topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Screenshotcapture 4.12.0 Won't Keep Preferences After Reboot  (Read 4938 times)

Handy1957

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello all,  I have just downloaded the latest Screenshotcapture 4.12.0 and when I first set it up I went through all the preferences so that it would work like I want it to.  But every time I reboot the preferences go back to defaults.

I have done it a few times with the same results.  I made sure to hit apply and then accept.

Any help would be great.

I'm running XP pro SP3
Windows XP Pro. Dell Inspiron 545 2493Mhz Quad core, 8gigs ram, ASUS XONAR DG Sound Card, GeForce 8400 GS 1 GB Graphics Card, Pale Moon v. 25.6.0 Atom XP

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screenshotcapture 4.12.0 Won't Keep Preferences After Reboot
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 12:38 AM »
Hi,
not sure how relevant this is for XP, (but it could be, so worth asking) -
  • Is that the portable or installed version?
  • If portable, where is it located?
Tom

Handy1957

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 12:45 AM »
I downloaded the regular one.  Screenshot - 8_31_2015 , 10_41_51 PM.pngScreenshotcapture 4.12.0 Won't Keep Preferences After Reboot
The Zip is the portable version.  I did not get that one.
Windows XP Pro. Dell Inspiron 545 2493Mhz Quad core, 8gigs ram, ASUS XONAR DG Sound Card, GeForce 8400 GS 1 GB Graphics Card, Pale Moon v. 25.6.0 Atom XP

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 12:55 AM »
Can you try something for me -- if you change some settings and then manually exit the program, and then restart it -- does it save the settings then?
In other words, is it only failing to save changes when the computer reboots, or even if you manually exit the program and restart.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 06:43 AM »
Can you try something for me -- if you change some settings and then manually exit the program, and then restart it -- does it save the settings then?
In other words, is it only failing to save changes when the computer reboots, or even if you manually exit the program and restart.

I know it doesn't save if your computer reboots.  Just never reported it.  But for me, I just exit it and go back in after making changes.

Handy1957

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 12:41 PM »

Ok so yesterday it would not keep the settings no matter what I did.  Today I just checked them and they are what I chose.  Very weird.  I will try your Idea and report back.

Handy1957

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 12:51 PM »
Ok, I figured this out.  Apparently there is a setting in the first window that asks to forget saving settings on log off or restart.  I did not realize when I ticked this that it was asking about the setting the preferences.  I thought it was talking about files that had not been dealt with.  My bad. 

It works fine now. 

Quick question?  Is there a way to just get it to auto save without popping up a window asking me what to do with it?
Never mind.  I figured it out.  Just took a bit.

Thanks all.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 01:04 PM by Handy1957 »

Handy1957

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 03:01 PM »
Does anybody know how to remove this?  I try to close it but it won't go away.  You will notice in the screenshot that my taskbar button shows Screenshot Captor.  Like I have it open in the desktop but I don't.  It's sitting in my taskbar minimized.  Screenshot - 9_1_2015 , 1_04_15 PM.pngScreenshotcapture 4.12.0 Won't Keep Preferences After Reboot

As you can see in the screenshot, it is not open but sitting in my taskbar to the right.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 03:07 PM by Handy1957 »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 03:11 PM »
your original screenshot had me *very* confused :D

Are you sure that preferences are closed?
Did you try right-click and 'Close Window'? (Wouldnt explain why it there, but should get rid of it)
Tom

Handy1957

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 07:15 PM »
I have figured this one out.  It turns out that when you select "Hide after capture" and "auto save" and "auto name" in the setting dialog it does auto save the pic.  But it also keeps an active window open with the "post capture popup" hidden in the task bar.

So I took a screen capture and it automatically saved it to my desktop.  I used it to show you what was going on in the last post.  I then deleted the pic as I did not need it anymore.  But "Screenshot Capture" still had a pop up window of that pic hidden in the task bar.  And when I deleted the pic from my desktop it froze the "pop up" and I could not delete it. 

This brings up an interesting issue that needs to be addressed.  Most folks that select the "hide after capture" option in the settings dialog are not going to realize that there is a pop up hidden in their task bar waiting for their input. 

If the programer is going to give us that kind of option it should include the ability to bypass the "pop up" all together.

Screenhunter does this in a way.  If you capture a image.  It will auto name and save for you.  It will show you a dialog that it indeed did the deed and you simply have to hit the ok button. 

To have a dialog window hidden in the taskbar waiting for a input from the user is a bad idea.  We will simply forget that it is there.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 12:39 PM »
Very interesting.

It sounds like you've found a bug.

The behavior you saw should not happen. The setting to hide after capture should NEVER show a pop-up after capture; it should be completely unobtrusive with nothing popping up.

The real question is why it's happening.  Let me know if you notice any other clues -- is the problem reproducible?

Handy1957

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 05:06 PM »
I will keep an eye on it.  I will do some various screen captures over the next day to see what it does. 

I will let you know.

Handy1957

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 10:14 PM »
Well, it seems to have ironed it's self out I guess.  I cannot repeat the problem. 

Which is of course a good thing. : )