topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Jerry Pournelle - R.I.P.  (Read 6198 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Jerry Pournelle - R.I.P.
« on: September 09, 2017, 07:21 PM »
Notice at JerryPournelle.com/Chaos Manor:
Passings….
  By TheWebGuy | Sep 8, 2017 - 5:01 pm | Updated: September 8, 2017 - 10:06 pm | View
From Jerry’s son Alex:
I’m afraid that Jerry passed away
We had a great time at DragonCon
He did not suffer.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Readers may use the Well-Wishing page for remembrances.  (Note: the site is being accessed by many of Dr. P’s fans and friends….you may see timeout errors because of that extra load. Site admins are working on the issue.)

Bookmark the permalink.

Copied from: Passings…. – Chaos Manor – Jerry Pournelle - <https://www.jerrypournelle.com/chaosmanor/passings/>

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Jerry Pournelle - R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 07:44 PM »
I remember his column in the old Byte magazine.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 07:48 PM »
I did a site: search of DCF and found 3 references to Pournelle:
Re: Is the party over for Microsoft?
Re: You like science fiction, don't you? Yes - "Fallen Angels"
Re: What books are you reading?

I have had his website in my BazQux reader for over a year now, I think, and it seemed to indicate that he was, or had been, in and out of hospital quite a bit and was maybe heading for the Exit lounge, but he seemed pretty stoic about it.
I think of him regarding his SF writings and his Chaos Manor website(s). He had a good mind.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 07:57 PM »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 08:16 PM »
Post below is from the Well-wishing site. Note the period of three days (starting 10 Sep 2017), open for a free Kindle copy of Vol. 1 of ‘There Will Be War’.
Well-Wishing
This page is for site visitors to post remembrances and thoughts at the time of Dr. Pournelle’s passing (8 Sep 2017).  Your thoughts can be added using the form at the bottom of this page. Comments that are not related to words of encouragement or condolences will be removed.

Dr. Pournelle’s family appreciates those that have taken the time to send encouragement and well wishes.

(Note: the site is experiencing a very high visitor count, so things are a bit slow, and you may see errors. Site admins are working on the problem.)

For those that are interested in Dr. Pournelle’s books, please see the e-books  page or the Amazon page at http://amzn.to/2xliy73 .

Vox Day has announced that as part of a memorial the first volume of ‘There Will Be War’ will be free on Kindle for three days (starting 10 Sep 2017). See here:  http://amzn.to/2famw7N.

12_312x500_CEDE40D7.png

Link: There Will Be War Volume I eBook: Jerry Pournelle, Larry Niven, Robert Heinlein, Gordon R. Dickson, Philip K. Dick, Orson Scott Card, John F. Carr: Kindle Store
There Will Be War Volume I Kindle Edition
by Jerry Pournelle  (Author, Editor), Larry Niven (Author), Robert Heinlein (Author), & 4more
4.3 out of 5 stars    58 customer reviews   
See all formats and editions
Kindle $5.55

Length: 368 pages

Created by the bestselling SF novelist Jerry Pournelle, THERE WILL BE WAR is a landmark science fiction anthology series that combines top-notch military science fiction with factual essays by various generals and military experts on everything from High Frontier and the Strategic Defense Initiative to the aftermath of the Vietnam War. It features some of the greatest military science fiction ever published, such Orson Scott Card’s “Ender’s Game” in Volume I and Joel Rosenberg’s “Cincinnatus” in Volume II. Many science fiction greats were featured in the original nine-volume series, which ran from 1982 to 1990, including Robert Heinlein, Arthur C. Clarke, Philip K. Dick, Gordon Dickson, Poul Anderson, John Brunner, Gregory Benford, Robert Silverberg, Harry Turtledove, and Ben Bova.

33 years later, Castalia House has teamed up with Dr. Pournelle to make this classic science fiction series available to the public again. THERE WILL BE WAR is a treasure trove of science fiction and history that will educate and amaze new readers while reminding old ones how much the world has changed over the last three decades. Most of the stories, like war itself, remain entirely relevant today.

THERE WILL BE WAR Volume I is edited by Jerry Pournelle and John F. Carr, and features 23 stories, articles, and poems. Of particular note are “Reflex” by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, the original “Ender’s Game” novella by Orson Scott Card, “The Defenders” by Philip K. Dick, and a highly influential pair of essays devoted to the then-revolutionary concept of “High Frontier” by Robert A. Heinlein and Lt. General Daniel Graham.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:21 PM by IainB »

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 08:28 PM »
How sad. What an imaginative and intelligent person!
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 03:43 AM »
His Chaos Manor column in the paper edition of Byte was the first I read whenever I could buy a copy in the local bookstore (a subscription was way too expensive for EU citizens), much like IainB.
Very inspiring, full of humor and always relevant, at that time.
He wil be missed.

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 07:03 AM »
He wil be missed.
Indeed he will. Sad.  :(
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 10:28 AM »
So much of his work is not in electronic format and out of print- it's sad.

Someone put it better than I could - Goodbye to the most tireless ambassador of the future.  He collaborated with one of my favorite authors, Steven Barnes, a lot to great success (Beowulf's Children, The Legacy of Heorot).  A bit from him about Pournelle:

Steven Barnes, with whom Pournelle collaborated on several novels, told me in an email that “he was an absolute original, one of the best and smartest men I’ve ever known.”

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 01:24 PM »
EDIT 2017-10-11: Info (edited/abbreviated) from Amazon.com added to post above re "There Will Be War -
 Volume I"

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 02:19 PM »
The Mote in Gods Eye was the book I remember most.  Byte was part of the good old days when Computer and Programming magazines were in the book stores.  It seems like another century is sneaking up on me way too fast.