topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Directory Opus 12 Released  (Read 6665 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Directory Opus 12 Released
« on: September 05, 2016, 11:01 PM »
2016-09-06_00-01-20.png

Summary of major new features
Full support for high-DPI (e.g. 4K and 5K) monitors.
Redesigned Rename dialog, with new features like:
A unique macro recorder, which lets you perform complex batch renames without regular expressions.
Enhanced scripting capabilities.
Better handling of recursive renames and filename clashing.
An Apply button which lets you perform multiple renames without closing the dialog.

Improvements to the Image Viewer including:
Configurable toolbar and hotkeys, including the ability to run arbitrary commands on the current image file.
A new image marking system which makes it much easier to sort through a folder of photos to identify the ones you want to keep, print, share, etc.
A read-ahead cache for faster image loading.
An integrated metadata panel which lets you edit EXIF and other metadata from within the viewer.

Enhanced file and folder labels including:
The ability to assign more than one label at once (label attributes are combined).
Label categories (lets you organise your labels into groups).
Adjustable label priority (for when more than one wildcard or filter label applies to a file)
A new status icon system that lets you assign one or more status icons to each files (e.g. to track which files are ‘done’, ‘watched’, ‘urgent’ or ‘to-do’).

A manual sorting mode that lets you sort your files and folders exactly how you want.
An integrated dialog editor that lets scripts create their own complex user interfaces.
File display enhancements including:
Vertical folder tabs (displayed down the left or right side of the file display).
You can assign your own tab colors for specific folders.
Optional vertical as well as horizontal gridlines.
Relative size and age graphs displayed as the background of size and date fields (rather than requiring their own column).
A new “show everything” mode to quickly disable all filters.

Improvements to Folder Options including:
Configure column widths to expand and fill the usable space in the file display.
A column filter makes it easier to find and add the columns you want.
File and folder name filters can be configured using regular expressions if desired.

File copy improvements including a transfer speed graph in the progress dialog.
Toolbar enhancements including scrollbars and distinct labels in drop-down menus.
Lister layouts can now be arranged into folders and sub-folders.
… and as always, much, much more!
-What's New

Directory Opus 12 has been released

myarmor

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Directory Opus 12 Released
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 05:07 AM »
I love it so far.
To add, it is more or less a drop-in replacement for DO11, but with enhanced scripting/renaming
capabilities and more..

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 08:26 PM »
My only concern with the new release is in the past the author has prided himself on going three years before coming out with versions that require shelling out for an upgrade fee. The span of time between v11 and v12 was just two years. I hope this isn't the start of a spiral towards shorter product cycles and more frequent request for upgrade fees.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 02:41 AM »
The span of time between v11 and v12 was just two years. I hope this isn't the start of a spiral towards shorter product cycles and more frequent request for upgrade fees.

If you want to go all conspiracy theory on it (my purchase dates which are close to the release dates - can't find the ones for DOpus 6 & 8):
DOpus9  200705
DOpus10 201105  (48 months)
DOpus11 201403  (34 months)
DOpus12 201609  (30 months)

Although Wikipediaw tells us that between 6 & 8 were 40 months, and between 8 & 9 were 30 months (again).

So upgrade period has been anywhere between 30 and 48 months ever since there was a Windows version.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 02:57 AM by 4wd »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 03:17 AM »
Directory Opus 12 is now available!

Visit the Opus Resource Centre for the latest news and release history:
https://resource.dopus.com/viewforum.php?f=1

^ beginning with version 8

post modified:

^ beginning with an update to version 8
FTFY  ;)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 02:25 AM by Curt »

michaelkenward

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • Broken monitor
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 05:32 AM »
Remember, Windows has also been on an upgrade treadmill. 

The changes between versions of Windows may not be as big as they once were, but DOpus does need to keep up, if only in the 'visuals'. (Hang on, does DOpus 'do' visuals?)

Changes in Windows are often in areas where DOpus is most active and useful, menus and folders and stuff. It has to keep up there or it dies.

For a real guide to the churn factor, I'd map DOpus versions on to Windows versions.

MK

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 06:27 AM »
^ beginning with an update to version 8

FTFY  ;)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 06:22 PM »
As long as there is no push to a new version of Dopus, how relevant is the period between new versions? And if the "grace period" for upgrading your existing license is indefinite...there is no added pressure on existing price conscious license holders to upgrade (I didn't see this on the official directory opus upgrade webpage).

michaelkenward is right about the 'under-the-hood' changes of Windows 10, which could negatively affect the functionality/performance from earlier Dopus versions. Better to be ready and prepared for this. The added functionality does warrant a new version number for Dopus in my eyes.

In short, I don't see much problems if there are 30 months between version instead of the 36 months suggested here. Didn't find that tidbit of information not on their website, admittedly I wasn't looking too hard for this info. Nothing to get your panties in a twist about it.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 07:55 PM »
I used 9 for a long time after 10 was out.  Didn't upgrade until 11.  There's no push to upgrade or anything, in my experience.