topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Is there any plan to update to ScreenShot Captor ?  (Read 25097 times)

hubi

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is there any plan to update to ScreenShot Captor ?
« on: September 09, 2019, 08:44 PM »
Just asking as the last update was back in December 2018.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Is there any plan to update to ScreenShot Captor ?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 01:57 AM »
Yes!

I actually have a minor update as of July 29 ready but I've put off uploading it until I add a few more features..
Give me some more feature ideas or bugs to fix so I can have an excuse to publish the new version! ;)

ralfs

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 05:49 AM »
Hi Mouser,

nice to hear that you're looking for more feature ideas.

I remember some old ideas (but didn't find the original forum-topics):

• customizable toolbars, buttons for more (all) menu entries (my most commonly used functions are'nt available as toolbar buttons)
  • bigger toolbar buttons
  • customizable hotkeys for menu entries (functions)
Ralf

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 12:13 PM »
Mouser,  I loooove the "ragged edges" effect, and wish there was a button for that - or a standalone application (commandline?) to apply it.
It would be nice to have a button just for that effect.
Or maybe a "repeat last effect" menu item?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 04:19 PM »
@mouser: As a regular user of SC I'd like to contribute some suggestions for future/new features, but, quite frankly I reckon it's pretty good as it is. So, if if you've not been asked to build in new features and if it's not broken, then I'd not see much point in updating it.

ralfs

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 05:34 AM »
@mouser
are there any thoughts from you about the proposed feature ideas?
Ralf

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 06:20 PM »
customizable toolbars, buttons for more (all) menu entries (my most commonly used functions are'nt available as toolbar buttons)
bigger toolbar buttons
customizable hotkeys for menu entries (functions)

These are all excellent ideas and are at the top of my todo list.

If people let me know there favorite features that they would like to see toolbar buttons for I will add them right away.

ralfs

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 04:37 AM »
If people let me know there favorite features that they would like to see toolbar buttons for I will add them right away.
My favorite features for toolbar buttons and hotkeys are:

SpecialFX2: Patchtext/contents of selected region with background
SpecialFX2: Splice out strip defined by selection - Deluxe effects
Objects: Flatten all objects to background

I use them every Screenshot Captor session.
Ralf

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 05:14 AM »
My favorite features for toolbar buttons and hotkeys are:

SpecialFX2: Patchtext/contents of selected region with background
SpecialFX2: Splice out strip defined by selection - Deluxe effects
Objects: Flatten all objects to background
These, plus:
  • Pixelate within selection
  • Reselect last selected area
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 07:44 PM »
It's fun to hear people use some of these functions I wrote and never use.. I tend to assume if I don't use a feature then probably no one does either..

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 01:09 AM »
If it is not too hard to implement, I'd appreciate a rules-based file-renamer within Screenshot Captor.

This is a sample UI from a software that I use, PDF Creator.

PDFCreator_2019_10_05_001.pngIs there any plan to update to ScreenShot Captor ?

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 03:55 PM »
I'd appreciate a rules-based file-renamer within Screenshot Captor.

Would it be enough, or easier, to harness a command-line file renamer like BRC  (brother of the better-known Bulk Rename Utility (BRU)) or Rename Master?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 07:28 PM »
Would it be enough, or easier, to harness a command-line file renamer like BRC  (brother of the better-known Bulk Rename Utility (BRU)) or Rename Master?

I am currently using a mixture of 1-4a Rename, Flash Renamer and an AHK script to do the file-renaming, mostly to drop some extraneous additions to the file-name such as " - Mozilla Firefox", "- Chromium" and etc.

20191007082036_1.png

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2019, 05:00 AM »
Another feature I have been thinking about, if SC can use Ctrl+mousewheel up/down to zoom in/out of the image. Much like Google maps but with an additional use of the 'Ctrl' key.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2019, 05:09 AM »
SC already zooms in and out with plain mousewheel..

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2019, 07:32 PM »
doh, how did I miss that?

Edit: When scrolling on the image itself, SC only zooms out but doesn't zoom in. Maybe I changed something in the settings? It works well both ways in the "zoom meter" area though.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 07:38 PM »
Edit: When scrolling on the image itself, SC only zooms out but doesn't zoom in.
That's very odd -- this is a core feature of SC, to zoom with mouse wheel.. It should zoom in and out.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2019, 11:09 PM »
I'd appreciate a rules-based file-renamer within Screenshot Captor.
-lanux128 (2019-10-05, 01:09:56)

Could I suggest, before getting lost in the weeds regarding what sort of file renamer might be the best approach, that some consideration be given to whether there is a real need for this file renaming functionality to be added-in to SC in the first place?

Presumably, the idea of changing the image file's name is "because we've always done that" or maybe there's a desire to have it show pertinent metadata that one might wish to be reflected in the image name, for easier searching, or something.
You don't actually need to change the file's original name to do that. You just need to add/associate the metadata to the image, somehow. One way to do that is, if the images are in .jpg, then add the metadata as (say) EXIF data, and you could then use a sophisticated image management tool (e.g., Picasa) to index, catalogue and search that data. (Works brilliantly). Filenames could largely become irrelevant.
However, if you're capturing images using SC (ScreenshotCaptor) and prefer having .png files, then life can become very easy - if you're also using CHS (ClipboardHelp & Spell). You can use it as an excellent image capture management tool, and save your captured image file(s) in a path such as (for example):
...\Clipboard Help+Spell\Database\Files\2019\10\17_603x276_DF0CFDD5.png - with all sorts of metadata associated:
e.g., including:
*  Size/resolution: | 603x276  (20.69kb)
*  Notes: Any notes, text, URL links, or (say)references to other files (limit 9,999 characters, I think).

Using CHS and its tagging and especially its Virtua Folders feature, you can then categorize sort, classify, search and order that meta-data (and the images it relates to) pretty much any which way you want.

...This is why I keep banging on about CHS (ClipboardHelp & Spell) as being an ideal image capture management tool, if users (and its author) only but realised it. The user can forget about worrying about image filenames or what directory the ruddy image is stored in or where it is.

It really does seem rather like a no-brainer, to me: If CHS is running, then every screenshot image that goes to Clipboard also is saved to the CHS image database folder [NB: together with any post-capture SC(ScreenshotCaptor} artefacts added at time of capture, if SC was being used to make the screenshot], from where the user can, at their leisure, view that image saved - just scroll through the images flagged in the CHS Grid display and view the image (with zooming) in the CHS Memo display. The user can at that point also trigger a separate image viewer (e.g., Irfanview) from the view button in the CHS Memo display, which will have previously been associated with images in the CHS settings. Any half-decent image viewer will also have a built-in image management tool and metadata editing tool. The latter would typically be an EXIF editor - e.g., Irfanview is very good in both regards.

If the user then wants to operate on (edit/change) that image, then they can invoke the third-party image editing tool (e.g., SC is very good) from the edit button in the CHS Memo display and which would have been associated with image editing in the CHS settings. (NB: This would require that SC or other image editor be installed first, of course.)

Done this way, the user:
  • can forget about the image file (if/when needed, it's path and name are given in the Text tab in the CHS Memo display), and
  • can forget about the viewer/editor applications (they are seamlessly integrated into CHS settings), and
  • concentrate on the task at hand - namely the functionality that is required (e.g., image view and/or edit) regarding any particular screen capture or clip or other image selected in CHS.

All the above boils down to making the whole process of image capture management more effective/efficient. It's a useful time-saving approach, simply because it automates the integration of image application functionality. The user typically doesn't generally capture an image because they want to capture it per se, but because they want to do something with the image - or its file -  once it has been captured.

When seeking to improve a frequently-used and manually intensive process, the rule of thumb is generally to automate wherever possible/feasible and cost-effective to do so.
(As usually described in most/any Work Study practitioner's handbook.)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 11:20 PM by IainB »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2019, 09:31 PM »
doh, how did I miss that?

Edit: When scrolling on the image itself, SC only zooms out but doesn't zoom in. Maybe I changed something in the settings? It works well both ways in the "zoom meter" area though.

I figured this out. When scrolled to the max width of the viewing pane, SC stops zooming and instead scrolls horizontally.

nircap_20191024102544_1.jpgIs there any plan to update to ScreenShot Captor ?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2019, 09:36 PM »
It should always zoom in and out, BUT if the zoomed view won't all fit in the window, it will zoom in differently depending on where your cursor is.. That is, it zooms and then adjusts the panning position so that the area under your cursor stays in view.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2019, 06:47 PM »
It should always zoom in and out, BUT if the zoomed view won't all fit in the window, it will zoom in differently depending on where your cursor is.. That is, it zooms and then adjusts the panning position so that the area under your cursor stays in view.
thanks for the detailed explanation. :Thmbsup:

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2019, 05:08 AM »
Idea: add function to morph 2 (or a set of more?) images as an animated gif output? (maby with a "resolution tweaker" if images dont match or set to specific width*height output?)

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2019, 03:35 PM »
I use the splice all the time when taking screenshots of my browser and hiding the bookmarks  toolbar from the screenshot. No-one needs to know my shortcuts ;-) 
Now if could auto detect a web page screenshot and auto remove the bookmars bar that would be pretty cool (but i'm not expecting that)
The scrolling capture seems iffy to me - a colleague of mine was just trying to get that to work and his browser would scroll but he couldn't get the page to line up - I couldn't even get my browser (chrome) to scroll!

I'd love, love, love  the feature request at https://www.donation....msg417352#msg417352 to give the auto numbering stamps

When you are done I'll have to dust off my chocolately script to update the new version - it's been a while since I updated the chocolatey package.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2019, 04:44 PM »
auto numbering stamps

I agree, this is at the very top of my todo list.

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 06:05 AM »
Just got notification from chocolatey last night that the new version failed checks (because the checksum changed). Updated chocolatey script this morning following my notes from 2 years ago and was very pleased that I could still make sense of them. New version has been submitted to chocolatey to get pushed out today hopefully.