topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Systemus  (Read 30812 times)

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Systemus
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2020, 04:20 PM »
Okay, well, I don't know.  Maybe if I removed the Elevated Command Prompt?  It is a cmd file that Systemus Launches.  I guess I could offer it separately or just leave it out.  Seems like a nice feature to have, though.  It's just a cmd file and the user can view it normally.

Or I could just leave it and folks will just have to trust me.  haha

But if I scan it with my own MSE - it detects nothing.

It passes a scan with MalwareBytes, too - the entire zip file passes - no threats (latest database).
Make sure you have the version 1.3.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 05:57 PM by BGM »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2020, 06:05 PM »
Or I could just leave it and folks will just have to trust me.

For the record, I gave up caring about false positives in my own software years ago.  If my own software body of work or reputation isn't enough to convince somebody to use my software, I'm perfectly fine with said person not using it.  IMO, it's not worth wasting the cycles on.

smaragdus

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2020, 07:45 PM »
@BGM

@smaragdus - See what I mean?

I absolutely do not care about false positives. I still use an antivirus for a single reason- when I update some programs they insist on integrating to Windows shell and my antivirus asks me whether to allow or block shell integration. Blocking shell integration when updating certain programs spares me some time and efforts as I would not need to open and edit the Windows registry. Anyway, for me common sense has always been better than the best antivirus, actually it seems that all the antivirus programs are pretty shitty.

By the way- do you still accept feature requests for TextWorx?

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2020, 09:48 PM »
@smaragdus, For TextWorx, sure, if I think I can do it without too much trouble.  :-[ Uh, just post in the textworx thread if you don't mind.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2020, 02:23 AM »
As for me, I just wanted to have a look -- I added the exe to the ignore list. Sorted.
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2020, 12:05 PM »
Or I could just leave it and folks will just have to trust me.

For the record, I gave up caring about false positives in my own software years ago.  If my own software body of work or reputation isn't enough to convince somebody to use my software, I'm perfectly fine with said person not using it.  IMO, it's not worth wasting the cycles on.

Quoted for Truth.  When I started getting FP in tools that I created for myself, I realized that the AV tools had lost their way.  (Actually before then... but that just sealed it).

I have a piece of diagnostic software that downloads a file, then runs an xslt transformation on it- pretty bog standard stuff.  Got flagged as a trojan.   :-\

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2020, 01:23 PM »
In the next version, I intend to allow the user to customize the main window.  You will be able to show the info there that you like and in the order you like.  You'll also be able to set the colours and text size for the values.  AND you'll be able to do this for each menu configuration.

Aside from the info that it displays presently, is there anything else that could be particularly useful that you might want? 
Remember that Systemus isn't designed to be a full-spectrum system-info app (there are better apps than this for that purpose) - it's just supposed to show what you need the most.

Also, in the last version I fixed most of the default menu items.

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2020, 03:00 PM »
Thanks for this useful little tool

I can confirm that MSE on Windows 7 still detects it as malware. I had to add it to the exclusions list

A small bug (?) that I noticed: Systemus doesn't detect the MAC address of my PCIe wifi card. It just displays "N/A"

is there anything else that could be particularly useful that you might want?

I think the Default Gateway and/or DNS Server(s) would nicely complement the IP address
I'll have what she's having

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2020, 05:16 PM »
Ah, so I think I know about the MAC address.  If you have multiple network cards then you have multiple MAC addresses.  I only added the first one (whatever it is) to Systemus.  I'll add an option to show the 2nd through 4th ones, too.

I think I can add the gateway and DNS servers, too.

Thanks for the idea!

As for the malware detection, I don't know.  My scanners (on Windows 7, and up to date) don't detect anything when I scan the object itself.  Strange.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2020, 07:55 PM »
Systemus Updated to Version 1.4.

Gateway and DNS Server is added.
Now you can customize the main window, and have a different main window for different menu configurations and you can switch between them.

I also tweaked the MAC and IP Addresses; hopefully, now they will reflect the working set.  Aside from that, you can add up to four existing ones with the custom main window info configurations so that you can show more than one if you have multiples.

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2020, 12:44 PM »
Systemus Updated to Version 1.4.

Gateway and DNS Server is added.
Now you can customize the main window, and have a different main window for different menu configurations and you can switch between them.

I also tweaked the MAC and IP Addresses; hopefully, now they will reflect the working set.  Aside from that, you can add up to four existing ones with the custom main window info configurations so that you can show more than one if you have multiples.

Great! Thanks for implementing those changes

I just tried to download it again, but it tells me "Download not available"

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2020, 01:48 PM »
Try it now.  Sometimes the Wordpress seems to not do quite what I tell it.

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2020, 04:25 PM »
Ok, now it did download correctly

The changes worked, Systemus now properly detects my MAC address

But it throws an error when starting:

https://i.imgur.com/UG2CZj0.png

If I click "Continue", then everything works, but that error seems to be related to the changes in this version

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2020, 07:19 PM »
@city_zen - thanks for that!  Strange, I don't have any errors when I run the program;  but I don't really have any convenient way to test on other systems, and don't have any beta testers.
Are you on Win7 or Win10?  And are you running on an admin account?  What happens if you run Systemus AS ADMIN - do you still have the error?

I'm not sure why it's throwing the error, but at least I can catch it so it doesn't display an error popup.

Can you show me your config's systemus.ini file contents?  I don't mean the systemus.ini in the application folder, but the one in the config's directory.

If you want the gateway to appear, create systemus.ini in the config dir and paste this code into it.  (directions are in the help file about how this works) - then restart Systemus and you'll get a larger report.

[main]
computername=x||green
serial=xx
osversion=x||green
bit=xx||green
make=x||green
bootmode=x||green
username=x||green
admin=xx||green
domain=x||green
domainmember=xx||green
ipaddress=x|bold|fuchsia|10
dhcpenabled=xx
macaddress=x|bold|fuchsia|10
dnsserver=x||green
gateway=x
subnet=xx
memory=x||green
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 07:29 PM by BGM »

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2020, 08:32 PM »
@city_zen - thanks for that!  Strange, I don't have any errors when I run the program;  but I don't really have any convenient way to test on other systems, and don't have any beta testers.
Are you on Win7 or Win10?  And are you running on an admin account?  What happens if you run Systemus AS ADMIN - do you still have the error?

I'm on Windows 7 and the error stays the same when I run Systemus as administrator (right click -> "run as admin")

I don't know if it's relevant but my system is configured to automatically get the DNS Servers addresses

I'm not sure why it's throwing the error, but at least I can catch it so it doesn't display an error popup.

Can you show me your config's systemus.ini file contents?  I don't mean the systemus.ini in the application folder, but the one in the config's directory.

There are two "config" directories: TemplateConfig and DefaultConfig
The DefaultConfig didn't have a systemus.ini file, only the TemplateConfig does. And that file's contents is exactly the same as the code you gave me:

[main]
computername=x||green
serial=xx
osversion=x||green
bit=xx||green
make=x||green
bootmode=x||green
username=x||green
admin=xx||green
domain=x||green
domainmember=xx||green
dhcpenabled=xx
dnsserver=x||green
gateway=x
subnet=xx
memory=x||green

If you want the gateway to appear, create systemus.ini in the config dir and paste this code into it.  (directions are in the help file about how this works) - then restart Systemus and you'll get a larger report.

[main]
computername=x||green
serial=xx
osversion=x||green
bit=xx||green
make=x||green
bootmode=x||green
username=x||green
admin=xx||green
domain=x||green
domainmember=xx||green
dhcpenabled=xx
dnsserver=x||green
gateway=x
subnet=xx
memory=x||green

I did that (actually, I copied the "systemus.ini" file from the TemplateConfig to the DefaultConfig folder, since the contents are the same) and it worked  :up: The Gateway is there and it's correctly detected

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2020, 09:03 PM »
I just uploaded version 1.4.1 which should be able to bypass the startup error.  I still don't know why the error is there as I cannot reproduce it, though.
My Windows 7 receives everything from the DHCP server.

In the help file, under Window Info, you can see how to customize the window information. 

I'm also pleased that you found the sample config's systemus.ini file and understood to copy it to your own!  Kudos for that!
Yeah, I should write an options panel to do all of this, but that takes a really long time, and my programs aren't so popular, so I invite the techie folks like yourself!

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2020, 11:32 AM »
I just uploaded version 1.4.1 which should be able to bypass the startup error.  I still don't know why the error is there as I cannot reproduce it, though.
My Windows 7 receives everything from the DHCP server.

I downloaded version 1.4.1 and tried it. As they say, I have good news and bad news  :D
The good news is that the popup error is indeed gone
The bad news is that all of the network info (IP address, MAC address, etc.) is blank. It doesn't even display "N/A", it's just blank. Except for the DHCP Server, which shows "1"

I still haven't tried to customize the information. I'll try it later and let you know is there's any additional information that could be missing

Anyway, thanks for trying to fix these issues

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2020, 02:14 PM »
@city_zen,

Okay, so what is happening is that for some reason that I can't discern, the error is thrown when Systemus tries to fetch the network info.  I added a catch statement to return null if there is an error doing that.  So I guess we are able to fetch part of the info, but not all. 

What I can do is to try and refine the function so it doesn't fail completely.  Never thought I'd have to do that, but we'll see how it goes.

Give me a little time and I'll fix it up.  I appreciate you working with me!  You never know how things will work out on someone else's machine.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2020, 05:19 PM »
Updated to version 1.5.  Lots of new features, too.  I come up with a different way of fetching the network information, so maybe you won't have any problems this time.

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2020, 06:28 PM »
Updated to version 1.5.  Lots of new features, too.  I come up with a different way of fetching the network information, so maybe you won't have any problems this time.

It's getting better, but there are still a couple of problems.

The network information is 50-50:
DHCP Auto, MAC address and DNS Server(s) are OK
IP address, Gateway and Subnet are wrong, they all display "0.0.0.0"

However, if I replace ipaddress by ipaddress1 in the systemus.ini file of DefaultConfig, it properly detects the current IP address of my first network card. The same with ipaddress2, it detects the (also current) IP address of my second card. This second card is a VPN, by the way

The same is true for macaddress1 and macaddress2, both are correctly detected. But if I just leave it as macaddress in systemus.ini, it always returns the MAC address of the first network card.

Gateway and Subnet always display 0.0.0.0, no matter what I do

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2020, 06:39 PM »
Interesting.  Can you pm me (or email me) your "ipconfig /all"  - maybe zip a text file - I will delete it when I'm done looking at it.
I think it has to do with the number of network interfaces.  Sometimes a computer has several, and not all are active.  VirtualBox can add one, Teamviewer can add one, and there may be more than one NIC.  If I had other info, I might be able to compare.  Of course, you can delete any info from the ipconifg report that you want to remove.  I mainly need to see which ones are active and pulling dns and dhcp.

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2020, 07:48 PM »
Interesting.  Can you pm me (or email me) your "ipconfig /all"

Done. I just sent it to you via PM.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2020, 07:59 PM »
Thank you very much!  I guess I do have a beta-tester!

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2020, 05:47 PM »
Fixed.  Version 1.5.1 will now ignore any adapters without ipaddresses - such as your bluetooth interface.
In PM you told me it works for you now, I'm just mentioning it here for the sake of the thread.

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2020, 04:07 PM »
Correct. Version 1.5.1 works perfectly for me  :up:

Has anyone else tried this latest version?