topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Start Menu 10 Pro "skip start screen"  (Read 10899 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Start Menu 10 Pro "skip start screen"
« on: March 20, 2016, 02:28 PM »
I had a giveaway for Start Menu X Pro.  The "skip start screen" feature never worked.  Recently GOTD had a giveaway of Start Menu 10 by the same publisher.  At least on my Laptop running Windows 8.0 the "skip start screen" feature works consistently.

Also it is slightly different than Start Menu X in appearance.  I like it better.  I think the skip start screen is not limited to the Pro edition.  So it should work on the freebie if anyone wants to check it out.

It should pop up on another giveaway site soon.
Start Menu 10

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Start Menu 10 Pro "skip start screen"
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 03:15 PM »
Thanks for the information.  :)  I see that as of today, 2016-03-20, it's on a 10th anniversary sale at 50% regular price.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 03:39 PM »
Thanks for the information.  :)  I see that as of today, 2016-03-20, it's on a 10th anniversary sale at 50% regular price.

Cool.  For those mainly interested in bypassing the Start Screen I believe that feature is also in the Free version.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 04:36 PM »
http://www.ordinarysoft.com/

Start Menu 10
Start Menu X
Start Button 8
Classic Start Menu
Start Menu 7
Vista Start Menu
Start Menu XP
Tidy Start Menu
Tidy Favorites

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 06:21 PM by Curt, Reason: Favorites abandoned »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 10:38 AM »
I spoke too soon.  Now every day on the first boot of the day it hangs at the start screen.  Hitting Enter or clicking on the Desktop tile does nothing. I have to control alt del and log off, then log back in.  Then it works.  It's easier just to turn the option off and hit Enter to go to the Desktop.  Sheesh.  :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 03:53 PM »
I run Start Menu 10 Pro 5.80 32 bit, and I have not had any problems - and no start screen at all.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 04:13 PM »
I run Start Menu 10 Pro 5.80 32 bit, and I have not had any problems - and no start screen at all.

What OS are you running?  Mine is on Windows 8.0.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 06:34 PM »
I have never tried Windows 8. Mine is 32-bits Windows 10 Home

but _7_, _8_, _X_, and _10_ are all marked "Platforms: From Windows XP up to Windows 10 (32 and 64 bit)"

no, I only have a key for some of them

ehh... just MAYBE your "10" -key will also work with "X".

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 09:43 PM »
I have never tried Windows 8. Mine is 32-bits Windows 10 Home

but _7_, _8_, _X_, and _10_ are all marked "Platforms: From Windows XP up to Windows 10 (32 and 64 bit)"

no, I only have a key for some of them

ehh... just MAYBE your "10" -key will also work with "X".

I had Start Menu X Pro from a giveaway.  It did not skip start screen at all that I remember.  This one worked but perhaps it is a side effect of adding more toys that start when Windows starts.  I added a disk LED indicator and Alt Drag mouse utility.  I guess I could use my DelayedCuts to auto start them and see if that clears it up.

If I find out anything I will follow up.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 12:24 PM »
Starting those two programs and Nexus Dock using DelayedCuts seems to work so far.  It has only been a couple of days but I hope for the best.   :up:

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 01:21 PM »
Are you just trying to get rid of that ridiculous extra screen where you have to press a key to get to the logon screen? If that's it, I used WinAeroTweaker to fix that when Win 8 introduced it (it's Disable Lock Screen in the Boot & Logon section). Or you could regedit over to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization and create a dword "NoLockScreen" and set it to 1.

Of course I could easily be misunderstanding what you're looking for...
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 07:09 AM »
Are you just trying to get rid of that ridiculous extra screen where you have to press a key to get to the logon screen?

No.  But since you mention it I will check out Tweaker.  The key I am trying to avoid is hitting Enter with the Desktop tile in upper left corner.  It seems to be working since using my program to start the Tray programs I added recently rather than using their built in "start with Windows" function.  The Start Screen comes up.  Then when Start Menu 10 Start Button shows, it goes to the Desktop without any intervention.  The other weird thing I notice in Start Menu 10 is if the option is enabled to hit Winkey twice to go back to the Desktop from the Start Screen, when in Desktop if I hit the Winkey, it will go to the Start Screen but only remain there while I hold the key down.  As soon as I release it I am back at the Desktop.

No biggie.  I just disabled the Winkey option.  :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 01:10 AM »
@MilesAhead, did you try Classic Shell? Surely, Half a million downloads per month must imply something...

http://www.classicshell.net/
h
Classic Shell (shell alternative for Windows 10, 8, 7) - Mini-Review
-donationcoder.com/forum

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 07:28 AM »
@MilesAhead, did you try Classic Shell? Surely, Half a million downloads per month must imply something...

http://www.classicshell.net/
h
Classic Shell (shell alternative for Windows 10, 8, 7) - Mini-Review
-donationcoder.com/forum

I tried Classic Shell awhile back.  It was flakier than Start Menu X or 10.  So far the work-around of adding these LED and AltDrag tray utilities via my delayed start utility seems to be working. Since I made the change it has worked every time(up to about 6 or 7 boots by now I think.)

Also I start Nexus Dock using the delayed utility.  I am starting to like Nexus.  Simple to configure.  Now that I have it so it closes after a short delay and does not jump in front of other windows, and does not make sound effects, it is unobtrusive.  It seems simpler to set up than RocketDock.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 09:46 AM »
Well, I kept getting funky hangs at startup with this where I had to log off, then log back on.  So what I did was disable the Start With Windows option for Start Menu 10.  This makes the Bypass Start Screen option moot.  I just added Start Menu 10 to my DelayedCuts list.

I log in and hit enter to go to the desktop.  Then all is as normal.  After everything else loads Start Menu 10 runs.  Good enough!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 04:34 PM »
I tried Classic Shell awhile back.  It was flakier than Start Menu X or 10
Hmm, it works for me FWIW. I have it on one machine of mine (4.2.5). Start 10 is on my wife's machine and it's behaving well also.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 08:42 PM »
Hmm, it works for me FWIW. I have it on one machine of mine (4.2.5).
-cranioscopical (April 08, 2016, 04:34 PM)

It's worked perfectly for me since I had Windows 8.1, (now 10), installed across 3 desktops and a netbook.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 10:49 AM »
Hmm, it works for me FWIW. I have it on one machine of mine (4.2.5).
-cranioscopical (April 08, 2016, 04:34 PM)

It's worked perfectly for me since I had Windows 8.1, (now 10), installed across 3 desktops and a netbook.

This W 8.0 does have its foibles.  System Restore does not work.  That is why I felt compelled to buy RollBackRX Pro so I could take snapshots instead of doing system images every single time I installed a utility.  I suspect the machine is open box.  But it does work so...

I would probably just put Windows 7 Pro on if I had a base of operations.  But I don't want to experiment too much with the only machine I have.  The public PCs in the public and school library you are reduced to a Guest account.  You can only save stuff to USB.  Don't even think about setting a system setting!!!

So until I have a computer room someplace I have to wing it.  Other than having to replace the transformer power plug doodad at least mechanically it has been sound.  But stuff that works on most PCs I have to try it and make sure.  Like I am sure ToolWiz Time Machine works for many people.  But it won't work on this PC.  Neither will Shadow Defender.  When initializing Shadow Mode it just hangs.

I think the problem is with how this thing boots not with Start Menu 10.  It did work for awhile.  Which is the strange part.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 06:53 AM »
System Restore does not work.

It's worked for me.  What do you mean it does not work?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 08:09 AM »
System Restore does not work.

It's worked for me.  What do you mean it does not work?

It has never worked right on this Laptop.  The machine was only 2 days old and I had to use a restore point.  It hung during reboot for 20 minutes before it finally came back up successful.  Nine times out of ten it would come up after booting with the dialog that system restore did not complete.  On this Laptop it is useless.  This is the only Windows PC I ever owned that had a non functional SR.  That's another reason I suspect it is open box.

Fortunately I got RollbackRX Pro at a discount.  It cost me something around $37.  Not perfect but it does allow me to return to a snapshot quickly.  It is more thorough than SR.

Anyway I gave details in other threads already so I don't want to rehash it all here.