topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 9:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: My computer is haunted?  (Read 3120 times)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My computer is haunted?
« on: March 20, 2015, 08:44 PM »
Today out of the blue I had random keys appearing anywhere there was a place to type anything.  I have USB keyboard and mouse.  Changed all of them out for a different known working ones, but it still did it.  I shut down several times to no avail.  Booted into safe mode and it still did it.

After googling the problem, I found everyone was recommending the keyboard repeat rate.  even though I set it slower without success.

I finally tried a PS/2 keyboard and now it works just like it should.

The big question is why did it start in the first place?
I had not installed anything before this.

I'm stumped  :wallbash:

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: My computer is haunted?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 11:01 PM »
Worst case scenario: your USB ports could be fried. You will need to buy either a PCI expansion card supporting multiple USB ports or a new new mainboard.

Less worst case scenario: the drivers for your USB ports are broken. Removing and re-installing your USB drivers would be the best solution. More often than not, USB 3.0 ports need specific drivers which are usually found on the installation media that comes with the mainboard. And if you misplaced the installation media, you likely can find these drivers on the manufacturers website as well.

Are you sure that the mainboard is supplied sufficient amounts of "juice"? All kinds of (very) vague and seemingly unrelated problems can occur when your power supply isn't capable anymore to deliver the +12, +5, -5 and GND required by your mainboard. You could try to use a different power supply and check if the errors still occur when connecting the USB keyboards again. A high quality power supply really makes a difference, but often people fit their PC with a cheap model power supply, so they can spend more on a (more) decent video card or SSD or whatever.

If you as builder of your own system can "save" a lot of money this way, guess where a manufacturer of pre-built consumer-grade PC's will spend as little as possible. And if these manufacturers move systems in bulk that really adds up.

Here in Paraguay you don't have much choice, but since I have been using Corsair power supplies (and the occasional OCZ) I spent much less time on workstation maintenance. 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 11:07 PM »
Following up on Shades theories -- did you try plugging the keyboard into different usb ports?
Maybe even try a (powered) usb hub if you have one.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 01:25 PM »
You have someone remoting into your PC, playing a trick on you. :P

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 01:38 PM »
Holy water. Totally holy water! Dump a few gallons of holy water on the machine and everything will be gone! Guaranteed!  :Thmbsup:

If not... then a cross... usually in the form of a large sword. Plunge that through the machine. (With the electricity disconnected.)

Other than that, I got nothin'. :(
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker