topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The large amount of memory  (Read 5849 times)

Risare

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The large amount of memory
« on: August 16, 2016, 08:42 AM »
Hello!
I need to make a lot of screenshots of an extremely large scrollable area so I wonder if Screenshot Captor can use a large amount of memory on 64-bit OS (like 10 GB) to store captured images (Screenshot Captor stores the temporary images in the Clipboard).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: The large amount of memory
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 08:46 AM »
Im not sure what you are wanting to do.. Can you explain more about the task you wish to accomplish?

Risare

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 08:54 AM »
I want to capture manually the large area of a map. The map has scroll controls so I use your scrollable area capture function. As map's scrollbars have no limits (they continue scrolling infinitely even when the slider reaches the end of the scrollbar) I use the manual capture. Well, the map is very large, so, again, I wonder if your software can handle a large amount of captured information in the Clipboard before saving to the harddrive. My PC has 16 GB RAM.

Risare

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 09:00 AM »
Can I enter a 10 GB value here? Will it work? Your program is 32-bit.
b300860c64[1].pngThe large amount of memory

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 09:38 AM »
As you surmised, SC will not be able to use 10gb of memory for the images, and will probably top out at 2-4 gb.

Have you considered whether you really want to stitch together all of these images into one giant 10gb image, or whether it might be preferable to just have a large number of appropriately named separate screen sized images?

Risare

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 10:07 AM »
Well, it will be less than 10 GB, and it will not be not so giant in PNG.
I have to stitch the map as my chief wants to view the map on his iPad...... And there's no any export options..........

Risare

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 10:12 AM »
I know, it might look totally unnecessary, but it would be nice to have a 64-bit version of your application (for some specific uses as mine is). As far as I know it is the most powerful tool for the screen capturing I have ever seen. Snagit goes on the second place.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 11:32 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier to capture in strips, (either columns or rows), using SC and then use either:
1) something like Microsoft's Image Composite Editor, or
2) a paint program, (eg. PhotoFiltre), to stitch them together.

I've used both methods and since the degree of overlap is going to be constant, stitching them together in a paint program is actually very easy.

Risare

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 12:39 AM »
Thanks. I was already going to try that. Still afraid of the lack of the memory as Screenshot Captor can use only 1.9 GB of it.

Risare

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 03:29 AM »
There's a problem. Screenshot captor can't stitch images in a vertical strip if there's many of empty white space in the map (gaps). As a workaround I think I can just collect screenshots and stitch them in another program.
But the rest of vertical strips stitched perfectly. Then I used PanoramaStudio to stitch strips automatically into the final image.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 04:33 AM »
It probably sounds a bit kludgy, but I have in the past used OneNote to build a larger image out of smaller component parts, using SC (ScreenshotCaptor) for the trimming of the parts, where necessary. The user can move the images around either in the same container, or in separate and discrete containers, and abut or overlap them, as necessary, so you can't see where the edges meet. Then capture and copy the composite as a whole in one Copy command and save it as an image in (say) irfanview, or something. A bit fiddly though, and. from memory, it's easier to abut images placed one above the other, than one to either left or right of the other - the latter probably need to be overlaid in separate containers.

I'd suggest a suck-it-and-see approach as a trial, using OneNote. I think you might be able to effectively have an infinitely large - or very large - page, if you want.

There's an example here where the work to be done was rather tricky and a high degree of precision was required, so as to result in what had to look like apparently plain print, which could then be passed through an OCR scan with minimal errors in the output: Align image sections - 2 half-page image clips of a page of a document;then OCR.
There are quite a lot of other instances in that discussion thread, where the fiddling about with images would not be apparent to the reader. To a great extent, OneNote helps to minimise the fiddling about and can be a real timesaver. SC can be an invaluable aid in that process.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 04:54 AM by IainB »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 09:42 AM »
Screenshot captor can't stitch images in a vertical strip if there's many of empty white space in the map (gaps).

Nothing can stitch where there is no information -
even if doing it completely manually you will need overlapping info.

I've done a few quite large maps manually in 32bit Photoshop, with 8GB memory and no video card with no problems (using a .psd file for the working image and compressed tiff for the final image). Stitching manually was reasonably quick. But I never looked at the numbers (quantity, filesizes etc.) for what I did do.
So,
it's very much going to depend on just how many screenshots you plan to merge.

I'd just give it a go and see how far I get.

I see Gimp is available in 64bit - another possibility
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 11:55 AM »
What 4wd suggested sounds like the best advice to me.. Use SC along one dimension to make very tall (or wide) stitched screenshots of a "manageable" size, and then you can stitch several of these together if you truly need a ginormous single image.