topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: How do you resist buying ever more powerful PCs?  (Read 18967 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How do you resist buying ever more powerful PCs?
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2015, 08:49 PM »
I can't spend any more money for a while because I'm saving for my girl friend's 18th birthday present.

Yeah, I'm 81 years old--gotta problem with that? ;)
;D

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 07:09 AM »
I can't spend any more money for a while because I'm saving for my girl friend's 18th birthday present.

Yeah, I'm 81 years old--gotta problem with that? ;)

Is it the 18th present or the 18th birthday?

But like they say, if you have your health that's the important thing.  Especially with an 18 year old girlfriend.  ;)
Oh and quit braggin;.  :)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 03:55 PM »
I finally splurged on a new PC.  A brand spankin-refurbished Intel Core 2 Duo machine with 4 gigs RAM, 1TB hard drive and a Radeon HD6450 video card; all from Walmart.com for under 200 bucks! (well, it was an overtime paycheck, so we bought 3 of them) 
Oh, she was a beaut... I say "was" because out of the 3 machines we got, mine was the one that went toes-up (I returned it and ordered a replacement as soon as I figured out it was actually broken, and not a fault of the OS).  To be expected, it being a refurb and all, but it IS an upgrade from what I had.  So... NO I didn't resist the temptation, but I DID upgrade to what I could afford.
 :Thmbsup:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 04:10 PM »
I just purchased another new PC.  What?  I don't have problems. >.>

I liked my inspiron 7000, so I'm giving it to my daughter, and getting an XPS 13.

Like I said...

I don't resist.  ;D

:huh:;D

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2015, 04:21 PM »
I can resist buying for me (especially since I used termination pay to pick up an HP 17" with an i7 and 16gb of memory a few years ago), however my daughter's laptop (admittedly a really-cheap Lenovo from a few years ago) now has a broken screen hinge, and my wife has decided that her current laptop (Toshiba 17" screen with an AMD A6) is too big and heavy. I'm looking at various options, hopefully the same unit will work for both of them. I wish someone local had the Lenovo Flex 2 15 that I could actually see, since it has a 1920x1080 display and all the others I'm looking at are 1366x768. I want roughly i5 performance, but my daughter might trade some performance for a touchscreen. Tough choices, but I am going to make them choose so I'm off the hook.  :P
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2015, 01:25 AM »
the Lenovo Flex 2 15 that I could actually see
Well, then thoroughly check out the mouse/track-pad as my Lenovo (y580) has a really crappy one, when pressing one of the 'buttons' the mouse moves because you're touching the touch-pad...
The Full-HD screen is quite good though.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2015, 12:41 PM »
the Lenovo Flex 2 15 that I could actually see
Well, then thoroughly check out the mouse/track-pad as my Lenovo (y580) has a really crappy one, when pressing one of the 'buttons' the mouse moves because you're touching the touch-pad...
The Full-HD screen is quite good though.

Combining touch pad surface and buttons is the bane of my laptop experience. Macs do it decently, but overall I think it's a bad idea done largely in the name of aesthetics. Is it "convenient" to be able to "click anywhere"? Maybe, slightly, but I think it's more *useful* to know exactly where you can click *and not have any chance of moving the cursor*. Not to mention operations like click-and-drag, etc. Clearly the touchpad-as-button paradigm is not the end-all-be-all...

- Oshyan

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2015, 03:06 PM »
Macs do it decently,

Bite your tongue! I had a macbook pro for years, and that touchpad was the bane of my existence!

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2015, 03:53 PM »
Macs do it decently,

Bite your tongue! I had a macbook pro for years, and that touchpad was the bane of my existence!

Eep! Well, in my limited experience they do a better job than most PC laptops, but yes not perfect. The whole idea is just lame though IMO. Macs did it for aesthetics, I'm nearly sure of it (they can argue the one-button vs. two thing all day, but Macs now support right-click, so I thumb my nose at that argument), and like sheep the PC manufacturers followed.

- Oshyan