topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2016 :Window resize keys (grids X*Y where X,Y = 1 to 5)  (Read 21532 times)

wjamoe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2016 :Window resize keys (grids X*Y where X,Y = 1 to 5)
« on: December 13, 2015, 09:23 AM »
win_resize_keys

Resize you window for multiple side by side monitors using only keyboard short cuts.

Icon         : resize 16x16.png
Keys         :  ctrl + win + cursor
Compatible : Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2012 R2, 7, 8, 8.1, 10
                  (win + cursor still works for win 7+)
Executable : see at the bottom of this post..

A large window shortens the side pointed at with the cursor direction.
A small window extends to the side in cursor direction.

You can change the sizing delta to half, one third, one fourth or one fifth of the monitor work area . Work area is somewhat smaller than the screen size because it takes the task bar into account.
You can align windows to a grid 1x1 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, or any combinations of these grids.

Short cut keys:

key combination description
ctrl + win + left,  ctrl + win + right Easily shorten or extend the width of a window to any of the four sides within the work area of your (side by side) monitor(s)
ctrl + win + up,  ctrl + win +down Easily shorten or extend the height of a window to any of the four sides within the work area of your (side by side) monitor(s)
change resize part/increment
ctrl + win + 1 define resize part as the full monitor's work area (extends side of window)
ctrl + win + 2 define resize part as half of the monitor's work area (default) window can be full, half or quarter of the screen
ctrl + win + 3 define resize part as one third of the monitor's work area (default)
ctrl + win + 4 define resize part as one fourth of the monitor's work area (e.g. for full hd monitors 1920x1080 or 1920x1200)
ctrl + win + 5 define resize part as one fifth of the monitor's work area (for large monitors e.g. 4k uhd)

Cycle trough different sizes:
 When you press a key combinations multiple times the width and height will cycle through different sizes. Use this to peek under current window or store window to the side for a moment

The following Resizing rules are applied:
 If window height or width larger than 2 resize parts - 3px then reduce the height/width with resize part  (opposite cursor direction).
 When  windows height/width smaller than 2 resize parts -3px  then extend window side in cursor direction.

Align with grid 1x1 2x2 3x3 4x4 5x5
 if you extend to the sides using ctrl + win + left and ctrl + win + right, ctrl + win + up and ctrl + win + down,
 then  you can resize your window to fit any contiguous rectangle in one of the grids which as depicted below

Please Note: To maximize the flexibility this windows management tool the width and height changes are all done relative to current window position and width and height.
So this won't automatically align with the grid (like gridmove), you must extend to a side (using the key combinations) to be able align with the grid. All combinations are possible.

win resize visual.pngNANY 2016 :Window resize keys (grids X*Y where X,Y = 1 to 5)

full work area after pressing ctrl+win+1
2x2 grid after pressing ctrl+win+2 (dafault)
3x3 grid after pressing ctrl+win+3
4x4 grid after pressing ctrl+win+4
5x5 grid after pressing ctrl+win+5
2x3 grid press ctrl+win+2 before up or down and press ctrl+win+3 before crtl+win+left or right

additional features:
- if window was maximized then window is restored to previous size automatically so you don't have to restore it using your mouse.
- when top left of window outside work area of your monitors, it will be moved to top left of work area of primary monitor, to easily restore lost windows
- can be used in combination with win+cursor in win7+

known issues:
- all windows obey their minimum window width and minimum window height, so small windows might overlap other windows when using the grid.
- no instruction apart from these.
- must add some visuals to this post.
- ctrl+win+digit is already used by windows 7+ (see post below), this tool will overrule the taskbar function.

enjoy  :D

v1.00 : first public version (downloaded 9 times)
v1.01 : added grid ctrl+win+1 to allow immediate extend when using ctrl+win+cursor (download 1 time)
v1.02 : 2x2 (ctrl+win+2) is now the default grid size (instead of 3x3)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:20 AM by wjamoe »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sounds interesting :up:
Tom

wjamoe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2016 :Window resize keys (grids combi 2x2 3x3 4x4 5x5)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 01:05 PM »
thanks for the thumps up,
executable is now added to first post.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 06:56 PM »
My first impressions with this tool are that it works as advertised, claiming very little RAM and hardly any other resources.  :Thmbsup:

For reference, I tried it on a Windows Server 2012 R2 PC.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 09:04 AM »
Note I'm trying this on a single monitor setup (Win.7 x64)

took me a moment to understand that the Win+Ctrl+[number] are simply to define the grid.
I really like the dividing in fifths (e.g. one window @four-fifths of screen, the other a column on the side).

There is some behaviour I find confusing:

1) I've got to press Win+Ctrl+RightArrow for the window to move 'shrink' to left side of screen (maybe I'm misunderstanding and it's just cycling, but I am a bit confused by the sequence, complicated by #2 below)

2) if I press e.g. Win+Ctrl+RightArrow, and then press Win+Ctrl+LeftArrow before cycling through all the options, the window gets stuck in a sort-of no-mans-land -- it is difficult (impossible?) to get it to go full screen size again (I start maximised). If I maximise via titlebar, and try again, it still doesnt work correctly. (I will try and get a more accurate description of this behaviour.)
Tom

wjamoe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 01:08 PM »
Tomos,

thanks for your comments!

I added one option ctrl+win+1 which will extend the window to the side when pressing ctrl+win+cursor. Is this more like what you expected? Maybe I should make this the default. Using ctrl+win+<digit> then allows you to resize according to the grids.

I also add some diagrams to the first post to explain the resize cycle.

Which program acted strange after restoring from maximized and resizing ? This should not happen, but some programs have strange size constraint. For example cmd.exe has a maximum width (80 chars) and a minimum height.

As a fail safe the above key combination ctr+win+1 followed by ctrl+win+cursor in any direction will restore any weird windows, hope this helps.

MS Powerpoint even allowed me to resize the full screen (shift-F5) using this tool, without problems.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 01:29 PM by wjamoe »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 01:59 PM »
thanks wjamoe,
will try the latest version :up:
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 02:15 PM »
Pale Moon - Version: 25.8.1 (x64)

Ctrl+Win+5
=>
Ctrl+Win+Right-arrow
=>
keeping Ctrl+Win pressed click Right-arrow four [4] times) reduces window each time with left edge of window at left edge of screen.
=>
keeping Ctrl+Win pressed clicking Right-arrow again (the fifth [5th]) time maximises window.

Okay,
what's confusing (but probably just needs getting used to/understanding) is this:
Try:
Ctrl+Win+Right-arrow (x1)
=>
Ctrl+Win+Left-arrow (x1)
=
what happens is, that the window starts shrinking from both sides.
This is logical -- and potentially useful -- but hard to know exactly how to undo, i.e. how to either dock window on one edge or to maximise.

EDIT// messing around with it, I am getting used to it -- it needs whatever was done on one side to be undone, then it will cycle as expected back to maximised.
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 02:17 PM »
As a fail safe the above key combination ctr+win+1 followed by ctrl+win+cursor in any direction will restore any weird windows, hope this helps.

Ctrl+Win+1 opens the first entry in the Quick Menu (is that what it's called? pinned icons next to the win button on taskbar) -- that gave me a surprise, dont know if that's universal? Or if not how to stop it..
[Win.7 x64]
Doesnt have any affect on WinResizeKeys.
Tom

wjamoe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 03:37 PM »
I assume I deleted the wrong version

You are right the keyboard ctrl+win+number combination is apparently already used in windows 7+.
I looked it up and found the following list :

Ctrl+Windows logo key+number   
  Switch to the last active window of the program pinned to the taskbar(quick menu) in the position indicated by the number.

Alt+Windows logo key+number   
  Open the Jump List for the program pinned to the taskbar in the position indicated by the number.

Shift+Windows logo key+number   
  Start a new instance of the program pinned to the taskbar in the position indicated by the number.

I normally use vistawitcher (taskswitchxp pro) to switch between programs, so I didn't use the above short cuts.

It is going to be hard to find a different keyboard short cut, I think I'll stick with them.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 03:43 PM by wjamoe »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 03:59 PM »
It is going to be hard to find a different keyboard short cut, I think I'll stick with them.

I only have one icon in the Quick Menu (and have no problem removing it) -- but will this not be a problem for anyone with a Quick Menu?

FWIW I never even knew that shortcut existed -- I suspect it will work with WinResizeKeys when there's no entries in the Quick Menu (unable to test now as not on desktop).

EDIT// another FWIW:
  Switch to the last active window of the program pinned to the taskbar(quick menu) in the position indicated by the number.

here "Ctrl+Windows logo key+number" started a new instance (of the software in the Quick Menu - Opera as it happens)
Tom
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:04 PM by tomos »

wjamoe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 04:07 PM »
when inside Opera ctrl+win+digit will also switch to the browser tab counting from the left (1 = left most tab)

so maybe another short cut key combination is better, any suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 11:57 PM by wjamoe »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 07:48 AM »

Alt+Windows logo key+number   
  Open the Jump List for the program pinned to the taskbar in the position indicated by the number.

Shift+Windows logo key+number   
  Start a new instance of the program pinned to the taskbar in the position indicated by the number.
so maybe another short cut key combination is better, any suggestions?

getting difficult ... :)
Would Ctrl+Win+Alt+[number] be too complex?
It doesnt seem to do anything here.

Does the Winkey need to be involved?

I tried Ctrl+Shift+Win+[number] but that seems to try to run an admin instance of whatever is in that number place on the taskbar.
Tom

wjamoe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 08:29 AM »
Would Ctrl+Win+Alt+[number] be too complex?
Sure that's possible

I'll try to upload a version this evening (local time now 15:30).

BTW, sorry for the late answer. My PC didn't work, had problems with the BIOS/boot drive, is working again now, backing up drive now, just in case ...  :(

v1.03 ctl+win+alt+<digit> :to change grid increment
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 08:38 AM by wjamoe »

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2016 :Window resize keys (grids X*Y where X,Y = 1 to 5)
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 12:30 PM »
Sounds very much like WinSplit Revolution, which I found when switching from linux (where I used Compiz Grid). Both programs use Ctrl-Alt-NumPad for resizing windows.

Eric

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 01:03 PM »
Instead of the end-of-life-declared WinSplit Revolution, or it's non-free successor MaxTo, I'd opt for the free, DonationCoder based, GridMove

But I think Win_Resize_Keys is none of the above, it only resizes the current window, it doesn't move&resize all windows into predefined areas.

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 01:10 PM »
Instead of the end-of-life-declared WinSplit Revolution, or it's non-free successor MaxTo, I'd opt for the free, DonationCoder based, GridMove

But I think Win_Resize_Keys is none of the above, it only resizes the current window, it doesn't move&resize all windows into predefined areas.
WiinSplit/MaxTo work on a single window, different than GridMove. If I repeatedly hit (for example) Ctrl-Alt-4, the currently-active window fills the left half of the screen, left third, and left two-thirds of the screen.

My point, though, was to offer a hotkey which is apparently available, namely Ctrl-Alt-Numpad.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2015, 11:59 AM »

I haven't forgotten this - will try and get to try it out tonight or tomorrow evening ... it's a hectic time of year :-\

Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2015, 03:34 PM »

hi wjamoe,
distractions are easing now ;-)

It is working a treat on my Win7 (x64) laptop :Thmbsup:
will try it out for a while
Tom

relipse

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I love Jesus. Coding in PHP primarily.
    • View Profile
    • See my GitHub
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2015, 12:18 PM »
Thanks for the script, for some reason i can't get the CTRL + WIN + # to work, but CTRL + WIN + RIGHT/LEFT/UP/DOWN dworked.

Are you going to release the source?
Ex C++Builder coder, current PHP coder, and noob Qt Coder

wjamoe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2015, 01:32 PM »
1) you should try v1.03 it supports ctl+win+alt+<digit> (for download links see a few posts back)

2) maybe