer along with the source file(the updated zip file) (as specified in the usage_info.txt file).
4. Then my program basically shows the dialog like in the example and you may then hit update. It then proceeds create a backup if you set that up in the json data file for the program you are trying to update.
5. After that it will then extract the zip file over the application data files.
6. It will when it gets to the application executable to extract it will attempt to close the correct executable (Should be able to find the one that is launched from the path setup in the json update settings file.), so that it can extract the application executable over the current one.
7. Once finished it will attempt to launch the application again.

I don't know if many people will find it useful or not...but I decided to put it out there.  Like I said though I do use it myself for updating my XYplorer portable copy/copies as the built in one I believe is just for installed copies and I wanted a faster way to update my portable copy/copies.

As for the scanners that have false positives...I wish those programs that mark it as false positives would get marked as a false positive for once and let them see how they like it when their app is marked that way. As I don't knowingly put that crap inside my programs and my Trend Micro shows clean.

This looks interesting. But to be honest, I'm not really sure exactly what it is or how to use it. Is it an app to be used like DCUpdater used to be?

FYI VirusTotal shows 1/63 scanners marking the file as unsafe, and Jotti has 0/15 scanners marking the file as unsafe.

To others: Given that hamradio is a longtime, trusted member of this site, I feel it is safe to say that the 1 hit out of 78 scanners is very likely a false positive.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 01:04 PM »
hamradio, correct me if i'm wrong, but it's a general utility that would let you make an updater for different portable applications, right?

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 01:48 PM »
hamradio, correct me if i'm wrong, but it's a general utility that would let you make an updater for different portable applications, right?

Yes, but it DOES NOT download the application zip file at this time. I might work on it for a future release or even work on implementing the capability to launch this program from my File Downloader application. Like I put in the requirements for now you still need a way to check for a program update, download the zip file and then launch this tool. :Thmbsup: