topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: prt sc not working  (Read 7329 times)

wallee

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
prt sc not working
« on: March 23, 2016, 07:23 AM »
Hey Mouser

Have been using latest version 4.16.1 for a while - no issues. Today the print screen button stopped working with SC.  I tested the button by opening paint and using control V the capture is working. Shift + print screen works so I changed the setting. Using win 10 ASUS laptop.

Any idea what would do this or how to fix it?
Wallee
"Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks."

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: prt sc not working
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 11:50 AM »
It's probably another program that is stealing the PrtScr hotkey.  Do you have dropbox running? It has a default option to capture the PrtScr hotkey.

wallee

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 01:00 PM »
I have looked everywhere for the dropbox setting  for prt sc  cannot find it.. maybe it's on the upgrade version.. I'm basic.   both Screenshot Captor and Dropbox have been on my machine since day one.. never any issues. I did see a post about one drive grabbing it but I disabled it and still have the issue.  I use SC  just about every day.. this is the first issue I think I've had - ever.

Dropbox updated on the 19th but I used SC  after that without issue.
Wallee
"Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks."

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 01:14 PM »
see https://www.donation....msg392939#msg392939

that thread suggests to go to dropbox options and enable prtscr then disable it.

maybe a reboot would help too?

Sangatster

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 11:08 AM »
Quick note about this problem.  I started seeing this in Windows 10 fairly recently (today 2016.08.26).

Some of Microsoft's Office 365 apps are trapping all keystrokes and telling the OS that the keypress event has been handled, so the global handler doesn't get it.  I see this on some web sites too.

In Win32 at least, shouldn't be different in Win64, the only time an app should flag a keystroke event as handled is if it is an app-specific keystroke and the window is active.  Otherwise the app is supposed to tell the OS effectively "OK I'm done with it, pass it on" and not "eat" the keyboard message.

Anyway, one thing to try is to make sure you're running Screenshot Captor as administrator.  This appears to be required in order for global hotkeys to work as they used to.  My workplace has strict policies and I think their restrictions have sometimes caused this to happen.  It's not happening since I forced the app to load with administrator privs (I only have "local admin" privs on this workstation, incidentally).

You can also try setting the "compatibility mode" option in the properties dialog for the shortcut.  If you don't use a shortcut to start SSC, create one.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 12:04 PM »
^ thanks,
PrtScr stopped working with SC on my Win.7 x64 desktop this week -- it does take a screenshot to the clipboard, but this screenshot was not saved in SC. (I checked SC settings and it should be automatically saved.)
=> not on desktop now, so unable to check if (possibly) related to windows updates -- will report back when I get chance to check.
Tom

Sangatster

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 12:20 PM »
I had issues with Windows 7 but have had lots more with Windows 10.  I'm now using Startup Delayer, a free startup launcher that can load things when I boot up after everything else has loaded to launch Screenshot Captor, as well as several other apps.  I get the impression that when Windows processes autoruns it hasn't loaded all the credentials yet.  On two occasions, the *.INI setting files for portable apps like Screenshot Captor got reset to factory defaults, as if the system didn't think the app should have rights to the folder it's in.  After several hours of research I finally gave up and went with the startup delay app because nothing else worked consistently for everything.

Simple things, like the Startups folder under the Start menu just flat don't do anything anymore.  Stuff I put in there had no effect.  Some of this could also be due to corporate IT policies, I don't know, but it's a great waste of time trying to resolve things like this.

<rant>
I have tinkered with Linux on several occasions but at this rate, and especially as Microsoft migrates to a monthly fee licensing model, Linux is looking better all the time.
</rant>

6DecadesOld

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 01:21 AM »
Okey-dokey, I'm going to use this thread as it seems polite to the admin not to start a new thread when this one is here, even though my unit isn't made note of here.

I am looking into using Screenshot Captor because the print screen button on a Fujitsu, Windows 7 unit started acting weird last night, my time.  This Fujitsu requires the use of the Fn button pressed with the PrtSc button.

I have been looking all over the place for something that would fix my issue and there is all sorts of information out there, but nothing seems to work.  (Yes, I know about the Snipping Tool, and used it during the registration here, but it has a big problem that I didn't have with the normal Print Screen tool.)

Point is, if this software requires the use of the Fn/PrtSc button to work, am I going to have trouble?

I saw this when studying here:

<>  <>  <>  Copy Starts  <>  <>  <>

Tutorial: Getting Started

3. By default Screenshot Captor is configured to capture the entire screen when you hit the PrtScr button, so do that.

<>  <>  <>  Copy Ends  <>  <>  <>

Do I need to fix my button trouble before I download the software?

Thank you for any assistance you may have time to offer me.
Do you still have your TRS-80?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 01:38 AM »
Do I need to fix my button trouble before I download the software?
You can configure alternate buttons for capturing your screenshots, on the HotKeys and Shortcuts page you can select Custom hotkeys, I'd advise not to use often used keys like Esc or Tab.

There have been reports of MS OneDrive grabbing the PrtScr key after installation/update and acting all funny/unexpected, but it can be disabled in their settings to allow other applications to use the PrtScr key.

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 01:43 AM »
I have a Dell PC that requires the use of Fn + Print Screen so I just used SSC to set the F10 key to grab select region.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 02:02 AM »
What everyone else said -- you can set whatever hotkey you want to trigger the different captures.  Or you could even use a little bar docked to your screen that you trigger with a mouse click if you prefer.

6DecadesOld

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 04:14 AM »
Okey-dokey, I understand.  And appreciate the trouble you folks went to to read and answer. (Neat, the grammar check doesn't like that double 'to' there.)

BUT --  and this is really weird -- I fixed my key trouble and you ain't gonna guess what works, even if I gave you my six decades to get it.  Well, I am going too far there, aren't I?

It is just that for hours I have been poking my nose into all sorts of corners all over the Net looking at all sorts of answers and nothing was working and then I had a thought and gave it a try and it works.

I hold down the Fn key and then tap the PrtSc key three times.

First time it worked I didn't believe it, but it was right there and I saved it.  So I did it again.  And again.  And it works.  I don't have time to think about that deeply, although the idea of some sort of sticky key sort of creeps into some part of my brain, but I sense that isn't the answer why it's working.

And it creeped into my old brain that as I have an external monitor added to this laptop it may have something to do with that.  Weird, isn't it?  Like I have to at least tap that key twice -- once for each monitor.  I just haven't had time to properly figure that answer out, but I have discovered an answer and that is rather neat.

And the print screen trouble has caused me to find this place and that might be pretty cool.  And I am thinking I may just want to install the Screenshot Captor on this unit anyway.  I suspect there are features available I could use.

Has anyone ever noticed any conflict with any Microsoft installed program/tool/service with the Screenshot Captor?  I've noticed over the past few years that Microsoft seems to be getting nastier and nastier about 3rd-party stuff on a Windows unit, so that is why I ask.  That "vote system" that causes some drives to crash is one really weird "We-Don't-Like-You" Microsoft trick, for example.
Do you still have your TRS-80?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 05:01 AM »
Has anyone ever noticed any conflict with any Microsoft installed program/tool/service with the Screenshot Captor?

not here (Windows 7 x64 pro)
I'm using the installed version of SC.

One thing worth noting:
I use an admin account but with UAC at highest level.
If an app is running 'as admin', some of the hotkeys will not work: just checked and PrtScr or Shift+PrtScr dont work, but Alt+PrtScr does (grab active window). Using the SC systray context menu works for any capture I tried though (with 'run as admin' software).

And the print screen trouble has caused me to find this place and that might be pretty cool.

IIRC, I was having trouble with the app key and one software, got an AHK solution here and stayed :up:
Tom

Sangatster

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 08:55 AM »
Just following up.  I don't remember when the issue stopped, but I haven't had this problem in a while.  One day it just resumed functionality.

For those who are discussing Fn+PrtScrn, that should merely generate a Print Screen keyboard scancode.  It's a simulated switch in the device driver, but it should work like regular print screen.  No reason for it to act any differently.

At least that's how it should work...