topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Can somebody buy me SimCity 4 on GOG (I return money with DonationCredits)?  (Read 5201 times)

dmytron

• Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have some money on DonationCredits but there is no reasonable way that I can cash out these money to my Ukraine. Even PayPal isn't supported here. On the other side, all my life I wanted to have SimCity 4 legally.

That's why I propose to somebody who has an account on GOG and is willing to do the good deed. Send me as a gift SimCity 4 (I'll tell my account when we have a deal), and I return you money with DonationCredits.

According to GOG, the game right now costs $19.99. GOG also says that there are some restrictions in gifting: "Account cannot gift until 3 months after purchasing $10 worth of items". According to this, it's a countermeasure against resellers.

If you want to take part in this deal, tell me.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I'll do it. Send me the DonationCredits and I'll PM you a gift link.

dmytron

• Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks Doazaan for his cooperation. Everything worked out fine. I can vouch for him as an honest and responsible person.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
I can vouch for him as an honest and responsible person.

We all could have told you that :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks Doazaan for his cooperation. Everything worked out fine. I can vouch for him as an honest and responsible person.

Thanks!

I can vouch for him as an honest and responsible person.

We all could have told you that :)

And thank you, too, mouser. :)

I've gifted games to others here before.

(But I don't do it on Steam anymore after they locked down my account until I promised not to.)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
(But I don't do it on Steam anymore after they locked down my account until I promised not to.)

What?  What happened there?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
He had so many to give that Steam was coming out of his ears?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

They didn't like me gifting games to people outside of my region.

It's probably not a problem to do here and there, but after I'd done it for a few people a few times, someone spread word about me on some popular foreign gaming forum and I had probably 15-30 people per day asking me to gift games for them every time a big Steam sale came around. It wasn't uncommon for at least a few people to contact me on any given day for the 24-hour daily deal.

He had so many to give that Steam was coming out of his ears?
-cranioscopical (May 02, 2017, 08:45 AM)

Pretty close. :P

It got so big and I had so many people contacting me asking the same basic details (Will you gift to me? How does it work? How do I send you money? When/how will I get my gift?) over and over, that I set up a custom email address with an auto-response with all the details. I even considered creating a website or service to help organize people into getting 4-pack bundles and other things like that.

It felt pretty cool helping all those people get games they wanted at nicely discounted prices, and I didn't think Steam would mind all the extra customers/money I was getting to them. But I hadn't considered that Steam had agreements with publishers regarding regional restrictions on games and I was bypassing those restrictions through my gifting. They locked down my account and told me I shouldn't be bypassing their regional restrictions, then they restored my access after I said I wouldn't do that anymore.

That was about 5 years ago. I've pretty much only gifted to IRL friends on Steam since then, or occasionally gone in with other DC members on 4-packs.

EDIT:
How's this for timely? The day after I wrote that up, Steam has changed their gifting policy to essentially disallow people from being able to do what I was doing:
Safe Cross-Country Gifting
No more worrying if a Gift to E-mail or Gift to Inventory is going to work for a friend, gifts sent through the new system will always work on the receiver's account. When there is a large difference in pricing between countries, gifting won't be available and you'll know before purchase.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 01:48 PM by Deozaan »