topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Laggy window resizing/dragging in Windows 10  (Read 5520 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Laggy window resizing/dragging in Windows 10
« on: November 05, 2019, 04:11 PM »
Anyone have tips for this?
I just built a new computer, super duper powerful.
Windows 10, when i move windows or resize them, the windows take so long (1-2s) to catch up to the mouse.  It's crazy.  Performance is fine, none of the gpu, cpu, ram ever goes past 10%, it is an overpowered computer.

Looking online, the problem seems to be high polling rate of USB mice.  I have a logitech g502, which is a gaming mouse, and can poll at up to 5000hz.  so they say lower it to 125.  fine, that helps a little, but not entirely.  What the hell?

Have not found other solutions.  Many people are complaining specifically about Excel, which is the worst, but i get it for all windows.  Some windows are faster than others, like Electron app windows, but still laggy.  At work, where i have a cheap computer and laptop, the response is perfect!  (except for excel).  I don't understand at all.

I can post a gif or video if it helps.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Laggy window resizing/dragging in Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 01:05 AM »
Assuming all drivers are up to date,
Might it be related to a 4k monitor on less than 60Hz refresh? That usually only gives display-lag, not Windows-lag, but it might be of influence :huh:

Do you have the Logitech mouse software installed? It might help to uninstall that (with reboot after), as it has repeatedly caused issues like you mention, in the past.

Also some antivirus software (I'm looking at you Avast >:() can cause 'lagginess' when dragging Windows around.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 05:09 AM »
Do you have the Logitech mouse software installed? It might help to uninstall that (with reboot after), as it has repeatedly caused issues like you mention, in the past.

I'm not on Logitech at the moment, but was for many years. My experience of the software was that sometimes it had a mild effect on speed, but sometimes interfered in a big way. I never made sense of it from internet comments or complaints, and concluded that the impact depended on the configuration and system at the time. So I didn't fiddle to improve it. If it was working well, I was OK with it (the features were sometimes helpful) and, if it wasn't, I uninstalled it. It was usually the first suspect for any sort of unidentified lagging.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 12:18 PM »
Assuming all drivers are up to date,
Might it be related to a 4k monitor on less than 60Hz refresh? That usually only gives display-lag, not Windows-lag, but it might be of influence :huh:

Also some antivirus software (I'm looking at you Avast >:() can cause 'lagginess' when dragging Windows around.
ok, i will try these suggestions

I did notice that my monitor was running at 59Hz in the settings instead of 60Hz.  I was wondering if that mattered.  It's a drop down that i can choose between 59 and 60.

I wonder if i use a PS/2 adapter and plug the mouse in there if it makes a difference.

I am running on 3 monitors.  But even so, that shouldn't be a problem the computer is very powerful and GPU never goes much past 10%.

No 4k monitors.  Two monitors at 1900x1200, and one 1080p.