topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] System Shock Remastered  (Read 3957 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[Kickstarter] System Shock Remastered
« on: July 17, 2016, 08:43 PM »
For anyone that was a fan of System Shock and System Shock 2, (like me), there's a Kickstarter project due to end in 10 days with delivery due December 2017.

System Shock is a complete remake of the genre defining classic from 1994, rebuilt from the ground up with the Unity Engine.

c71cfbbede2f24e42f7d003ffc55667b_original.jpg[Kickstarter] System Shock Remastered

System Shock was one of the first 3D games that took a methodical approach to exploration while revealing a story driven narrative through audio logs and messages scattered throughout the game world. It was a revolutionary step forward for the medium in a time when developers first began experimenting with interactive story telling.

Players were trapped aboard Citadel Station as they fought to survive against the cyborgs and mutated crew members corrupted by a maniacal A.I. known as SHODAN, one of the most treacherous antagonists ever conceived. System Shock offered an unparalleled experience that would solidify it as one of the greatest games of all time.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: [Kickstarter] System Shock Remastered
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 07:54 AM »
I've stopped backing software projects on kickstarter.  Not worth the risk, especially given the history.  This one is a bit better, since they put out a demo.  But that doesnt mean anything either- especially with feature creep from the level of backing.

http://www.gamespot....omplai/1100-6441856/

https://imgur.com/IIwd8sZ

It's already funded, so if ever available, will be available to all.  Caveat Emptor.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 01:00 PM »
There seem to be basically two kinds of projects on kickstarter:

1. Projects that are just vaporware and will probably never get finished or ship.
2. Projects that are basically finished and are ready to go into production and are just using kickstarter for pre-orders.

The second type seem pretty safe to back, though whether it's worth the money to pre-order depends on the cost and perks.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 04:49 PM »
There seem to be basically two kinds of projects on kickstarter:

1. Projects that are just vaporware and will probably never get finished or ship.
2. Projects that are basically finished and are ready to go into production and are just using kickstarter for pre-orders.

The second type seem pretty safe to back, though whether it's worth the money to pre-order depends on the cost and perks.

I think there's a third type- ones that are legitimately in search of funding to finish, and will be finished.  The computer game projects are the ones that end up being sketchy more often than not.  I have a very low non-fulfillment rate, but the bulk of those that haven't fulfilled are computer games.  Which has brought me to the point that I take a really close view at a lot of factors before I back them.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 06:56 PM »
I went ahead and backed it because I liked the original game plus it has reached its goal without going too overboard, (unlike the one you have pointed out), so less likely to suffer Duke Nukem Syndrome.

And while I haven't backed many things on Kickstarter, the only one that has failed to deliver was hardware, (Matchstick).