topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 8:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Get legal access to paywalled research and science papers free with Unpaywall  (Read 13228 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Good news for those of us who follow research and science but don't have deep pockets.

Details here:  http://www.opencultu...e+%28Open+Culture%29

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Awesome. Could come in handy. (I needed something like that a couple of times...)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks!  Great find!

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
unpaywall.org doesn't resolve at this end of the globe. :( The add-on I could download.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Excellent.  It's a crime that we fund these universities with our tax dollars and then the research results get put behind paywalls.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Pirate Party would install open access to tax-funded research papers if enough of you folks voted for us.  :P

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
unpaywall.org doesn't resolve at this end of the globe. :( The add-on I could download.

Did you try http://isup.me/ to check it?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Excellent.  It's a crime that we fund these universities with our tax dollars and then the research results get put behind paywalls.

Yep. Thank the greed of universities and institutions and the cleverness of the Dutch company Elsevier in convincing them "there's gold in that there paper" and starting the "hostage research" thing which others have since gotten in on.

Funny part is it's in direct violation of a lot of funding organizations rules to do that. But the universities and Elsevier have been clever in stonewalling and only backing down where somebody knew the rules and was pushing the issue hard. But they only comply on a case by case basis rather than stop the practice.

Pretty sad. But don't expect any legal relief. They get off the hook by releasing whatever they're required to release prior to going to court, so any lawsuit over them not releasing something becomes moot. There's no rule that says they have to make the process easy as long as they ultimately comply. And most times they don't. 

Maybe someday the funding people will get a little more involved with the issue.  But they have close ties with the universities and institutes, so they're not looking to rock the boat just because a few scholars know their legal rights.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 03:34 PM by 40hz »

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
unpaywall.org doesn't resolve at this end of the globe. :(
Can you use other DNS servers, or are you behind the great firewall of China ? ^^'

solaris65

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Ambient Mechanics
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the heads-up on this..much appreciated.  :Thmbsup:

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Great find!

I'm lucky in this respect though as through my university website, we have full access to every paid (and unpaid) journal that exists (at least...that exist publicly) :D