topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: everyday life revolution  (Read 9309 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
everyday life revolution
« on: January 26, 2015, 08:28 AM »
hello

technology has increased dramatically, but we haven't experienced it in everyday life's little inconveniences

one thing I am really bored of, is the shower

it's repetitive, waste of time, inconvenient and tedious, etc

how many times your soap dropped, how many times you were burnt or freezed to adjust the water temperature, how many minutes you spend each week to do that totally nonsense task

I am thinking of a device, that you just take off your clothes, and stand with your legs opened and with your hands in 90 degree (as davinci's human)
then it will scan your body and embrace you accordingly
it will heat you up to a specific temperature
it will water you with the correct temperature
it will shower you and massage you
then it will wash you off the soap
and will heat and dry you
all these with perfect accuracy, so that you will be 100% clean, and within seconds!!!!

then all you have to do is to go out of the bathroom and put your clothes
no freezing after getting out of the bathroom, no water running, no being wet and your clothes stick on you
the whole process can take less than 60 seconds!
wouldn't it be amazing?

clean and fresh in 30 seconds!
revolution!

I imagine the same with your teeth, you put the device in your mouth and it 30 seconds you have fresh teeth!

what do you think?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: everyday life revolution
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 08:56 AM »
Um...there are some "business establishments" on the fringes of the 'hospitality' industry that will do just that for you. For a small fee of course. :P

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 09:21 AM »
I think you've pretty much covered this topic between home automation, and ideas that will change society.

With your enthusiasm for the topic(s), you may be someone who gets involved in somehow 'changing the world'. Maybe you will also find some enthusiasm here, but looking at those threads again, I suspect not.
Tom

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 09:33 AM »
My mindset is the exact opposite of yours and I am willing to bet that your views are in the vast minority.  I think life would get pretty damn monotonous (not to mention invasive) if little things like personal hygiene were done for us on a scale you describe.  I rather enjoy taking a hot shower and don't see it as a wasteful inconvenience.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 11:15 AM »
I rather enjoy taking a hot shower and don't see it as a wasteful inconvenience.

Agree. I enjoy a shower too. And on a few particularly bad days I've experienced recently, that morning shower was the high point of the day. :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 11:51 AM »
Um...there are some "business establishments" on the fringes of the 'hospitality' industry that will do just that for you. For a small fee of course. :P

Hay man, let'em get the thing to market. Then we can make a killing selling software patch/add-ons that slowdown that 30 second "shower" massage so it takes -(Ya Know)- long enough.. :D

Behold ... The all new Kohler Happy-Ending 5!

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 01:54 PM »
You will find better things to enjoy, plus my machine will do the best massage! In all your body at the same time! And it will have the option to extend it but I am sure you will have better things to do!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 02:35 PM »
You will find better things to enjoy...

Could you give me some examples? I'm actually curious about what you have in mind. :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 03:06 PM »
 ;D :up:
I don't mind the shower so much (I love showering, lol!)...give me the machine that irons dress shirts.  That will be the greatest invention since the washer/dryer.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 04:53 PM »
example: to code! :p

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 05:29 PM »
example: to code! :p

I don't any more. What else? ;D

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 01:18 PM »
come on guys
isn't there any reasearch how much of our life we spend on commuting, showering, preparing food, laundring, cleaning?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 01:44 PM »
isn't there any reasearch how much of our life we spend on commuting, showering, preparing food, laundring, cleaning?

I'm sure there is loads of research about that stuff but I couldn't care less about it.

Regarding most of the items in your list, there are already "automated" options.  Commuting?  Take public transportation if you don't like driving or find a job that allows you to telecommute.  Preparing food?  Some folks love to cook.  If you don't, I'm sure there are plenty of restaurants around you that would be happy to take your money and provide you a meal.  Or, hire an in-house chef.  Laundry?  Same, take your stuff to the cleaners and have them do it for you.  Cleaning?  Hire a cleaning service.  Of course, all this stuff will cost you money but if you think that it wouldn't just because you want it "automated," you're being very naïve.  Don't kid yourself.  Everything costs something somewhere.

At any rate, if you automate all aspects of your life, what do you have left?  Not much.  That's what.  And, if you say something like, "Just automate the mundane things in life so you have more time for the fun things," I would tell you that that just goes hand-in-hand with the "immediate gratification" paradigm that we see more and more in the world (especially with the younger generation).  It's not healthy, in my opinion.  I'd rather feel like I've earned my so-called fun time by taking care of the mundane things that need to be taken care of.  That's called delayed gratification and I find that a much healthier paradigm (especially for children).  My wife and I aren't afraid to tell our daughters no and make them earn their fun time via chores, getting homework done first, etc.  This is the essence of delayed gratification and I fully expect the same of myself, too.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 02:34 PM »
At any rate, if you automate all aspects of your life, what do you have left?  Not much.  That's what.  And, if you say something like, "Just automate the mundane things in life so you have more time for the fun things," I would tell you that that just goes hand-in-hand with the "immediate gratification" paradigm that we see more and more in the world (especially with the younger generation).  It's not healthy, in my opinion.  I'd rather feel like I've earned my so-called fun time by taking care of the mundane things that need to be taken care of.  That's called delayed gratification and I find that a much healthier paradigm (especially for children).

^this - Bravo!!  :Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 04:36 PM »
At any rate, if you automate all aspects of your life, what do you have left?  Not much.  That's what.  And, if you say something like, "Just automate the mundane things in life so you have more time for the fun things," I would tell you that that just goes hand-in-hand with the "immediate gratification" paradigm that we see more and more in the world (especially with the younger generation).  It's not healthy, in my opinion.  I'd rather feel like I've earned my so-called fun time by taking care of the mundane things that need to be taken care of.  That's called delayed gratification and I find that a much healthier paradigm (especially for children).

^this - Bravo!!  :Thmbsup:
There was a time in my life where computers, automation, programming, etc. was considered uber-nerd activity, wouldn't get any girls, the opposite of jocks.  So if you were into those things, you kept it on the down low and did your best to emphasize your more muscular activities such as auto repair, sports, berating people, etc. The muscular community would often tote the delayed gratification line to emphasize the negative aspects of the nerd world, thus proving the wonderful qualities of their slower, mundane methods.

Then the iphone came out and it was soooo cool.  Fascination with numbers and statistics soon followed in the previously muscular community.  Now that these things were considered hip and profitable, the musculars need to adopt it somehow.  So they start implementing these previously undesireable things in their lives.  Statistics start flying around a lot.  Proofs and "facts" and "truths" become subjects of normal conversation.  but they are not trained in these affairs.  However, they are skilled in rhetoric and berating from the previous era's practices.  So they berate the public with these newfound ideas, incorrectly.  Now, we are all caught up in this transitional period.  Assholes trying to be nerds; nerds trying to be assholes.  Oy.  And it all has to do with this internet; the great equalizer.  It sure is getting harder to keep secrets now, is that good...bad?  I dunno, but it is.  My personal hope is that it becomes harder to be an asshole and everyone can be a nerd in whatever category they are inclined towards.  But who knows...it can also lead to a new breed of uber, ebola resistant assholes.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 04:53 PM »
^O_o I've never been a jock, or a nerd, I'm just a guy ... That can be an asshole. But the instant gratification thing is true. People are getting to used to having things too easily at their fingertips...and it's making people over all dumber ... Because nobody needs to bother to work at anything anymore.

Some of the best experiences in life can be had during the course of seemingly mundane activities if they're done with a bit of creativity...and the right people. People that you would otherwise never have encountered if the activity had been removed by some form automation.

Yes kalos seems to keep running into the grouchy old peoples club with his new fangled ideas. But that's ok, as is his desire to try. Not all ideas work for all people,. and eventually he may just come up with a winner. A wise man once told me that if you don't make a few mistakes (/fail) now and then...then you're obviously not trying very hard. Kalos is (to me) obviously trying...and that's a good thing.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 05:24 PM »
There was a time in my life where computers, automation, programming, etc. was considered uber-nerd activity, wouldn't get any girls, the opposite of jocks.

I was quite the freak in school, it seems:

• Leader of the computer club (Pascal, FTW) (nerd)
  • High-ranking member of the Air Force JROTC squadron (nerd-ish)
  • Captain of back-to-back state championship hockey teams (jock).

Still programming...and still playing hockey...at age 41.  Love it.   ;D  (Air Force career didn't work out...was denied entry due to migraines.  >:()

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 05:32 PM »
There was a time in my life where computers, automation, programming, etc. was considered uber-nerd activity, wouldn't get any girls, the opposite of jocks.

I was quite the freak in school, it seems: leader of the computer club (Pascal, FTW) (nerd), high-ranking member of the Air Force JROTC squadron (nerd-ish), and captain of back-to-back state championship hockey teams (jock).   :P

Still programming...and still playing hockey...at age 41.  Love it.
I love it!  You are ahead of your time!  I was friendly with the Air Force ROTC ladies...I didn't realize it was nerd-ish.  I thought I was jocking it up!  But now that you bring it up, they were more nerdy than the Army folk.  But seriously, your life balance is admirable, especially being familiar with your programming work.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 05:33 PM »
Yes kalos seems to keep running into the grouchy old peoples club with his new fangled ideas. But that's ok, as is his desire to try. Not all ideas work for all people,. and eventually he may just come up with a winner. A wise man once told me that if you don't make a few mistakes (/fail) now and then...then you're obviously not trying very hard. Kalos is (to me) obviously trying...and that's a good thing.

Absolutely. I don't think anybody is trying to discourage him. We're just being frank. Like a marketing focus group would be. And I'm sure it is being taken in the spirit with which it's given. The nice thing about DoCo is that you can be almost certain any criticisms or disagreements a member receives in the forum aren't being motivated by malice or lack of respect. Quite the contrary. The rare person who isn't respected most often gets no response at all.
 :)