topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Clipboard Help and Spell - New Name?  (Read 12214 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Clipboard Help and Spell - New Name?
« on: April 23, 2015, 12:11 PM »
Few programs have been named by me as poorly as Clipboard Help and Spell, and that's saying something.

Theoretically, if i did want to rename it as this point, but keep the initials CHS, anyone have any suggestions?  Clipboard Helper Service.. Clipboard Helper System.. Anyone?

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Clipboard Help and Spell - New Name?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 12:23 PM »
 :P

Spoiler
Clipboard Hide and Seek

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 05:18 PM »
Can't help, sorry.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 05:20 PM »
Seriously, I'd leave it alone. What about all the existing reviews and so on? Are you going to append to any new name "was Clipboard Help + Spell"?

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 12:39 AM »
CHS - Clipboard History Servant

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 05:42 AM »
Why ?

Even after you rename it something else now, you will find it not properly named after 5 years.

The technology keeps changing, advancing, so a name which looks perfect may seem wrong in few years. When Bill named his company Microsoft, then the micro computers and software was in his mind. Now there is no micro computers as we know and software has become apps. Also we know how people make fun of the name "micro" and "soft".

Even my app Overlap Wallpaper name looks wrong. It should be "Overlap a photo on the desktop Wallpaper" and people have pointed it to me.

My advise : Do not worry. "Clipboard Help and Spell" is not a bad name and it still signifies it purpose. Rest is up to you.

Regards,

Anand

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 02:25 AM »
It is difficult to a find a new name when 'clip' should be in the name. Most of the times, the name has already been taken.
Personally, again... personally, I never felt the name 'Clipboard Help and Spell' really appealing. Mouser, I don't want to offend you!
I felt the name was too long and also the 'Help and Spell'-part, I don't know, the main task is to manage clips in whatever way.

But then again, what does it matter?

As said it is difficult to find a short, unique name with 'clip' or 'clips' in it, also easy to abbreviate.  Clip may also be a video clip.
"MyClips" or "MyClipTools" "MyClipboardTools" "ClipboardTools Pro" "DCClipboard" (MC/MCT/CTP/DCC)  DC=Donation Coder

Think ClipboardTools Pro isn't yet taken.

Drawback of changing name is that CHS has been mentioned and known on many sites.

Ah well... maybe leave it as it is...  :)

=

cytochrome

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 09:14 AM »
CHS: clipboard handler system, clipboard handler service

-Brad
Cheers,
Brad

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 03:41 PM »
My inclination would be to keep the name.  But to refer to it as CHS routinely, to make it less of a mouth full. In that case searches on either CHS or Clipboard Help Spell would pick it right up.

Anyway I am glad you asked.  I read the description more thoroughly.  I didn't realize all the applications it has.  I'm going to try it out.   :Thmbsup:

ToddWC

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 11:52 AM »
If you're not wed to the "CHS" acronym, I have a name idea: Clipboard Conquest.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 07:56 PM »
Seriously, I'd leave it alone. What about all the existing reviews and so on? Are you going to append to any new name "was Clipboard Help + Spell"?

-cranioscopical (April 23, 2015, 05:20 PM)

This.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 01:13 PM »
ToddWC inspired me to think of a catchy name.  How about Magic Spell?

Edit: If you change it to this and get rich I want 5% of the gross.  :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 01:40 PM »
How about Magic Spell?

:D that's a good one :D
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 01:45 PM »
How about Magic Spell?

:D that's a good one :D

I googled it with "Windows software" and the closest was "Spell Magic."  So the name should be open.   :up:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 06:22 AM »
of course you need to give it a new name; you don't even know yourself what the current name is!!!

"Clipboard Help+Spell" "Clipboard Help and Spell - New Name?"
-mouser

So what is it: + or and or & ?
Also, CHS is wrong, should be CH+S.

Windows Clipboard Extender are the proper terms for searching for this type of application - yet no program has this name!

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Windows+Clipboard+Extender%22

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 06:32 AM »
CHS - Clipboard History Savant

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 09:01 AM »
Clipboards Here Stay  :P

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 09:11 AM »
Cash Heuristic Software.   The heuristic is to maximize efficiency.  If you don't pay, nothing happens.  Nearly zero CPU usage.  :)

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 09:35 AM »
I think the word "Help" is confusing in the name.  "Helper" would be an improvement, but "History" would be much better, IMO.

My suggestion would be "Clipboard History+Spellchecker" which would provide a good description of what the program does and why someone would want it.

"Clipboard History+Spell" would be nearly as informative and a little shorter.

exjoburger

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 11:05 AM »
I think the word "Help" is confusing in the name.  "Helper" would be an improvement, but "History" would be much better, IMO.

My suggestion would be "Clipboard History+Spellchecker" which would provide a good description of what the program does and why someone would want it.

"Clipboard History+Spell" would be nearly as informative and a little shorter.

Good suggestion, imo. I use the program very occasionally, and the Clipboard Help part throws me off until I have a look at its main page on DC and remember what it is for.
Then again, being a serial downloader of freeware, I'm often at a loss when looking at older downloads, so I've started to keep a text file with the same name as the download (well, name and version)  containing the original url and description,  plus checksums if they were provided. Any memory aid helps...

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 11:41 AM »
From some of the previous suggestions here would be my choices. Keeping the CHS acronym and getting rid of the + or &.

Clipboard History System or Clipboard Helper System

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Clipboard Help and Spell - New Name? Avoid the NZ approach.
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 06:23 PM »
I wouldn't recommend that you change the name.

I would also suggest that you avoid taking the NZ approach, which is likely to lead to nothing but trouble:
Some time back, the Prime Minister of New Zealand apparently mooted that NZ "needed a new/redesigned flag" or something. From this grew an entire organisation geared to handling this complex and crucially important and vexing matter and canvass NZers about their thoughts (maybe even hold a referendum) - "What sort of flag would you like to see?" kind of questions. There seemed to be no doubt but that "the flag was to be changed", but changed to what? - that was the burning question occupyng our thoughts in every waking moment, and sometimes in our dreams, and sometimes felt in the cockles of our hearts, or maybe even in the sub-cockles.

There were debates/discussions and painting competitions organised in primary and secondary schools to get the children painting pictures of what sort of flag they would like to see. This must have been an unprecedented stimulus to the education system in NZ.
Meanwhile NZ Defence forces were involved as well, with submarines and frigates being commissioned and sent out with a supply of alternative possible flags, to pop up alongside the sunny beaches of the many peaceful island nations near NZ in the Pacific, and there they would display the various flags on top of the sub/frigate and ask "Which ones do you like the most?", and the crews would carefully note the responses. The startled islanders would point out one or two flags, wondering nervously whether they had selected the correct flags and whether an incorrect response on their part might be the trigger for war or a hostile invasion, or some new kind of Haka, for Kiwis are feared worldwide for their dreadfully welcoming Haka.
Some poor souls fainted clean away in terror as the thought occurred to them that by choosing the wrong answer, they might even be obliged to watch a Haka being performed, with their eyes held open by toothpicks, so that they would be unable to avoid seeing the whole terrifyingly dreary spectacle repeated a thousand times in front of them by grossly out-of-condition and badly tattoed Maori native warriors in sweaty grass skirts, or worse.

However, it turns out from a recent opinion survey of NZers (including many who hail from the aforementioned Pacific island nations) that the majority of printable responses generally fall into three categories:
  • 1. Who the heck cares?
  • 2. What does it matter?
  • 3. There are more pressing matters to address.

Incidentally, of the two  rhetorical responses, the latter famously echoes Hilary Clinton, so is not to be sniffed at.

The third response came from a group who felt that the whole flag thing was a silly and harmless diversion to take public attention away from more serious matters that the NZ government was - or was not - addressing.
Some examples were, in order of priority:
  • getting the Aussies to finally apologise for their underarm bowling and give their undeserved cricketing title to the Kiwis like an honest bloke should.
  • getting the Frogs to finally apologise and make full and formal reparations to New Zealand - and GreenPeace - for Mitterand's having authorised French government forces to commit an act of terrorism, blowing up the GreenPeace ship the Rainbow Warrior as she lay at rest in an Auckland harbour, killing one man on board and causing injury to another/others, and where the perpetrators were subsequently rewarded by being allowed free and promoted by the French government and put on fat pensions.
  • getting the Frogs to finally apologise for threatening the NZ PM with massive and disastrous economic sanctions if he didn't shut up about the matter and release those terrorists he had captured (the PM caved - he had to).
  • hold a referendum on what NZ's role should be in the proxy war being played out in the Middle East, and especially in Syria, between Russia and its allies, and the US and its allies, and how NZ should work to halt the massive tide of death and human misery this proxy war has caused, which now finds Syria even having to make the first ever withdrawal from the Arctic "Seed Doomesday Bank". If this isn't a theatrical political gesture, then it is Z59.5 (WHO disease number for Poverty) in action, and it is apparently human-caused.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 09:33 PM »
Can't help, sorry  ;)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2015, 12:07 AM »
CIM - Clipboard Information Manager.
CDT - Clipboard Database Toolset/Tools.
You could stick an "M" on the front of those, for "Mouser's".

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2015, 02:11 AM »
Can't help, sorry  ;)

At last a useful suggestion. ;D

I'd like to confirm that just keeping the CHS acronym sounds like the best way to go, there is virtually no marketing budget, so no room for smartass marketeers to find overpriced and still useless new names or logos. :up: