topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: WoX Launcher  (Read 2574 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WoX Launcher
« on: November 18, 2020, 09:40 PM »
Tuxman introduced WoX (stands for something- I saw it somewhere, but I can't find it right now) in the Listary 6 thread, and I started to look into it.  I'm running it and FARR right now, and I like features from both.

FARR has more options for customizing your search heuristics and such.  It also has everything built into the application, and you don't need any dependencies.  WoX needs .NET (not a big deal as everyone on Windows has it), Python, and Everything.

Both of them have a lot of options in regards to interface design, so that's a wash between the two.  Both can be portable or installed.

The plugin syntax for WoX just makes more sense to me, but I'm sure it is a matter of developer preference.  WoX is faster at searching, but this is because WoX farms out a lot of its search capabilities to Everything.  FARR allows more customization of the heuristics and search behavior, which is a definite plus- the only nod to this functionality that WoX provides is the ability to pin a search result to the top of the search, so that the next time you search, it will be favored.  Not ideal.  But in its favor is the fact that WoX is open source- this makes it easier for me to understand things about the software, which is a bonus.

It's definitely not an instant win for either which is a surprise- I've given other launchers a try, but WoX is the first one that I've seriously considered.  I'm running both in parallel, so I guess I'll make a choice as time moves on.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WoX Launcher
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 11:30 PM »
Tuxman introduced WoX

It’s “Wox”. :)

(stands for something- I saw it somewhere, but I can't find it right now)

Probably Workflow-something?

WoX needs .NET (not a big deal as everyone on Windows has it)

Let’s say: on a still supported Windows version. ;)

Python, and Everything.

As Everything is only a plug-in, it should be possible to not use it. Untested yet.

I've given other launchers a try, but WoX is the first one that I've seriously considered.

Same here. Most options are either very slow, paid or discontinued, and replacing Listary by another paid and/or discontinued product sounds like a bad idea.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 12:15 AM »

It’s “Wox”.

Opinions vary on that regard.

https://github.com/Wox-launcher/Wox

Check the spelling there.  It stands for something, and the X is in the middle of the last word and they capitalize it- like eXtensible or something.  And I like that spelling. :P

As Everything is only a plug-in, it should be possible to not use it. Untested yet.

No, it's not.  It uses Everything for the search.  From the requirements page:

wox*.exe is just the wox installer itself without everything.exe and python.exe. require everything version > 1.4.1.

Emphasis mine.  I guess you could disable that plugin (which is one of the Core Plugins), but what would you be left with if you can't do the basic search functionality?  And you'd have to know what you're doing to disable it before first start up.  Seems pretty safe to say that Everything is a requirement.

Update: Found the reference to the name when I was going through the code:

You can call it Windows omni-eXecutor if you want a long name.

Note the capitalization ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 12:32 AM by wraith808 »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 12:55 AM »
That’s confusing!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 01:18 AM »
Tuxman introduced WoX (stands for something- I saw it somewhere, but I can't find it right now) in the Listary 6 thread, and I started to look into it.

You've missed out on testing it for the last four years  :P

Then again, I missed out on testing it for three years  :-[