topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: chrome browser is so nasty  (Read 9849 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
chrome browser is so nasty
« on: January 19, 2015, 11:59 AM »
hello!

I use a portable installation of chrome and as I browse, it suddently installs a shortcut in the pinpointed area in my taskbar!

I delete it, and it keeps doing that!

what can I do?

thanks!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: chrome browser is so nasty
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 12:16 PM »
Use a different browser - isn't there a 'cleaned' version of Chrome?
=> SRWare Iron browser:
http://www.srware.ne...ware_srware_iron.php

Portable apps has a portable version, there may be others.
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 02:45 PM »
At least Chrome sufficiently satisfies the DRM demons enough to allow Linux users to watch Netflix without having to resort to all sorts of Pipelight and agent switching shenanigans. ;D

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 03:09 PM »
Try to get rid of Google Update after you install Chrome. No, uninstalling Chrome won't help. Removing it from the sequence of software items that Windows starts during it's own start-up, proved to be more nasty than previously thought. Sure you can disable or delete it with 'autoruns' (outstanding systinternals tool), but after Windows reboots you have a second google update entry that is active. Rinse and repeat...

A virus behaves practically the same.

So no Chrome for me. Ever. The portable SRW Iron browser is much better/friendlier in that respect. Opera browsers now-a-days use the webkit engine as well, so you might want to look into that as well. PortableApps website offers(very) recent Opera browsers. Personally, I prefer that over SRW Iron now. Although (portable) SRW Iron is no slouch, (portable) Opera is faster. 

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 03:26 PM »
man, how do I get rid of it, if uninstalling chrome doesn't do it?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 04:25 PM »
There's also Comodo Chromium Secure and Dragon, both based on Chrome - and IceDragon based on Firefox.

Dragon and IceDragon don't require third-party packaging for a portable installation, just select the option using the normal installer.  With (Ice)Dragon you also have the option to use Comodo's SecureDNS servers, (either for the application, the whole computer, or not at all).

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 06:01 PM »
I used chromium snapshots on Windows for a couple of years.  It was pretty well-behaved.  Best method is to download the win32 zip.  Even though these are snapshots many are quite stable.  The trick is, when you get one that runs well, back up the settings/profile folder and the one the executable is in, before trying a newer version.  The reason is, if a newer version introduces a new variable, then you run an older version without restoring the profile, it will give an error about unknown or corrupted data in the profile.

Chromium worked well for me.  The main reason I went back to Firefox is I missed certain AddOns.  Here's the link to the snapshot list:

http://commondatasto...index.html?path=Win/

Afa getting rid of old settings one thing you can try after uninstalling is run CCleaner Registry clean and fix all issues.  Make sure to save the backup as offered before fixing.  I think I only had one build of CCleaner that had a Registry Cleaner bug but it's a good precaution to save the reg file.

(I'm assuming you are talking the Windows version of chrome browser.)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 07:25 PM »
Sure you can disable or delete it with 'autoruns' (outstanding systinternals tool), but after Windows reboots you have a second google update entry that is active. Rinse and repeat...

Perhaps try:

Code: Text [Select]
  1. sc stop gupdate
  2. sc stop gupdatem
  3. sc delete gupdate
  4. sc delete gupdatem

Seemed to do the trick here, (was installed by Google Earth plugin).

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 07:54 PM »
Didn't bother at the time I was lulled into trying Chrome...then I needed to do a test with Server 2012. Another hard disk was installed and I've booting from that OS ever since.

Still the fact that it wouldn't listen to my (I think not so unreasonable) request to no not start at start-up, was enough for me to not want Chrome at all.

Only at my own behest I will apply updates (which is usually not too long after they come out), because I don't need or want the mess auto-updates can generate. Especially with my sometimes extravagant/unorthodox/bull-headed way of setting up things.

If Chrome works for you, by all means be happy with it. It isn't a bad browser at all. For me, the major turn-off is just the behavior of the baggage that comes along with it.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 10:27 PM »
If Chrome works for you, by all means be happy with it. It isn't a bad browser at all.

I don't use it because of all the "We're watching you" stuff it comes with, just pointing out anything associated with Google, (Picasa, Google Earth, etc), is going to install that updater service.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 03:09 PM »
If Chrome works for you, by all means be happy with it. It isn't a bad browser at all.

I don't use it because of all the "We're watching you" stuff it comes with, just pointing out anything associated with Google, (Picasa, Google Earth, etc), is going to install that updater service.

Supposedly the chromium open source version has the monitoring removed or can be neutralized with about:config or command line switches.  I've been back with Firefox for awhile so this could have changed somewhat.  I was more concerned about the number of processes.  It seemed to like to launch something around the number of open tabs plus 4.  But there is a command line switch to set the max.  It seemed to run just as well for me with 1/2 dozen instances as 12.  But I don't put that much of a load on browsers.

I think of all the chrome variants chromium is most likely to have the monitoring stuff pointed out by users as some compile it themselves and look through the code.  Also there's an active discussion mailing list.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 02:52 PM »
I just started playing with IceDragon.  very fast.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 03:48 PM »
I just started playing with IceDragon.  very fast.

Seems worth a look.  Installing in "portable mode" is described here:
https://help.comodo....169-1-413-4903-.html

Once set up copy the program folder to USB as all the settings etc. are self contained.

Edit:  Windows versions after XP seem touchier about programs altering files under Program Files.  If access denied errors pop up it might be solved by taking ownership of the folder, if you are on a single user system.

Edit2:  The other detail of note is the FF version is 26.x.  I'm downloading now.  With the built in virus scan it might be a nice addition for a USB toolkit.

Edit3:  So far not so good. I installed in Portable Mode.  Even after a reboot I get "Ice Dragon is already running but not responding." It doesn't show in Task Manager.  Something is busted.  :)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 04:28 PM by MilesAhead »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 05:45 PM »
Edit3:  So far not so good. I installed in Portable Mode.  Even after a reboot I get "Ice Dragon is already running but not responding." It doesn't show in Task Manager.  Something is busted.

At least you got an error message ... Mine won't even do that. :(

I also went portable on Win7 x64 Pro. Moved portable folder to location w/o permissions issues, and still no dice.

Maybe TD meant he played with it fast, because it wouldn't start.. :D

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 06:10 PM »
It's running fine here; installed in portable mode, did not select SecureDNS, and then ran it, (typing in it now) - Win8.1Pro x86

Just copied the entire folder to WHS2011 (x64) and it ran fine also.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 07:26 PM »
Hm... I'm not using SecureDNS either. Miles?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 05:26 AM »
Hm... I'm not using SecureDNS either. Miles?

I took it off.  Seems like a lot of work to use a v. 26 FF derivative.  What I'm trying to figure out is why every time I install a new FF it is responsive for about a week.  Then it bogs when clicking in pages.  The only thing fast is clicking links.  Kind of bizarre.  It seems to happen on every FF derivative as well as FF releases.  I didn't wait this long for clicks to propagate on my 486 with dial up.

Edit:  I removed FVD SpeedDial.  See how it goes.

On the Commodo, it seems like I've never had good luck with any kin of AV tool.  MBAM is about it.  :)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 05:35 AM by MilesAhead »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 06:58 AM »
Runs fine here at the office on Win8.1 Pro x64 *Shrug* ...I'm thinking it's a .NET thing (I don't have 4 at home).