topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Partitioning or Not w. single HDD?  (Read 18036 times)

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Partitioning or Not w. single HDD?
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2015, 01:52 PM »
But a good partition scheme can make a difference in safety and recoverability from disaster.

I fail to see how. In all the years I've been doing this stuff, I've seen machines eaten up with all sorts of failures and maladies. But I've never once ran into a situation where extra partitions would have made a difference. Either the drive is still spinning, or there are valid backups available ... Or the drive stopped dead, the backups don't exist, and the party in question is quite royally screwed.
15-20 years ago, when a hard disk over 80GB was considered huge, my working computer tended to be a tower with 2-3 drives, and I would back up my system disk by imaging the whole drive.

My working computer for the past dozen years has been a small form factor machine with a single much larger drive, currently 2TB.  It is partitioned because I can backup a full image of a 100GB system partition to another partition on the same disk in less than 30 minutes, whereas imaging a 2TB drive, or even a 500GB drive would take many times longer and require an external device.

This means I always have a recent full image backup of my system partition.  It also means I never have to reinstall the OS, since I can simply restore from an image, and since the images are reasonably small (<20GB), I can keep a number of them.

I don't recall the last time I had to replace a system disk because of drive failure.  Probably not since MS-DOS 5.  On the other hand, there have been plenty of times that the easiest way to recover from a software installation gone awry, a possible virus, or just a bad Windows update, has been to restore the last good image of the system partition.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2015, 04:34 PM »
On the other hand, there have been plenty of times that the easiest way to recover from a software installation gone awry, a possible virus, or just a bad Windows update, has been to restore the last good image of the system partition.

this.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2015, 06:02 PM »
On the other hand, there have been plenty of times that the easiest way to recover from a software installation gone awry, a possible virus, or just a bad Windows update, has been to restore the last good image of the system partition.

this.

Now if this were easy to arrange for...

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2015, 05:10 AM »
The software is called Cameyo. Instructions on how to use it are here.

Virtualizing for your own personal use only? Go here.

I came across this today (havent tried either software)
Profile Relocater (last updated in October 2014)

Note (quote):
Please note that this application should ideally be used on new installations of Windows; PR should be used, and then the final profile should be created. See the included documentation for step-by-step information. PR will not move existing profiles as this can be dangerous.
http://software.boot...?id=profilerelocator

via
an old article on lifehacker
Tom