NANY 2018 WRAP-UP
Since 2007 we have held an annual event that we call NANY (New Apps for the New Year)
, where we ask the coders who hang out on DonationCoder to create some new piece of free software and share it with the world on January 1st of the new year.
NANY is one of the best things we do on this site, and it's one of the few times we can all play together. There are no winners or losers, it's simply a celebration of programming and creating new software and sharing it with the world; everyone who participates gets a free commemorative coffee mug.
I have been grossly negligent in taking 10 days to get this write-up posted. I have been so busy day and night for the last months in getting the DonationCoder website converted to a new CMS system and getting the site migrated to a new server that I kept putting off preparing it. I had hoped we would move servers first and then I could post this as the first new thing, but I've decided it's better not to wait any longer. So now without further delay, I present to you the results of our annual New Apps for the New Year (NANY) 2018 celebration, in no particular order..
I'm going to take the liberty, as I typically do, to start off the NANY 2018 wrap-up by introducing one of my entries:Cnpaperplay
, a set of play-on-paper game making utilities and pre-made books that reproduce the board game Codenames Duet
(by Vlaada Chvátil and Scot Eaton):https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=44471NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!
This project got started because the girl I have been seeing was recently excommunicated to Japan, and we were looking for a game we could play over irc or text messages.
First some background: One of my favorite board games of the last year is the incredible Codenames Duet. It's a unique unusual word game where 2 players (or teams) cooperate to try to identify certain words from a 25-word tableou by giving clues that correspond to certain words and not others. It's a brilliant design that is challenging, super-fun, and fun to talk about afterwards. In the store-bought version, you shuffle a large deck of random word cards and lay them out in a grid and use a random key card to tell you which words each person is trying to identify.
What I did was take a few liberties with the rules, add a scoring mechanism, and create a single-page format for playing the game using randomly-generated game pages. Essentially the utility creates pdf "books" containing random games (one per page) that you can play with a friend. It actually creates 2 books, one for each player. The books are synchronized, so for example to play game #10, each player turns to page 10 in their game book. The games can be played in the same room, in a car, or over the phone or even by email. All you need is a pen and the printed books.
The utility can generate infinite numbers of games and I've included a premade 100-game book that people can play -- no need to run the utilities yourself.
For those that are interested, the software is written in python, it's open sourced on github, and it's made to be easily translated (we already have japanese and german translations but more are welcomed).
I have also included tools to create play-on-paper versions of the original team-based codenames.
I really hope people will give this game a try - it's truly one of my favorite things in years, and I think couples in particular will love it. And if you like it please consider buying the official board game -- my version is just a clone of it.
If you enjoy it let me know!
My next NANY entry is called Image Card Printer
. It's a windows desktop application for printing out large numbers of images on card stock paper (playing card stock, business card stock, postcards, etc.).https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44663.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!
I have used this tool to print out custom cards for prototyping card games or makign extra custom cards for games. It is useful for those who need to have lots of images printed out in a very precise layout and size, and you can customize the layout to fit any card stock.
And then rounding out my NANY entries for the year is a set of open source joomla and wordpress extensions that I wrote as part of the work I did migrating the DonationCoder website to a new CMS (content management system). That new CMS system will be unveiled in the coming days, but I decided to open source some of the more generally-used custom plugins that I have written along the way.Joomla plugins: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44310.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!
Wordpress plugins: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44847.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!
- Joomla Bulk meta info viewer/changer - Used to quickly see and modify your article meta info (most similar to the osmeta extension but less invasive). I think this one is probably the most useful and of general interest to joomla users. It's quite similar to the very popular OsMeta plugin, which is slightly more featureful and a lot more bloated and invasive.
- Joomla Log viewer - Simple extension to allow admin to view/tail system log files.
- Joomla Alternate control panel -- Simple alternate place to put admin modules instead of main control panel.
- Joomla Article links plugin -- Makes it easy to see and edit the menus that link to an article being edited.
- Joomla Menu list plugin -- Easy way to make pages that show a nice list (with image thumbnails) of child pages.
- Joomla Comment plugin -- Super simple plugin that just lets you "comment-out" sections of an article to make them invisible.
- Wordpress Multisite Elfinder Uploads - Let multisite admins have direct access to their uploads folder using elfinder. This will let your site admins to manage the files in their uploads directory, adding, renaming, etc.
- Wordpress Multisite Addon Plugin for WP Security Audit Log - Multisite compatible addon for the awesome WP Security Audit Log plugin. This addon registers some generic log events that you can trigger from within you code to help you test and log generic events of any kind. Especially useful for adding logging features to other plugins, etc. Also makes it easier to create your own sensors for multisite configurations.
All of the plugins are free and open source and are available on github. You can find more info on the joomla extensions here
and the wordpress extensions here
Next in our roundup are some entries by DC member skwire, the only person who has participated in as many annual NANY events (12) as I have.WHAT (Windows Hotkey Activator Tool)
is a windows hotkey application designed to let you quickly bring windows on your screen to the center of focus with a hotkey. You can create entries to find windows by title, application name, or window class.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44856.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!SubAHK
is a substantial but not-yet-feature-complete front end client for the Subsonic
media streaming server, focuses on providing good playlist functions.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44857.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!
Shifting temporarily from Windows to Linux, DC member sjc1000 released ytsearch
, a feature packed open source commandline youtube searcher/streamer/downloader for linux.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44351.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!
Next up we have entries from DC member Tuxman, who is a fan of text-mode terminals and old-school tools:ymarks
: Self-hosted, open source, cross-platform, cross-browser bookmarks synchronizing server and browser extension.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44530.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!twtxtc
: A command line client for the twtxt micro-blogging network (open source; windows 10, freebsd, most platforms with c compiler)https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44358.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!Gowser
: A simple gopher browser for windows (open source)https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44564.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!UnClouder
: A social commentary joke firefox plugin that changes all references on web pages to "the cloud" to make them say "other people's computers"https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44611.0
And next we have an entry from Jibz, who is the 3rd person who ever signed up to DC forum, way back in 2005.
Jibz' release, Solarized Minimal Visual Studio Code
is for users of the Visual Studio Code editor who are fans of the Solarized color theme found in many text editors. Solarized is a popular color theme available in many text editors. The palette contains only 16 colors, which are used both in a dark (pleasant at night) and light (easy to read in bright daylight) version. The magic is that the accent colors are chosen so they appear the same in both versions. It's open source and available on github.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44839.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!
DC member Wraith808 released PlainTasks
a minimalist "task manager" productivity tool. You simply type in the name of up to 3 tasks, and it shows one at a time on screen until it is completed.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44848.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!
DC Member Ath shared a substantial commandline tool that was written to assist Red Cross volunteer organizers in planning sleeping arrangements for volunteers. BedPlanner
is a java application that can combine a list of people, some with specific requests, and a list of locations/rooms/beds, and come up with optimal bed assignments.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44821.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!
DC Member BGM, our resident catholic brother, released BaseImage
, an interesting proof-of-concept utility that can take an image and create inline-base64 encoding that can be embedded on a webpage (avoiding the need for an external image file).https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44738.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!
DC member anandcoral submitted some major updates to previous year's NANY entries:Stick A Note version 3
- A very cool app that let's you stick a text note to a window of program or document. The note shows only on that window and moves with it.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44825.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!Overlap Wallpaper version 3
- Displays a photo on the desktop wallpaper, now with support for transparency.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44820.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!
DC Member Kyrathaba, our resident proofreader and author, released a first beta of his proofreader's helper tool, Proofy
, which helps proofreading track jobs and income.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44838.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!
DC member mat2016 decided to enter his first NANY event in style, submitting not one but five entries:Shortcuts Creator
- A launcher that lets you create a list of your favorite applications, documents, etc. and easily launch them.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44784.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!Multi-Launcher
- Another launcher that let's you organize your favorite applications, documents, etc., and easily launch them.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44782.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!Ready Bible Study
- A pretty substantial and general purpose Bible Study program.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44785.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!Constant Info
- A program to display a ticker-type scroll of prioritized items on screen that can be used within workgroups.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44851.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!Simple Reminders
- A customizable program to set repetitive reminders of daily tasks. Tasks can repeat at set intervals or be displayed at set times of the day.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44783.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!
Two-time NANY participant camerb released TagMage
, a proof of concept tool to quickly tag images with as few keystrokes as possible.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44854.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!
DC member antekgla released DualCopy, a helper app for Teracopy
, which are windows tools for doing lots of file/folder moving and copying. It provides a way of managing Favorites, Recent Used Folders, etc.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44462.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!
Another first time NANY entrant, nasciiboy released a proof-of-concept lightweight open source markup language tool called morg
.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44805.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!
Deozaan released Ethereum Denomination Converter
, a utility for quickly converting between denominations of the cryptocurrency Ethereum.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44386.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!
New forum member shinkarom submitted BaseQuiz
, a program that challenges you to convert numbers between mathematical bases.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44610.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!
DC member and resident icon-designer hamradio submitted two applications.Speed Dial Image Warlock
- A tool for creating speed dials for the vivaldi web browser.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44560.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!Health Reader
- A tool for viewing exported Apples IOS health xml data.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44559.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!
DC member chesterw released a package of 6 command line database utilities
for dumping oracle, ms sql, and sqlite databases to csv format.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44374.0
DC member c.gingerich submitted four apps to NANY:Mini Clip Mon
, a simple single-window clipboard manager.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44689.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!FolderZip
, which creates batch files and adds the new context menu items “Convert to ZIP” and “Convert to Folder”.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44332.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!Chrome Wire
, a console application that takes a random Chromecast wallpaper and sets it as your windows background.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44314.0Lock Screen Reflection
, which takes your current lock screen image on Windows 10 (when set as Windows Spotlight) and sets it as your desktop wallpaper.https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44282.0NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!
Lastly let me mention that we asked for folks to create an alternate mug design and the one that I think is the most awesome is this design by Hamradio:NANY 2018 - NEW APPS FOR THE NEW YEAR - WRAP UP!
So coders who entered NANY will be able to choose from the "traditional" NANY mug
or Hamradio's alternate design.