topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:22 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Allow display of file size  (Read 4971 times)

jacemdom

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Allow display of file size
« on: June 23, 2018, 02:32 AM »
Allow display of file size. Don't care if it is slower just put it as an option off by default :)

Forgot to mention...please  :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Allow display of file size
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 04:03 AM »
Don't forget you can right-click on a result and choose Properties to see its file size.

jacemdom

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 05:23 AM »
I am too lazy for this  ;D

Kidding aside, i am asking this for situations where the file size is important, like selecting the right version of a picture according to file size. Would be inefficient to right-click each one so the best for now is to br

jacemdom

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 05:25 AM »
so the best for now is to br...

is to explore to that location if the files are all under the same folder.

I saw that a similar request was made long ago, why was it never implemented? Is there some king of technological problem i am not aware of?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 10:35 AM »
It is my guess that FARR takes the file size content of any file from the Windows file system. So you might have to think differently about the solution to your problem. According to my Google-fu, there are many requests for showing the exact file size in Windows Explorer, but not much answers.

Microsoft tells us that there is no way to change this.

A bit of digging revealed: SizeInBytes which is a tool that makes Explorer show the exact file size. While this software is free, it does require you to have a license for it's parent software SmartFTP...which is costly at 79.95 USD (the cheapest edition).

This is a long shot, but you could get a copy of Directory Opus, configure it so that it takes over the function of Windows Explorer and make files show their exact byte size that way. It is also not cheap at 85 AUD (Australian Dollar). There is a lite version of Directory Opus at half that price, but I didn't look if that version can replace Windows Explorer or not.

You might have guessed it, this has been a pet peeve of mine for as long as I use Windows. Microsoft calls this lack of configurability 'simplicity', while I think it should have been a Windows setting from the get-go. In Windows XP you still had an option to show everything in KB, but that has been removed since Windows Vista, which rounds up and down in very weird ways sometimes. Almost all 3rd party file managers show you the file size the way you want it to, but that won't help you with FARR. 

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 04:42 PM »
This is a long shot, but you could get a copy of Directory Opus, configure it so that it takes over the function of Windows Explorer and make files show their exact byte size that way.
FWIW reading filesizes is slow though, so I dont have it set up by default in Dopus (I use a hotkey for it).
Tom

jacemdom

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 10:51 PM »
I can see file size in Windows explorer fine.

This thread is about seeing the same information in FARR. And the fact that Windows doesn't show sizes on folders isn't an issue for me and shouldn't be for a tool like FARR anyway.

2018-06-24_11-49-19.jpgAllow display of file size