topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Syncovery - OneDrive - Encryption  (Read 8802 times)

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Syncovery - OneDrive - Encryption
« on: August 14, 2019, 07:00 PM »
Hello,

since I think there are quite a bit of Syncovery users here, I thought I could ask you the following question:

Can I use Syncovery to synch my files to OneDrive without using the OneDrive folder on my machine in more or less real-time and with encryption on OneDrive?

So that any file I set Syncovery to sync will get uploaded to OD with encryption when I change the file on my PC?

Hope you can answer that.

Be well.
Regards, Brahman

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Syncovery - OneDrive - Encryption
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 10:20 PM »
I'm not getting what you're asking.

You want to have items on your PC, and then use Syncovery to sync those items to your OneDrive folder to sync to the cloud?  i.e. if you have c:\users\username\documents and c:\users\username\onedrive, you want to sync the files in documents to an encrypted .sz file in OneDrive and have that sync to the cloud? 

If that use case is the one that you're thinking of, it should work.  It depends on if Syncovery releases the .sz file after copying (or you just close it after the job).

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 04:10 AM »
Almost correct...

I want Syncovery to synch and encrypt files DIRECTLY to the OD cloud without using the OneDrive folder, in fact I don't even want to install the OD desktop app, if that's possible.
Regards, Brahman

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 04:58 AM »
One assumes you're using the Standard version of Syncovery since the Pro/Premium versions can access cloud services directly, (including OneDrive) ... then again, since the Standard version apparently doesn't have encryption (according to their Feature Matrix) ...

One has to wonder exactly which version you are using?

Addendum:
FWIW, just downloaded, installed, and created/ran a profile which synced to OneDrive - took all of 5 minutes.
Select Internet as the destination, select OneDrive from the drop-down selection, fill in the Account, continue with other settings.
When you first run the profile it will open your browser and you can log into Microsoft Live to authorise Syncovery access to OneDrive.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 08:20 AM by 4wd »

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 10:11 AM »
Hello,
thanks for your replies.

My question was a pre-sales question. I do assume I would need the pro version to do what I want if Syncovery can do it.

So you are synching to OneDrive and it is encrypted and it is not a one time synch but can run in the background and automatically updates files added or changed to OneDrive?

If you could confirm that, that would be great.
Regards, Brahman

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 11:01 AM »
I'd never actually used Syncovery to sync directly to OneDrive.  As I use OneDrive locally, it's not something that I need (I just sync from OneDrive to my NAS so that I have it in three places), but it's a good feature to be aware of, and I definitely learned something!

As far as the syncing process, they do have a real-time option in Pro that will update as files are changed.  Not sure how exactly that works with encryption though.  The description of the feature can be found at https://www.syncover....com/real-time-sync/

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 11:04 AM »
I do assume I would need the pro version to do what I want if Syncovery can do it.

If you want Real-time Sync, Encryption, and Cloud Service integration, then yes.

So you are synching to OneDrive and it is encrypted and it is not a one time synch but can run in the background and automatically updates files added or changed to OneDrive?

Files are encrypted and file changes are mirrored on OneDrive within a few seconds of being detected on the system, (according to the testing I just did).

SyncBack Pro also offers similar features for a similar price, (mentioning because this is what I use at home), doesn't hurt to have more options.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 11:09 AM by 4wd »

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 11:16 AM »
@wraith808
We both learned some things today. :) That's what life is for! Lol

@4wd
Thanks for setting it up and checking - that's very helpful of you!

@everyone
I know I am not such a frequent user as I used to be, but it always feels good to visit. It's like a home away from home (eeehhhh actually I don't have a home any more, since I became a nomad - Hahaha)

Greetings to @mouser and all the lovely people at Donationcoder - one of the best software communities on the web!
Regards, Brahman

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 05:15 PM »
@everyone
I know I am not such a frequent user as I used to be, but it always feels good to visit. It's like a home away from home (eeehhhh actually I don't have a home any more, since I became a nomad - Hahaha)

Greetings to @mouser and all the lovely people at Donationcoder - one of the best software communities on the web!
same here!  :Thmbsup:

dc has clearly suffered as social media has taken off in past 10 years.  I know what affected me the most...reddit.  and changes in life.  but this is still the OG home!  much more civilized, we are not trying to get points and stuff so we have more honest discussions here.  mousey got married, ha!  anyway, glad to be back.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 05:19 PM »
to the OP...
not sure.  I use syncovery pretty heavily, but mainly with files.  So I haven't tried the onenote syncing....but the program can do it natively (as it is written on the website).
4wd's test seems to confirm that.

syncovery is one of the best programs ive ever used.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 05:45 PM »
@everyone

same here!  :Thmbsup:

dc has clearly suffered as social media has taken off in past 10 years.  I know what affected me the most...reddit.  and changes in life.  but this is still the OG home!  much more civilized, we are not trying to get points and stuff so we have more honest discussions here.  mousey got married, ha!  anyway, glad to be back.

Nice to have you back!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 11:16 PM »
I became a nomad
Better than being angry all the time!

Nice to see you around. I'm still impressed by your discourse on Vuescan.

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 01:38 PM »
Thanks for all your sweet words.
Regards, Brahman

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 05:15 AM »
@brahman:
Can I use Syncovery to synch my files to OneDrive without using the OneDrive folder on my machine in more or less real-time and with encryption on OneDrive?
So that any file I set Syncovery to sync will get uploaded to OD with encryption when I change the file on my PC?
That's interesting.
When one saves stuff to either OneDrive or Google Drive, both services examine the data and will sometimes:
  • A: delete bits of your files - e.g., suspected virus in a file attached to a OneNote document page that the client PC's Windows Defender didn't spot.
    When this happens it discombobulates the syncing for the entire Notebook, leaving the Notebook "unsyncable". One then enters a world of pain trying to restore the situation, which can only be done by detailed analysis and comparison of the primary and cached copies of the Notebook being synced.

• B: CHANGE the item by attaching a non-removable flag to it (e.g., licenced/copyrighted material that bore no copyright when it was given to you) - in the case of a flag, the flag is permanent/persistent and you can never get your original file back in its original state.

By definition, a backup site needs to be trusted, and one cannot trust any site that does the above (QED).
So, it's caveat emptor and one need have no illusions about that.
Therefore, if I want to truly protect my stored data on OneDrive or Gdrive, I parcel it in an encrypted .7z compressed file. (That's also a good way to minimise storage utilisation.)
I have my User ID folders synced to OneDrive by default, so I can theoretically go to another Windows PC and get the same (current) data in those folders on whatever client I am using, but I don't really need encryption for those.
One of my main PIMs (Personal Information Managers) is OneNote. The user can have several OneNote Notebooks open at the same time, and they could be variously held either on the client device or in the Cloud (on OneDrive). I have most of them in the Cloud now, so I am usually working on a cached copy of a Notebook which is held locally on the client device and changes to it are regularly mirrored up incrementally as they occur, to the primary copy in the Cloud.
The user can encrypt whole Notebooks, or just some subsections/pages in the Notebooks. The user has to open them with the appropriate key in order to read/write to them, or search them (when closed, these encrypted objects become invisible to searches).
When I want full encryption, I tend to use MEGAsync for stuff that could be dynamically changing, or Telegram for encryption of general and large file storage (e.g., movies collections, .MP3 collections). Telegram (which is $FREE for ever and with full functionality) is very secure and potentially amazingly useful, as, once files have been saved into the default Telegram Cloud, the user can clear (delete) them out of the local client device's cache - which could be on (say) a PC, or a smartphone. Those files remain in the Telegram Cloud and can be downloaded by the user to any client device, or sent as shared links for those files to be downloaded by other users.
Anything (file or discussion) stored in the Telegram Cloud is encrypted and will stay there either until the user deletes it, or when the user account has not been active for 12 months - in which latter case, the Telegram system auto-expunges that account and all its (still encrypted) data.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 05:28 AM by IainB »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2019, 05:28 AM »
Never assume that anything which you don't encrypt before uploading will be encrypted on the remote server.