topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Where is the registry function for left clicking the desktop?  (Read 3140 times)

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Fighting Slime all the Time
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Right click the desktop is easy enough to find.  As well as left clicking an icon for an application or file.  If you are already in a file like word, outlook etc, left click functions are documented.  But I cant locate anything for left clicking on an empty spot on Windows desktop?  Does a registry function exist for that option and if not could one be added?

I can draw a "box" (that disappears unless I drag it over to hit some icons) so there must be some way to capture that initial action of a left click on the empty desktop and use it to initiate an action just like right clicking the same spot.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Where is the registry function for left clicking the desktop?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 12:51 PM »
Left click and right click on the windows desktop are two totally different things.  Right click is made to be contextual.  Left click isn't.  The drawing of the box is made to interact with desktop objects at the OS level.  Right click is similar... but links to the menu that comes up.  There is not an easy, non programmatic way AFAIK to capture the left click, as it would override the OS functionality.  It is possible.  Just not easy.

Perhaps someone knows something that I don't know in that regard... I can try to post some code if you're interested in doing it in a programmatic way.  AHK might be able to do it also.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 07:04 PM »
This may help, I capture the LMB click and change it to a RMB click if it's held down for a certain period.

https://www.donation....msg376883#msg376883

I guess for what you want you would just need to remove the delay check and see what was under the pointer at the time, then initiate an action.

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 08:21 PM »
Might work, 4WD.  But I need it to function outside of a browser for my purposes.  Usually one assumes left clicking to be the primary interaction with a program.  Right click provides option functionalities in the same area of actions.  Or so that was how I had assumed
Left click a program icon or image icon to open it using its default assigned APP:  ie> open with MSPaint.exe.  Right click one to change some feature or function relating to that image or all images. Rename, Move, etc
Right click the desktop opens a slew of different apps that you might want and there are ways to modify the menu offered there.  I already have what I needed working under an RC.  I just would rather LC if I could.

LC the desktop and Nothing a all happens.  If I wanted a direct function related to the 'desktop' I would have preferred to put it as LC  but I can get there with an RC if that is my only option.  I might check out your code though to see what happens.  Anything you come up with is usually Good :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 09:37 PM »
Might work, 4WD.  But I need it to function outside of a browser for my purposes.

It's not tied to a browser, it intercepts any LMB click that is held down for more than a certain period unless the program it's over institutes its own custom handler.

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 10:15 PM »
OK I'll take it then.  Now, are you the one who came up with that nice "display box in vbs" a while back?  I have decided I am not likely to get what I want on the password box so I am going with plan B.

Use VBS script to achieves the same results but is a clunky way to get there.  The User can see what they are typing into the VBS box and when click on OK it is sent to the other program's Password box.  This way it avoids the need to have the same input going to multiple places at the same time.  Dual points of focus is hard to achieve.   It also avoids using an outright key-logger function which is always a good idea just for the sake of propriety and to avoid any thoughts of hacking.

Works like this.  RIGHT click the "password" box of the program.  Choose to activate special VBS script.  VBS Script opens a windows on top of the password box with message "Type the password to use here".  You get to SEE what you type in that box which stores the entry to a temporary variable.  When done, User can SEE what is about to be used and make sure all is spelled right.  If not, erase and fix, if correct, you click on the 'Done' button inside VBS box to end the entry to the VBS.

The VBS then drops that variable into the real PASSWORD box that it was displayed on top of.  You click OK to use it.  IF all goes well you get  in.  BUT!!
If the program tells you that your password was incorrect, try again, .. Well.  You know it is telling a LIE!  Since computers don't LIE.  Somebody had to have changed your password.

If you know YOU did not change your password and you just SAW with your own eyes what you entered.  Then Somebody else changed it and you should contact the company IT Tech ASAP to find out why.  Don't bother trying 5 more times until the system locks you out.

Someone famously said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results"   I think it was the original designer who came up with the "hidden characters" password box.
 :o :'(

This is a procedure that would be called into play only at times when you get one of those "I know I entered my password" messages but the system says you didn't.  You may only need it once in Blue Moon but when you get that message once, you hear that voice saying " Use The Force, Dude".  Maybe should name the VBS, "The Force.vbs", eh?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:25 PM by questorfla »