topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DonationCoder Major Upgrades - Progress Report Thread  (Read 115371 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: DonationCoder Major Upgrades - Progress Report Thread
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2015, 04:28 PM »
I've turned off the use of a search index on the search, because the search results were so poor with the index enabled.  Not having wordzilla's custom search code is a shame.

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: September 03, 2015, 10:21 AM »
mouser, I'm note sure if your ignorance of my suggestion means disapproval, or if you're still considering, or if you just did not see it? I'm ok with either but if something in line with what I've suggested would be an idea worth persuing then the community would need some lead time for preparation of such content.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: September 03, 2015, 10:27 AM »
Ok, was searching this thread because I wanted to make a suggestion: how about we come up with some original content to celebrate the switch to a proper cms. Was thinking about stuff like reviews, short stories, new SW, member discounts, whatever.

Do you mean this suggestion Phil?  We are working like mad on the CMS at the moment and I fear mousers brain is close to exploding with everything that needs doing so he may have simply overlooked it :)

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: September 03, 2015, 10:28 AM »
Ok, was searching this thread because I wanted to make a suggestion: how about we come up with some original content to celebrate the switch to a proper cms. Was thinking about stuff like reviews, short stories, new SW, member discounts, whatever.

Do you mean this suggestion Phil?  We are working like mad on the CMS at the moment and I fear mousers brain is close to exploding with everything that needs doing so he may have simply overlooked it :)

Yep, that's the one :Thmbsup:

Thought it would be a shame to have an all shiny and new CMS but only old stuff to put into it  ;)

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: September 03, 2015, 11:10 AM »

Thought it would be a shame to have an all shiny and new CMS but only old stuff to put into it  ;)

One of the aims behind the move to CMS is to make it easier for content writers to be able to upload their articles to the site and have them features in a nice way (Which will also be auto-posted to all the DC Social Network accounts to raise viewership!) so - from my perspective on this...please write as many new articles as you can possibly write!  The more, the merrier! - There are already sections set up in order to accommodate these articles and there will be a help file available for formatting options!

At the moment, work is slowly progressing on the CMS as we bring over all of the current static pages (mousers software pages and such things) - Now that the design stage has been (almost) finalized, that content will be far faster for us to add and the CMS should be here in no time at all!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: September 03, 2015, 11:15 AM »
don't take this one seriously, it was just a thought that entered my mind as i was using the new site...

i need the ability to resize columns manually!!!  silly, i know.  I keep looking at the different unread posts pages and feeling like i wish this were excel and i could drag the column sizes around. 

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: September 03, 2015, 11:22 AM »
At the moment, work is slowly progressing on the CMS as we bring over all of the current static pages (mousers software pages and such things) - Now that the design stage has been (almost) finalized, that content will be far faster for us to add and the CMS should be here in no time at all!

sounds great

One of the aims behind the move to CMS is to make it easier for content writers to be able to upload their articles to the site and have them features in a nice way (Which will also be auto-posted to all the DC Social Network accounts to raise viewership!) so - from my perspective on this...please write as many new articles as you can possibly write!  The more, the merrier! - There are already sections set up in order to accommodate these articles and there will be a help file available for formatting options!

do the sections already have titles?
if so what?
I'm curious what, and how broad or specific they are.

EDIT// never mind :-) see below:
But yeah, if anybody wants updates, wants to offer up a feature suggestion - or other questions about the CMS, feel free to ask and one of us will update as often as we can!

Yes, except for the fact that it's taking all of our concentration to focus on migrating the current pages, so please refrain from deep discussions about big new features and content until we get the old content migrated.
Tom

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: September 03, 2015, 12:16 PM »

Awww.

Naw Phitsc, you put the "shell" / "framework" / "containers" in first, then you fill it with stuff. Then it goes like:
A. Get the stuff you already had, to be sure it doesn't botch-roll-20!
B. Get medium level behind scenes stuff done that no one understands but hates when it breaks
then FINALLY
C. Yay! Add New Shiny Stuff for Magpies!

:)

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: September 04, 2015, 01:51 AM »
I have no problem if you guys do A and B first. What I'm suggesting is that we go live with plenty of C.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: September 04, 2015, 08:05 AM »
I have no problem if you guys do A and B first. What I'm suggesting is that we go live with plenty of C.

Unless someone volunteers to make that content, and to coordinate the making of content, that's a massive effort on top of a massive effort that's already taxing mouser.  So I'd say first things first.  Get the CMS up, get some testing like with the forums, and get it to a stable experience that represents the site.  Then the content can come organically as the tools give more people the ability to create the content.

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2015, 08:49 AM »
I didn't mean to say mouser or Stephen66515 or anyone else working on the technical aspects of the CMS need to come up with new content. I was saying let DC members give DC the gift of new content to celebrate its renewal. I was just suggesting though, not trying to convince anyone. So never mind...

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2015, 09:02 AM »
Although I will answer some points here, could I ask that further discussion about the CMS (specifically the CMS) be moved here: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=41547.0 - That way we don't have fragmented information and I only have to keep an eye on one thread to answer things  ;D

I didn't mean to say mouser or Stephen66515 or anyone else working on the technical aspects of the CMS need to come up with new content. I was saying let DC members give DC the gift of new content to celebrate its renewal. I was just suggesting though, not trying to convince anyone. So never mind...

From my perspective, the more content the DC community can create for us, the better! - If anybody does happen to want to take on the challenge of writing a new review, article, short story or whatever, then PLEASE DO IT!.

Those who DO write content, will have their content placed on the new sections dedicated to this exact thing! - Seriously...adding more pages during this stage is not an issue whatsoever and like phitsc says, it would be a perfect way to celebrate the upgrade!

Unless someone volunteers to make that content, and to coordinate the making of content, that's a massive effort on top of a massive effort that's already taxing mouser.  So I'd say first things first.  Get the CMS up, get some testing like with the forums, and get it to a stable experience that represents the site.  Then the content can come organically as the tools give more people the ability to create the content.

There is no real coordination required in the creation of this content as it could just be a review, a mini-review, a short-story...well....anything really, it honestly doesn't matter...we have the means to now accommodate pretty much anything a content writer wants to submit!

"Then the content can come organically as the tools give more people the ability to create the content." <---- For this, I have to admit the content creation part of things MAY be an issue, BUT if people want to write them before the CMS is live, then they can do so by either doing it in plain-text, or if they have skills as a website designer, they can always just ask for our CSS classes, or even have us style it for them AFTER we get the rest of the stuff that needs doing; done.

"that's a massive effort on top of a massive effort that's already taxing mouser." - A huge amount of that pressure has been lifted off mouser so he can stop being close to a complete and utter nervous breakdown (see here) :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2015, 04:24 AM »
Images are shown in the forum at over 100% size when using [attach=#]. This leads to slightly unfocused images.
See the difference below:

Left side is as posted on dc (viewed in IE, without zoom) -- Right side is the original image in ScreenshotCaptor

Screenshot - 2015-10-23 , 11_15_12.png

Note -- due to the problem in question, you may need to actually save this image and view in a viewer to see the full difference.
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2015, 09:31 AM »
Images are shown in the forum at over 100% size when using [ Invalid Attachment ]. This leads to slightly unfocused images.

Tangentially, will it ever be possible to just paste an image into the editor applet thingy?  It is just so much easier on sites that have this capability.  Control c here then Control v there and it's done.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2015, 11:05 AM »
Images are shown in the forum at over 100% size when using [ Invalid Attachment ]. This leads to slightly unfocused images.

i'll look into and fix asap.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2015, 01:06 PM »
Images are shown in the forum at over 100% size when using... This leads to slightly unfocused images.

Ok i have tried to reproduce and cannot -- I suspect you have your browser set to be zoomed beyond 100%.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2015, 02:57 PM »
Images are shown in the forum at over 100% size when using... This leads to slightly unfocused images.

Ok i have tried to reproduce and cannot -- I suspect you have your browser set to be zoomed beyond 100%.

Well, I checked with PaleMoon, Firefox and IE (which I never use) and checked zoom as well in all three -- so I dont think it is that --
I wonder if it's something with this laptop :-/ I will check on the desktop over the weekend.

EDIT// anyone else seeing this?
Tom

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #142 on: October 24, 2015, 09:11 AM »
Looks fine here in Firefox, Chrome and IE11.

Is your laptop running in high DPI mode, tomos?
- carpe noctem

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #143 on: October 26, 2015, 01:08 AM »
I'm not seeing it either. I'd check your OS "accessibility" (Ease of Access) settings. Make sure you don't have your settings set to increase the size of everything by default.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #144 on: October 26, 2015, 09:46 AM »

Well, I checked with PaleMoon, Firefox and IE (which I never use) and checked zoom as well in all three -- so I dont think it is that --
I wonder if it's something with this laptop :-/ I will check on the desktop over the weekend.

EDIT// anyone else seeing this?

yeah, very odd -- seems to be only that laptop -- will look into it...
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #145 on: October 26, 2015, 10:02 AM »
On a different image-related note:

if I'm not logged in I cannot view the above image (post link):
[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

yet I can see at least some other images while not logged in e.g. here:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=41808.0

Edit -- it seems to be just that image (that cant be seen when logged in) --
there's a hex on my images :-/
;-)
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #146 on: October 26, 2015, 10:04 AM »
You should be able to see all images even without being logged in.
But the error about "[You are not allowed to view attachments ]" sometimes gets displayed in weird situations.

Can you clarify where/when you are seeing that error?

Never mind, I see it -- it seems like a bug in forum, let me try to fix. :mad:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #147 on: October 26, 2015, 10:07 AM »
^ when I'm not logged in, this is what I see for the post above:

Images are shown in the forum at over 100% size when using [attach=#]. This leads to slightly unfocused images.
See the difference below:

Left side is as posted on dc (viewed in IE, without zoom) -- Right side is the original image in ScreenshotCaptor

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Note -- due to the problem in question, you may need to actually save this image and view in a viewer to see the full difference.

image replaced with text...
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #148 on: October 26, 2015, 10:27 AM »
Fixed now?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #149 on: October 26, 2015, 10:33 AM »
Fixed now?

I, too, couldn't see that image when I wasn't logged in. But now I can. So it seems fixed to me. :)