topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: XYplorer is not responding.  (Read 11874 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: XYplorer is not responding.
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2017, 09:01 PM »
Just an FYI - in the new version, only on my surface (though I have the same definitions as on my desktop), contextmenu64 is being detected as a trojan by windows Defender.  I did submit that to microsoft.

I was going to suggest, before I read your post, to try disabling your anti-virus, temporarily, to see if that solves the problem with XYplorer locking up.

I do recall that some anti-viruses tend to disable access to files until they have been checked, regardless of whether you are opening/running them or not, which used to cause big issues on one of my older machines, due to shortcuts to apps containing servers on my taskbar (things like TightVNC, various P2P apps, chat servers, etc.). The entire taskbar would lock up for the longest time, as their icons were loaded. Also caused problems in Explorer, whenever I opened a folder containing a .rar file. When I temporarily disabled my anti-virus, the problems stopped. So, my solution was to ditch McAfee and install a lighter anti-virus, which at that time was AVG. It was a lot less aggressive, only checking files when I tried to actually access them, rather than how McAfee was checking every file shown in an Explorer window, regardless of whether I was attempting to open/run them or not.

If your machine is a little slow or your anti-virus a bit too aggressive, it could very well be causing a lockup situation when XYplorer accesses a large number of files, so it can display their information to you. The accessing of them does take a little time, to begin with, which could then end up immensely magnified by the anti-virus temporarily denying access while it checks both XYplorer and those files for malware, first.

So, try disabling your anti-virus and see if it helps.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2017, 10:25 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, I've already used it on bare metal VMs with nothing on them (including AVs) and have the same problem.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2017, 11:10 PM »
Time to go low then...

API Monitor can be a helpful tool for investigating. Although it is marked as alpha software, it did work when I needed it at the time. It is both free and available as PortableApp.

First run this software, then use this software to execute the application you want to track/investigate. It shows you all functions and calls the application makes, but more importantly, it also keeps track of the time it takes for each function/call to complete. That should give you and/or DonL more usable info about the culprit(s) that make XYplorer behave the way it does on your system.

This software is the next best thing after having a completely installed development environment for the language XYplorer is written in on your system. The capture that API Monitor makes can be stored, so it might be really helpful to you and/or DonL.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2017, 08:29 AM »
API Monitor can be a helpful tool for investigating.
Thanks for the tip - looks very useful.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2017, 02:16 PM »
API Monitor can be a helpful tool for investigating. Although it is marked as alpha software, it did work when I needed it at the time. It is both free and available as PortableApp.

Good find for a few different uses.  Thanks!

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2017, 04:42 PM »
Looks cool, but I don't get it to work with XYplorer, using the portable version apimonitor-x86.exe. I have XYplorer.exe listed and selected in "Monitored Processes" but no API calls are listed.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2017, 05:16 PM »
Looks cool, but I don't get it to work with XYplorer, using the portable version apimonitor-x86.exe. I have XYplorer.exe listed and selected in "Monitored Processes" but no API calls are listed.

I'll still try it to see if I get different results.  I'll also see if anything in my normal toolbox can help.