topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Dan Gilmor on moving to Linux  (Read 33411 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Dan Gilmor on moving to Linux
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 04:01 PM »
More like a losing battle IMO. With development costs being what they are today, I can't see too many programming shops that would be willing to spend that sort of money rolling their wares out to run native on Linux, even if they could. The industry leader always creates a gravity well it's difficult to escape from.

I'm not sure about that. A lot of the game engines these days are supporting multiple platforms natively. Whether that's through HTML/WebGL/Javascript tricks or game engines like Unity using the cross platform mono scripting language, etc., we're seeing many, many more new games supporting Windows, OSX, and Linux these days. Admittedly, this isn't often the case with games from AAA studios. But the recently released OpenGL replacement Vulkan, which game engines and graphics cards will soon (read: over the next few years) support, has many people in the games industry excited. I think we're (gradually) moving toward a more unified, cross-platform future.

Of course, that won't change any of the currently released games which only support Windows. But as time goes on, I suppose we'll always have things like DOSBox, the Internet Archive, or even VMs, to allow us to play older games on newer systems. Perhaps even in the browser.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 04:03 PM »
It always makes me sad to see how people pervert the once neat little document viewer called browser.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 04:17 PM »
More like a losing battle IMO. With development costs being what they are today, I can't see too many programming shops that would be willing to spend that sort of money rolling their wares out to run native on Linux, even if they could. The industry leader always creates a gravity well it's difficult to escape from.

I'm not sure about that. A lot of the game engines these days are supporting multiple platforms natively. Whether that's through HTML/WebGL/Javascript tricks or game engines like Unity using the cross platform mono scripting language, etc., we're seeing many, many more new games supporting Windows, OSX, and Linux these days. Admittedly, this isn't often the case with games from AAA studios. But the recently released OpenGL replacement Vulkan, which game engines and graphics cards will soon (read: over the next few years) support, has many people in the games industry excited. I think we're (gradually) moving toward a more unified, cross-platform future.

Of course, that won't change any of the currently released games which only support Windows. But as time goes on, I suppose we'll always have things like DOSBox, the Internet Archive, or even VMs, to allow us to play older games on newer systems. Perhaps even in the browser.

I think that all that you're saying would be true, if the people giving the money were the same people doing the development.  But they aren't.  And it takes a lot of convincing to get those people who really do believe "You can't go wrong with Microsoft" that these cross-platform initiatives are worth it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2016, 10:48 AM »
Your ability to understand my comebacks is among the very few things I would never believe in.

It's not so much your comments are difficult to understand as they're easy to dismiss because they usually contain zero relevant content and contribute zip to the discussion. But if it amuses you to continue posting them, knock yourself out. Everybody should have a hobby.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2016, 10:51 AM »
Yup, I totally knock myself out by stating facts that contradict your pointless babbling.  :up:

Want some fries with that?

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2016, 11:16 AM »
 ;)

where-is-the-love.jpgDan Gilmor on moving to Linux

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2016, 11:18 AM »
Yup, I totally knock myself out by stating facts that contradict your pointless babbling.  :up:

Want some fries with that?

Dunno my friend. I happen to be pretty well liked and respected around these parts for all my "pointless babbling" as you put it. How about you?

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2016, 11:20 AM »
Please refrain from calling me a friend unless you're willing to prove that you are worth it.

I never had a doubt that some people might like you regardless of your babbling. Even Trump has some fans left.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2016, 11:21 AM »
;)

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Apologies. Everybody gets tired of listening to certain people every so often. Even me. I should know better than to bandy words with people who have obvious psychological issues. So point taken. Thx rg!  :)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2016, 11:24 AM »
people who have obvious psychological issues

Lovely attack. Reported.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2016, 11:26 AM »
people who have obvious psychological issues

Lovely attack. Reported.

Be my guest. I'll happily await the decision of the powers that be.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2016, 11:28 AM »
I surely hope they won't let you go wild here without any borders. This was a friendly community when I registered, not a "let's insult people because we are out of arguments" one.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2016, 11:56 AM »
I surely hope they won't let you go wild here without any borders. This was a friendly community when I registered, not a "let's insult people because we are out of arguments" one.

Hard to predict. Despite numerous complaints about your comments over the years, you seem to have been allowed to continue unabated. And you're rather handy and free with insults yourself in case you haven't noticed. So your convenient indignation and sudden butt-hurt along with your self-serving comment about this being a "friendly community" is rather ironic considering your troll-like comments in many other threads on this forum. So if that's any indication of the degree of tolerance around here, I'm not the least bit worried.

Nevertheless, I'll wait to hear from the mods or Mouser regarding your complaint. It will be interesting to see what he/they have to suggest.

So this is all I'm going to say about this until I hear back. They take reports pretty seriously around here. So I'm sure neither one of us will have to wait very long to hear back from the admins. 

Bye!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2016, 03:39 PM »
Comeon guys, just drop it please.

To try and stun ye into silence, I post the kitchiest thank you [in advance] that I could find on donationcoder:

:P
Tom