topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Interesting, low-effort, blackmail-esque spam  (Read 7766 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Interesting, low-effort, blackmail-esque spam
« on: June 25, 2018, 12:18 AM »
I got an email today from someone named Gaye Boso (first though was literally, "Gay Bozo? Is this a prank?") with the following content:

Subject: Тiсkеt#224466327: <[email protected]> 25-06-2018 02:05:42 Your secret video here

Hi.

Hopefully you actually don't mind my english language sentence structure, considering that i am from Saudi arabia. I toxified your device with a virus and im in possession of your personal info out of your computer system.

It previously was installed on a mature internet page then you have picked the online video and clicked on it, my application quickly got into your computer.

After that, your webcamera captured you flying solo, in addition i caught a footage that you've seen.

Just after a little while it also picked up all of your device contact info. In case you need me to wipe out your all that i have - transfer me 500 eu in bitcoin it is a crypto. It is my account transfer address - 1Eqp....QuYW [edited to hide full address]

Now you have 28hours. to produce a decision As soon as i will get the transfer i am going to wipe out this footage and every thing thoroughly. Otherwise, you should be sure that this evidence would be submitted to your buddies.

This reminds me of the old "honor system virus" and I can't help but have a similar feeling of amusement plus some bewilderment about this one.

Also amusing was Gmail trying to be helpful with one-click auto-responses: "I accept the terms," "No worries, thanks for the update," and "I'm not interested."

And another interesting detail is it was sent to an email address that, if memory serves me correctly, I created specifically for a parking garage a couple years ago when traveling to Seattle. So it seems there's been a data breach of some sort, or they sold my data. I checked haveibeenpwned.com and it doesn't have any results for the address in question.

Anyway, I thought some of the rest of you here might get a kick out of this ridiculous spam. :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Interesting, low-effort, blackmail-esque spam
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 12:22 AM »
Also amusing was Gmail trying to be helpful with one-click auto-responses: "I accept the terms," "No worries, thanks for the update," and "I'm not interested."

;D ;D ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 08:26 AM »

;D ;D ;D

... So which auto response did you choose?  ;D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 04:34 AM »
I just got another one of these with virtually identical contents. Only this time it was from a different person who said they were from Indonesia, they demanded 750 USD in BTC, and it was sent to a different email address of mine. :huh:

Oh, and the subject was slightly different. It said "definitely read this" instead of "Your secret video here." But it followed a similar format for having a ticket number and the current date.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 10:12 AM »
I saw a new scam that's going around where they'll send you the password associated with the e-mail address on whatever site, and say I have secrets that I retrieved using your details, and you have to pay X in order for me not to release them. 

An example of it was on LICD - https://leasticoulddo.com/comic/20180731 (NSFW), and is currently unfolding, but people are responding in the comments that they received the same message.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 11:01 AM »
I dont know, the first example (OP) doesnt seem so ridiculous to me -- think of how seriously the idea of cameras being 'hijacked' has been taken over the years. With smartphones, it seems even more of a possibility than with laptops. Then add something you might want to hide to the mix.
Tom

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 11:29 AM »
One of the newer trends of these sextortion scams is to use hacked/leaked passwords to make them appear more legitimate. Lots of people are falling for it...
- carpe noctem

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 11:45 AM »
I don't even see how you could fall for that!  It's crazy!  But, then again, that's why we still have SPAM.  People do respond...

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 11:58 AM »
if memory serves me correctly, I created specifically for a parking garage a couple years ago when traveling to Seattle.

Am I the only one curious as to why one would require an email address for a parking garage?  :huh:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 07:34 PM »
if memory serves me correctly, I created specifically for a parking garage a couple years ago when traveling to Seattle.

Am I the only one curious as to why one would require an email address for a parking garage?  :huh:

I don't remember why. Maybe it was to get my receipt emailed to me? Or maybe I bought a parking space online in advance to make sure there would be room for me? I really don't remember.

I dont know, the first example (OP) doesnt seem so ridiculous to me

It's ridiculous if you know you haven't been viewing any pr0n and you don't even have a webcam to hijack.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 08:16 PM »

I don't remember why. Maybe it was to get my receipt emailed to me? Or maybe I bought a parking space online in advance to make sure there would be room for me? I really don't remember.

I dont know, the first example (OP) doesnt seem so ridiculous to me

It's ridiculous if you know you haven't been viewing any pr0n and you don't even have a webcam to hijack.

You have to pre-book parking spaces?  :huh:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 09:07 PM »
You have to pre-book parking spaces?  :huh:

I really don't remember.

KynloStephen66515