topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: mystery annoying popup  (Read 3232 times)

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
mystery annoying popup
« on: November 13, 2019, 12:16 AM »
I have a laptop with Windows 10, and Norton 360, and Malwarebytes. I wish I could tell you more, but all I know so far is that a little box pops up in the lower right corner of Desktop about once a day with what looks like little ads. If I click on it all it does is disappear. I forget now what they all said. As I learn or figure out more, I'll keep you posted here (for whoever is interested). Many thanks.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: mystery annoying popup
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 02:37 AM »
Hi,
screenshot?
Is there a new icon in the system tray?
Tom

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 04:03 AM »
Okay it has a Brave browser icon and I think it may be associated with a website I recently began visiting.
I've recently begun seeing half-blocked screen notices on that web site, telling me to allow pop-ups, whereupon I reset NoScript to block all scripts there.
Next time it appears, I'll get a screenshot of my Desktop.

Edit: Okay, I pressed logos key + shift + 's' and got a screen shot 'snip'; now I don't know how to save it for uploading.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 05:06 AM by holt »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 10:53 AM »
It's a notification. Not all programs are well integrated with Windows 10's notification system, meaning that clicking the notification that pops up doesn't always bring the program to focus. It just dismisses it. And sometimes you can still see them in the notification slide-out bar on the side of the screen.

Don't allow notifications just because a website asks you for permission; only allow them if you know you want them, like for a webmail site.

Another possibility is that you enabled Brave Ads, so it is showing you an ad occasionally as per your settings. You can configure the frequency of ads or disable them entirely in the settings: brave://rewards/