topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Listary 6  (Read 9842 times)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Listary 6
« on: June 03, 2018, 06:39 PM »
I totally missed that:

Listary 6 will be a complete rewrite and is about to be released "soon" (in a programmer's definition of "soon").
http://discussion.li...-as-of-may-2018/4184

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Listary 6
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 08:22 AM »

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 01:06 PM »
Looks promising! Listary is a must have as it is, but this looks like something that might even replace FARR... (don't tell mouser)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 01:10 PM »
It has replaced FARR for me - in version 5.  :-[

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 01:39 PM »
I'll look into it. Even v5 is very advanced. I only use it for the quick folder stuff. So just scratching the surface, I suppose.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 02:02 PM »
Does any news about Listary 6 suggest that it will get something akin to FARR's powerful alias system?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 03:53 PM »
Does any news about Listary 6 suggest that it will get something akin to FARR's powerful alias system?
Yers, I wondered about that as well.
FARR and Listary are not the same things though, so a comparison is difficult. It rather depends on one's requirements.
From my perspective as an existing FARR user: I had trialled Listary for a couple of years out of interest and for comparison with FARR, but eventually dumped Listary, though the latter worked OK. Listary met my requirements for searches, but otherwise seemed annoyingly idiosyncratic and intrusive, popping up when I didn't need it and nagging me to buy a licence for the full version. The most useful thing about it for me was the search functionality, but I preferred Everything Search for that.
I stuck with FARR rather than Listary, because in general it better suits my peculiar needs/purposes, including, for example (not an exhaustive list):
  • it is portable (used on all the PCs I support);
  • it uses few/minimal resources when operating;
  • it is stable and works consistently well and with no idiosyncrasies;
  • it is fast/responsive;
  • it generally feels ergonomically better - e.g., more intuitive and less intrusive than Listary;
  • it seems to be generally more powerful than Listary (FARR having a comprehensive range of options, settings, plugins);
  • it seems to be more fully under the user's control than Listary;
  • it has the TinyEverything plugin for searches (I find Everything to be the fastest and most optimal search tool, though I use Google Desktop Search for complex searches);
  • it can be kept automatically updated along with all the other related apps. - via DCUpdater.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 03:58 PM by IainB »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 04:22 PM »
I wondered about that as well.
FARR and Listary are not the same things though, so a comparison is difficult. It rather depends on one's requirements.
Very much so.

From my perspective as an existing FARR user: I had trialled Listary for a couple of years out of interest and for comparison with FARR, but eventually dumped Listary, though the latter worked OK.

I'm a long-term registered user of Listary, since (I think) the first time it was on Bits du Jour.  I'm still using Listary 4 on my old laptop. In fact Listary had all the features I really wanted by version 3.  I tend to 'live inside' my file manager, Total Commander, and Listary's magic ability to point a standard Windows dialog box to whatever directory was active in TC was worth the price of entry on its own.  I haven't used Listary's global search abilities; I occasionally use Everything, but rarely need global search.

By contrast, I more or less dumped FARR about ten years ago, when I realised

a) it had a 20 Mb footprint; I know people act as if disk space is infinite, but it seemed an awful lot for a launcher, the more so as the first PC I ever used (in 1988) only had a 20 Mb hard disk.  For everything.
b) At that time I only seemed to use about 30 programs on a regular basis, very easy to put into a standard launcher, and anything else could be found and launched via Total Commander.  As launcher I chose Horst Schaeffer's PopSel. My current laptop's PopSel menus have almost 200 items, plus the System menu included in the archive, and occupies about 210 Kb.  I would probably have liked SlickRun a lot if I'd found it earlier.
c) I didn't want to wrestle with FARR's  alias system.

Listary met my requirements for searches, but otherwise seemed annoyingly idiosyncratic and intrusive, popping up when I didn't need it and nagging me to buy a licence for the full version. The most useful thing about it for me was the search functionality, but I preferred Everything Search for that.
I stuck with FARR rather than Listary, because in general it better suits my peculiar needs/purposes
Your "peculiar needs/purposes" rubbing up against Listary's "idiosyncrasies" sounds like the pot calling the kettle black...  It might be nice if Listary's default was not to pop up except for opted-in programs, but I suppose that would defeat the object.  I don't know the behaviour of the free version, but after two years of trialling I think it's entitled to a nag screen.  Listary is still only $19.95 at full price - for me, one of the best software deals around - and comes up on Bits du Jour now and again at even less.

[FARR] is portable (used on all the PCs I support)
Listary has a portable version, listed on the download page.  If the PCs you support are for work, though, you'd need registered copies for each.

FARR having a comprehensive range of options, settings, plugins)
Intimidatingly so, especially for new or casual users, or anyone in a hurry...

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 04:41 PM »
a) it had a 20 Mb footprint; I know people act as if disk space is infinite, but it seemed an awful lot for a launcher, the more so as the first PC I ever used (in 1988) only had a 20 Mb hard disk.  For everything.

Ha! I find it amazing that I'm not the only one around who can't understand why the solution to performance problems is to just throw more hardware at it...

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 11:04 AM »
@Tuxman:
Where you write:
Ha! I find it amazing that I'm not the only one around who can't understand why the solution to performance problems is to just throw more hardware at it...

I suspect that you're far from being alone in this. The trouble seems to be that, whilst writing elegant resource-efficient code may have been a kind of ideal, it was not - for whatever reason - necessarily a practice/consideration that was taught or encouraged in programming 101. So it was less likely to be a design objective. Maybe it was pragmatic. At the same time, the level of complexity and OS subsystem compartmentalisation has tended to increase, making it difficult/impossible  to simplify/rationalise code in any event. One suspects that this probably could have resulted - in part at least - in the generation of an awful lot of unplanned fat bloated software, with often perhaps redundant/unneeded (by the user) functionality. However the latter might, for example (say) usefully fulfil some tangential marketing objective far removed from original user requirements, or be something that the developers might have bolted on as they thought it was simply "a good idea" or a lazy shortcut (for themselves) at the time.
You can arguably sometimes see this when you make comparisons between different systems or software or versions of software products that tend to overlap in functionality.

On efficiency of resource utilisation, I never made a note of Listary's disk or RAM or CPU utilisation, but, after checking just now, FARR seems to take:
Disk: approx. 12.5Mb in its root folder (not counting the plugins and associated apps).
RAM: varies intermittently, roughly 20 - 35Mb, depending on how it is configured and what it is doing.
CPU: varies intermittently, roughly 0-5%, depending on what it is doing.

Not sure how that might compare with Listary, or even whether it would be relevant to make such a comparison (being two somewhat similar, but different things).

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 11:56 AM »
If I'm not alone, why does the world prefer to write horrible software?

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 01:05 PM »

The difference between then and now, is that 20MB was a huge amount of data, and hardware was expensive.  20MB these days is literally nothing...I have single images that are bigger than that in file size.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 02:14 PM »
Why would you want to only be able to store the same number of applications on a much larger drive?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 02:42 PM »
20MB these days is literally nothing...

Literally Figuratively.jpg

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 02:47 PM »
^ let's not get literal about this Deozaan :Thmbsup:
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 04:07 PM »
If I'm not alone, why does the world prefer to write horrible software?

Because it's paid for by companies that only care about the bottom line?

20MB these days is literally nothing...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Well played, Deo.  Well played.  :Thmbsup:

Why would you want to only be able to store the same number of applications on a much larger drive?

Who can fault that logic?  :o

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2020, 04:53 PM »
The Listary forums came to the conclusion that Listary 6 "final" will never be released. It's been quite some time since the dev has posted any updates anyway.
I am currently evaluating Wox as a replacement. It is a decent launcher with a good plugin system (except that it uses Python for those), but it does not integrate into the Open dialog. (FARR does not do that either, right?  :D)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2020, 06:32 PM »
except that it uses Python for those

Not just Python.  You can use a variety of languages it appears.  It's interesting that it uses Everything for the search functions.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 06:54 PM »
Ah, I should have read the manual. You are right, there seems to be no language limitation:
http://doc.wox.one/e...n/create_plugin.html

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2020, 09:40 PM »
Going to continue this in its own thread: WoX Launcher.