topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Stumbleupon - better pass your time on the web  (Read 23547 times)

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Stumbleupon - better pass your time on the web
« on: July 07, 2006, 02:15 PM »
Where can I find it?

Here is the website of stumbleupon.

How does it look?

The guys from stumbleupon have created a bunch of screenshots, so I wouldn't have to make my own.

Screenshot - 12_26_2006 , 4_17_05 PM_thumb.png

Uhm, WHAT is it?

StumbleUpon helps you discover and share great websites. As you click  Stumble!, you'll get high-quality pages matched to your personal preferences. These pages have been explicitly recommended (rated I like it) by friends and other SU members with similar interests. Rating these sites shares them with your friends and peers – you will automatically 'stumble upon' each others favorites sites.

and what makes this better then any other service of this kind?

To be frank, I don't know of any service, but maybe these should be listed or even reviewed here as well. I can't say if it is better or worse.

Why do you bother us with this then?

It actually lets you stumble upon interesting websites! Yes, there have been a few that weren't interesting or great at all. This is expected, since a person's interests can vary by the minute, one shouldn't place to much value on accuracy.

I see stumbleupon as a great way to pass time. Just click the green/blue ball and see where it takes you. I don't see this a marketing tool like digg or so.

What makes you use it? What makes you recommend it?

It is easy to install, easy to use; it does not distract the user, and it stays out of the way.

* easy to install: the "sign up" button sends you a mozilla site or extensions. This makes installation easy, because https://addons.mozilla.org/ usually is allowed to install extensions; other sites would have to be allowed first. This makes installation both easy and quick. The installation of the extenstion automatically signs you up on the website, you do not need to fill out any extra forms.

* easy to use: one click to rate sites, one click to stumble upon the next site, one click to tag a site, on click to see what others had to say, one click... you get the picture. What I also like is the fact that it opens pages in a new tab when I click the buttons with the middle mouse button - just like I would click on links. You won't even have to learn to operate a new program!

* does not distract: stumbleupon does not popup anything, no bubbles, windows, messages; it does not blink nor flash, nor does it play any sounds. It does not annoy you when you don't need it. It is there when you need it, it stays away when your attention is on other things.

* stays out of the way: the extension had me when I say I could put it in the menu bar! That means, it doesn't even require an extra toolbar, sidebar or whatever-bar. It does not waste "real estate" which is important to me

Where's the hook?

If you are not careful, you might waste a lot of time stumbling about the web... :D

My Impression

To me this extension is useful (sort of guide through the web), it does look mature. I mean it works just like that, no need to fiddle with anything, no about:config-hacks; just: install - use. This appeals to the technical side of me ;) Hmmm how should I put it, it's solid.

I recommend you try it out, only if you have time to browse the web! If you don't have time to play, don't play.

So far I have used only the most basic functions, there are a few buttons I haven't clicked to see what they do.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 04:18 PM by mouser »

CGA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Stumbleupon - better pass your time on the web
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 04:39 PM »
"Opera not supported" :down:

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 04:51 PM »
"Opera not supported" :down:

Yep, opera doesn't support me either...

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 06:28 PM »
I have been asked on IRC if I liked this service, so I make it clear: Yes I like this service.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 06:33 PM »
great mini review and you captured the spirit of stumbledupon very well  :Thmbsup:

another thing thing to mention is that you should take time to rate sites and leave comments about sites, and that you can view other comments by other people, right?

another related service to check out is http://del.icio.us/

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 06:49 PM »
just to follow up with some extra features:

when you rate a page, it gets added to your page list, which you can see at any time, so its also useful to remember sites.

and don't miss the ability to look at other peoples comment about a site, just click the white "comments" button to see what other people think about the site you are on:
mycaps Screenshot - 003 , 06_44_PM , Jul 07 2006.png

comment page for donationcoder.com:
mycaps Screenshot - 001 , 06_44_PM , Jul 07 2006_thumb.png

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 03:06 AM »
I agree, it's a great way to kill a few hours! :D

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 05:36 AM »
And SU makes it so easy, so enticing to waste a few hours because everything is only one click away. So it does not take effort at all to see something new. Even if I used my bookmarks, I'd need more clicks!

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 04:00 AM »
Last night when I wanted to stumble some more before going to bed, I was sent to a SU page asking me questions. It looked like a survey thing and might have been there to improve SU. It also might have been there to find out more about me which then is shared with their affiliates... I haven't read SU's privacy policy and TOS yet, so I can't say.

Point is, that wasn't so much a stumble as it was some sort of nag-page. I shall observe, how frequently this happens.

Es ist nicht alles Gold, was glänzt!

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 01:18 AM »
http://news.zdnet.co...g=feed&subj=zdnn

The 4-year-old company produces a browser plug-in that recommends popular Web sites to its users based on their stated preferences--such as photography, science or cool gadgets--and the endorsement of others in the Stumbleupon community within those categories. It's like channel surfing with a Web remote that knows what you might like.

The application now has 1 million registered users from Mozilla Firefox, the primary browser it supports, following improvements Stumbleupon made to it in May, according to the company. And next week, Stumbleupon will unveil a public version for Microsoft's Internet Explorer, which commands the majority of the browser market, in the hopes of expanding its membership by the millions.

[...]

mukestar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 09:17 PM »
How do you think i found donationcoder.com  :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 03:31 AM »
welcome to the site mukestar, glad you found us  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 04:08 PM »
I have to apologize to the people who were using stumbleupon a year ago when this site started, for not giving stumbleupon a closer look at the time.

I've been using it much more in the last week, thanks to some prodding from alex3f, and am discovering some of the fantastic features.  It is really an amazingly great thing, and I strongly recommend everyone try it.

If you do, here is how to add me as a "friend" whom you can send sites to, view my favorite pages, surf similar sites, etc:

• First sign up and install the stumbleupon toolbar.
  • Then click on "Friends"
  • Click "Find a friend"
  • Type "dcmouser" and then click search
  • Then when it finds me, click on my avatar.
  • Then Click "Add as a friend" link on top of screen.

Let's all sign up and add each other as friends  :Thmbsup:

WARNING: stumbleupon is ADDICTIVE.  It's like eating cheetos, you press stumble button and it suggests a new random site it thinks you will like.  Then you rate it up or down and it learns your preferences.  It's damn hard to stop surfing this way..

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Stumbleupon for opera is there!
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 04:42 AM »
 :D :-* :D :-* :D :-*

Good News Everyone!
Finally! It is there: StumbleUpon for Opera!

The Wait is over ;D
I had to wait so long, but no more. I can now rate and submit sites, and even have simple "integration" like the extension for firefox provides.

Trau, Schau Wem :o
I recommend this toolbar. However, before you can install it, you have to provide your ID, nickname, and password; this might keep users off operastumbler, although it didn't stop me. I guess this information is coded into each user's toolbar.

Thumbs Up  :up: :up:
It works very well. Here are the screenshots and the code.

edit: minor typo corrected
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 10:33 AM by housetier »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 09:07 AM »
Thanks a lot, housetier!
Now this is great :D

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 09:22 AM »
Stumbleupon has to be the greatest procrastination tool ever invented, ya gotta love it  :-*

Lusher

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 03:42 PM »
I've being using it for a couple of months. But I use it more like a blog really, and to see how many new site on security software  I can put in quick before someone else does.

Quite fun really, to see how many fans you can get....