ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

everyday life revolution

<< < (3/4) > >>

40hz:
example: to code! :p

-kalos (January 26, 2015, 04:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't any more. What else? ;D

kalos:
come on guys
isn't there any reasearch how much of our life we spend on commuting, showering, preparing food, laundring, cleaning?

skwire:
isn't there any reasearch how much of our life we spend on commuting, showering, preparing food, laundring, cleaning?-kalos (January 29, 2015, 01:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm sure there is loads of research about that stuff but I couldn't care less about it.

Regarding most of the items in your list, there are already "automated" options.  Commuting?  Take public transportation if you don't like driving or find a job that allows you to telecommute.  Preparing food?  Some folks love to cook.  If you don't, I'm sure there are plenty of restaurants around you that would be happy to take your money and provide you a meal.  Or, hire an in-house chef.  Laundry?  Same, take your stuff to the cleaners and have them do it for you.  Cleaning?  Hire a cleaning service.  Of course, all this stuff will cost you money but if you think that it wouldn't just because you want it "automated," you're being very naïve.  Don't kid yourself.  Everything costs something somewhere.

At any rate, if you automate all aspects of your life, what do you have left?  Not much.  That's what.  And, if you say something like, "Just automate the mundane things in life so you have more time for the fun things," I would tell you that that just goes hand-in-hand with the "immediate gratification" paradigm that we see more and more in the world (especially with the younger generation).  It's not healthy, in my opinion.  I'd rather feel like I've earned my so-called fun time by taking care of the mundane things that need to be taken care of.  That's called delayed gratification and I find that a much healthier paradigm (especially for children).  My wife and I aren't afraid to tell our daughters no and make them earn their fun time via chores, getting homework done first, etc.  This is the essence of delayed gratification and I fully expect the same of myself, too.

Stoic Joker:
At any rate, if you automate all aspects of your life, what do you have left?  Not much.  That's what.  And, if you say something like, "Just automate the mundane things in life so you have more time for the fun things," I would tell you that that just goes hand-in-hand with the "immediate gratification" paradigm that we see more and more in the world (especially with the younger generation).  It's not healthy, in my opinion.  I'd rather feel like I've earned my so-called fun time by taking care of the mundane things that need to be taken care of.  That's called delayed gratification and I find that a much healthier paradigm (especially for children).-skwire (January 29, 2015, 01:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

^this - Bravo!!  :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
At any rate, if you automate all aspects of your life, what do you have left?  Not much.  That's what.  And, if you say something like, "Just automate the mundane things in life so you have more time for the fun things," I would tell you that that just goes hand-in-hand with the "immediate gratification" paradigm that we see more and more in the world (especially with the younger generation).  It's not healthy, in my opinion.  I'd rather feel like I've earned my so-called fun time by taking care of the mundane things that need to be taken care of.  That's called delayed gratification and I find that a much healthier paradigm (especially for children).-skwire (January 29, 2015, 01:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

^this - Bravo!!  :Thmbsup:
-Stoic Joker (January 29, 2015, 02:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
There was a time in my life where computers, automation, programming, etc. was considered uber-nerd activity, wouldn't get any girls, the opposite of jocks.  So if you were into those things, you kept it on the down low and did your best to emphasize your more muscular activities such as auto repair, sports, berating people, etc. The muscular community would often tote the delayed gratification line to emphasize the negative aspects of the nerd world, thus proving the wonderful qualities of their slower, mundane methods.

Then the iphone came out and it was soooo cool.  Fascination with numbers and statistics soon followed in the previously muscular community.  Now that these things were considered hip and profitable, the musculars need to adopt it somehow.  So they start implementing these previously undesireable things in their lives.  Statistics start flying around a lot.  Proofs and "facts" and "truths" become subjects of normal conversation.  but they are not trained in these affairs.  However, they are skilled in rhetoric and berating from the previous era's practices.  So they berate the public with these newfound ideas, incorrectly.  Now, we are all caught up in this transitional period.  Assholes trying to be nerds; nerds trying to be assholes.  Oy.  And it all has to do with this internet; the great equalizer.  It sure is getting harder to keep secrets now, is that good...bad?  I dunno, but it is.  My personal hope is that it becomes harder to be an asshole and everyone can be a nerd in whatever category they are inclined towards.  But who knows...it can also lead to a new breed of uber, ebola resistant assholes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version