topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: win10 whats new  (Read 5258 times)

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
win10 whats new
« on: November 10, 2016, 02:34 AM »
Win10 auto updates now and then. It gives me message that "updates installed. learn more". I try to learn more of "what's new in this update" in a "lay user term", but no. It has all sorts of information in various webpages but not a clear cut what it just gave me in this update, other that decreasing my broadband limit.

Is there a way I can see "whats new" in this version/update of Win10 ?

Regards,

Anand

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: win10 whats new
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 04:14 AM »
Not sure whether you will have tried this already:
  • If you go to Settings | Windows Update | Update history, then you will be presented with a list of short descriptions of items that have been updated.
  • Underneath each item description it says something like "Successfully updated 2016-11-10".
  • Clicking on that should provide you with relevant information in a drop-down box, with a link to "More info".
  • Clicking on that should take you to a web page at https://support.microsoft.com packed with the relevant info.

Hope this helps or is of use.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 10:48 AM »
Not sure whether you will have tried this already:

Yes I did it many times but mostly I get "Critical Error" fix list.

I expect something like below, from another program "changes" file,

// History

v23.20

- Brace auto-completion
    * Brace pairs defined in wordfile are auto-closed when opening brace is typed
    * If no braces in wordfile, or if file is not syntax highlighted, "()", "{}", and "[]" are used as defaults
  - String auto-completion
    * Can be disabled for non-highlighted (plain text) files
  - Lightning fast file sorting
    * Sort large files in a fraction of the time of previous versions
    * More efficient memory management when sorting

Is it expecting too much from MS ?

Regards,

Anand

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 12:07 PM »
What's in the critical error fix list?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 05:15 PM »
...Is it expecting too much from MS ?
Well, yes, quite probably. If the info in the steps I indicated above (and which you had already taken) is not sufficient for your needs, then you will probably have to put up with it. I am not sure that MS would necessarily feel obligated to provide further information about their development changes to what is arguably still an essentially proprietary OS. I mean, why should they? For example, if they did, then they might inadvertently reveal flaws/weaknesses in the OS that could be exploited by malicious hackers. I'm only supposing here.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 03:49 AM »
May be I could clarify myself. I am trying again.

I can read in other people website and blogs, say for example, "Win10 now supports title color etc."

What is the problem with MS not directly mentioning or giving a straightforward webpage with these list. Why someone else have to dig deep and find out and put for the world to see.

Regards,

Anand

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 07:07 AM »
May be I could clarify myself. I am trying again.

I can read in other people website and blogs, say for example, "Win10 now supports title color etc."

What is the problem with MS not directly mentioning or giving a straightforward webpage with these list. Why someone else have to dig deep and find out and put for the world to see.

Regards,

Anand

So the critical errors does have the information on the critical errors.  You're just wanting something that tells every last change built into Windows.  I can see why they wouldn't right in the OS on every machine.  Compiling a list like that takes time and effort- I know from experience.  Especially to get it right on every release.  For a system this large, I can imagine that would be magnified in the effort.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 12:52 PM »
You see, when we had Win95, we did not expected any "whats new" from MS as we did not update the OS till Win98 was released. At the release MS itself made all the "whats new" news in newspaper, website and tv. Same happened for Win 2000, Win Xp, Win 7 and Win 8. It was all unto us to upgrade or not, but at least we knew what we will get on upgrade. We still have Win Xp with SP1 and we are happy with it.

Now in Win10 it always downloading something and informing "Updates installed", but how many times MS has to update for "Security fix and Critical Error fix" ? Are they always missing these fixes ? Is disabling auto updates only option now ?

Well I understand expecting from so big MS is problem, same as expecting from Google which keep updating Chrome now and then.

Hope they will understand that not all user have free unlimited broadband in their disposal and give us some "list of goodies" we may get if we update, leave the rest to us.

Regards,

Anand

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 02:48 PM »
Install the Feedback Hub from the Windows Store and it will tell you about new features being added to the latest builds.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 03:46 AM »
Thanks for the "Feedback Hub"

It does not solve my problem but guides to post the problem to MS.

"The Feedback Hub is available for download in the Windows Store, allowing users to provide their valuable feedback about the bugs and problems to the Windows team. The app description reads: Help us make Windows better! Provide feedback about Windows and apps by sharing your suggestions or problems."

Now I know how to tell MS about their problem.

Regards,

Anand

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 02:49 PM »

Yes, you can give Microsoft feedback with the Feedback Hub. But they also post announcements of new & upcoming features/changes in the app:

Feedback Hub.jpgwin10 whats new

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 05:28 PM »

Yes, you can give Microsoft feedback with the Feedback Hub. But they also post announcements of new & upcoming features/changes in the app:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Is that just for "Window Insiders"? As I see just the hamburger bar, home, person with chat bubble, and then just the gear icon.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 05:36 PM »

Is that just for "Window Insiders"? As I see just the hamburger bar, home, person with chat bubble, and then just the gear icon.

Hmm... Could be.

I joined the Windows Insider program, but I'm still on the standard/stable release of Windows. In other words, you can join the Insider Program without also signing up for the (possibly unstable) betas or "Insider Preview" releases of Windows.