topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Idea for decluttered android twitter app  (Read 6621 times)

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Idea for decluttered android twitter app
« on: January 23, 2016, 10:40 PM »
I have a twitter account, buy hardly use it, because every time I open the app on my phone, I just see a giant list of 150+ new tweets. I just finished organizing all the people I follow in to lists, however if one person tweets like there is no tomorrow, then I'll get bombarded with their tweets, and miss the other people in that list.

What I am looking for is either an app that already does what I am about to describe, or someone willing to code this app, as I only know a little AHK, and nothing else.

I want an app that will show me all the lists in my account, and then I can tap one, and it would open it like you would open a folder in windows explorer. It would then show a grid (or list if the user prefers) of all the people in that list with an unread count next to them. You would then tap on the person who's tweets you would like to look at, and it would show a timeline of just their tweets (and maybe retweets (user choice maybe?))

I don't know if this is even possible, given how restricted twitter's api rate limits are.
[Insert really cool signature here]

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Idea for decluttered android twitter app
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 11:06 PM »
Have you tried Twidere ?

It's also a lot less intrusive permission-wise.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 08:01 AM »
Have you tried Twidere ?

It's also a lot less intrusive permission-wise.
I have not, but I'll check it out

edit: Twidere comes pretty close to what I am looking for, but the tabs show the icon for the type of tab it is, but not the tab label. I don't know if I am missing something, but I don't really get the point of being able to label your tabs if the labels don't even show up.

edit 2: Nvm, I ran across the "scrapyard" settings page, and figured out how to show the label instead of the icon.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:32 AM by nite_monkey »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 05:50 PM »
The only (not really a) problem with Twidere I ran across was the limit on the number of reply Tweets it displayed but that was a function of Twitter's anally-restrictive API and it didn't impact me on the one feed I follow, (which is low traffic anyway).

There's also Carbon but I only had a small play with that as it wasn't really what I was after and I'm not sure if it's any better for what you want.

Another alternative is TweetDeck which runs in a browser, it's another interface to Twitter, (by Twitter), that allows for a bit more customising.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 06:44 PM by 4wd »

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 07:08 PM »
The only (not really a) problem with Twidere I ran across was the limit on the number of reply Tweets it displayed but that was a function of Twitter's anally-restrictive API...

Another alternative is TweetDeck which runs in a browser, it's another interface to Twitter, (by Twitter), that allows for a bit more customising.
Yeah, I noticed that Twidere feels a lot more restricted than the last app I was using(can't remember the name, wasn't the official one though)
I used to use the Tweetdeck android app way back when they were their own entity. Then Twitter had to buy them out, and shutdown the app because it was better than their own app, which they didn't like.