topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SC main window shows up after capture  (Read 5212 times)

phillie08

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SC main window shows up after capture
« on: September 25, 2018, 10:43 AM »
This is the second problem that occurred recently. After taking a screenshot the main windows shows up which I find disturbing. In the preferences I marked "stay minimized" after capture show (interface options). Looks like something does not work properly unless I missed something which would not be exactly for the first time.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: SC main window shows up after capture
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 12:22 PM »
I think I can guess what's happening.

Here's one case where this can happen: If SC main window is left not minimized, but on screen and behind another window, then when you take a screenshot, SC will hide itself and then redisplay itself after capture -- suddenly becoming noticeable.
It will do this even if you have the setting set to "Stay minimized".

Said another way, the "stay minimized" option will keep SC minimized, but there are times when you've left the SC window open on screen and brought up other windows in front of it, obscuring it.  In such cases, the "stay minimized" option has no effect, and the default behavior of hiding before capture and then restoring after capture kicks in.

It can be disorienting.

Maybe I could change it so in that case SC would hide and restore, but then slink behind other windows as it was before the capture..

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 01:25 PM »
I cannot reproduce error, good that mouser can.
Or i might use it wrong/correct, dont know, maby both?

SC is in Notification, left to Time/Date Display, i capture using Hotkeys, equal how hard i try, a Mainpage i never see at all, just a Save-File-Dialog.
If i need Mainpage, i click on Icon and push [X] when not needed anymore, it'll minimize to notifacation area again.
Works flawless for me.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 02:50 PM »
Here's one case where this can happen: If SC main window is left not minimized, but on screen and behind another window, then when you take a screenshot, SC will hide itself and then redisplay itself after capture -- suddenly becoming noticeable.
It will do this even if you have the setting set to "Stay minimized".

Said another way, the "stay minimized" option will keep SC minimized, but there are times when you've left the SC window open on screen and brought up other windows in front of it, obscuring it.  In such cases, the "stay minimized" option has no effect, and the default behavior of hiding before capture and then restoring after capture kicks in.

It can be disorienting.

Maybe I could change it so in that case SC would hide and restore, but then slink behind other windows as it was before the capture..
I've always considered this a bug and would like very much if you could change the behaviour.
I usually have the SC window open if I'm taking a bunch of screenshots; I might work on one a bit then go back for another couple. I always just want the SC window to *not* come to the front.

I don't really understand the hide and restore action of SC window in this case - in fact it's not something I ever really need (I think). Can that be disabled? (I unable to check atm.)
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 04:11 PM »
I don't really understand the hide and restore action of SC window in this case - in fact it's not something I ever really need (I think). Can that be disabled? (I unable to check atm.)

Yes, in fact you should be able to avoid this problem if you go to the Capture Options tab, and uncheck "Hide Screenshot Captor Window".

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 09:52 AM »

Yes, in fact you should be able to avoid this problem if you go to the Capture Options tab, and uncheck "Hide Screenshot Captor Window".
interesting:
on laptop (win.7/portable SC v4.29.0) it works properly, whether checked or unchecked --
when checked, there *is* a flash, presumably where the windows shows momentarily and hides again.

Will report from desktop -- where I had the problem -- prob at weekend.
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 06:17 AM »
^ on my desktop, SC main window shows up after capture with following settings:

this setting unchecked:
"the Capture Options tab, and uncheck "Hide Screenshot Captor Window""

Hide main form is selected via tray icon context menu (not sure where that is in options) -- see shot below.

EDIT// via Capturebar, setting post-capture is "Save [file] but keep main window minimized" //EDIT

Screenshot - 2018-10-01 , 12_58_57.pngSC main window shows up after capture

But when I take a screenshot, if the SC window is open in the background, it will come to the front and stay there.

Presumably some setting is different between the machines...

SC up-to-date on both machines.
Windows 7 x64 both
Installed in desktop, not sure if laptop portable or installed..
desktop ini file attached
Tom
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 06:30 AM by tomos »

dakotahawkins

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 09:16 AM »
I also started having this issue both at home and at work.

I just went in to the settings, un-checked and then re-checked "Hide Screenshot Captor Window," accepted the settings, and hid the main window from the tray icon context menu... now it's fine.

One thing that would have helped me (maybe) is having "Hide Main Window" available in the main window's own View dropdown, though this may have been because (I think) after simply closing the main window it remained minimized.

Is it possible something changed with the settings in the latest version that inadvertently un-set "Hide Screenshot Captor Window," requiring it to be toggled off/on in the GUI to take effect again?