topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: TreeDBNotes Pro - Christmas and New Year Discount: 50%  (Read 17648 times)

Ennovy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TreeDBNotes Pro - Christmas and New Year Discount: 50%
« on: December 14, 2014, 09:01 AM »
You can now buy this great notes manager / PIM with 50% discount.
The Pro version for only $ 17.47

Look at this site

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: TreeDBNotes Pro - Christmas and New Year Discount: 50%
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 10:45 PM »
Hey, I've always liked this program, even when using alternatives like RightNote.  I just never sprang for a full pro license.
I'm going to get a license.  Maybe get back into one PIM, like in the old Time & Chaos days.  (This is more Pimmable than
Rightnote.)

Thanks!  

======================

Ooops. The coupon code is a mystery.

======================

Grace and peace in the new year,
Steven
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:55 PM by Steven Avery »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 12:59 AM »

I have to say, this was one of my finalists in my big notes search a couple of years ago. However, in the versions at the time, I ran into a deadly bug that severely damaged the structure of the tree!

Also, they used to have a forum, and then they took it down in favor of a "blind" support form submitter. So I cannot recommend this program!

My replacement that does almost the same thing is MyInfo.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 03:48 PM »
I ran into a deadly bug that severely damaged the structure of the tree! [...] So I cannot recommend this program!
What was their response when you reported the bug?

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 02:47 AM »
And I don't think they responded to my inquiry about why the discount price did not show.

It seems that the program lacks a calendar, keeping it out of the possibility of being the elusive note program that functions as a full PIM.

============

TreeDBNote  "TreeDBNotes Pro is a universal information manager including a notes manager, contact manager, password manager and task manager, as well as a calendar, alarm clock, reminders, and many other useful features (attachments, screen capture, clipboard monitor, scratch pad, portable notes manager)."

Anybody see the calendar?
not that little history thing?

=============

RightNote - nothing (to be fair, a fine program, it is simply note-centric).

InfoQube - looks like it has new limited calendar
http://www.sqlnotes....ndex.php?q=node/1215

Mybase - very weak on pics to tell

MyInfo - "Calendar View"

============

Or do you have to go to an Outlook-style PIM or a Calendar program to try to get that?
Even though these are all weak on notes and/or database.

Vueminder for the calendar is always a thought.  (yes, forum)

Pimero from Germany (worth a look)
Time & Chaos  (TX, USA - long and interesting PIM history. Is the email in Intellect anything, does it go back to Courier enhanced?)
And the various Outlook clones. (Essential WinPim Efficient -China)

(generally no forums in this last genre)

Steven
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 03:21 AM by Steven Avery »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 05:45 AM »
InfoQube - looks like it has new limited calendar
http://www.sqlnotes....ndex.php?q=node/1215

Calendar is functional (disclaimer: dont use it myself). Planned is sync with google calendar - that'll be a big boost for it, dont know when exactly that's due though (was expecting it to be 2014, so hopefully will be soon).
Tom
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 11:39 AM by tomos, Reason: corrected the clipped quote »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 06:54 AM »

TreeDBNotes

Anybody see the calendar?
not that little history thing?

I've always assumed it's the view you get in Tools>Alarms & Reminders (Alt F5).
I think you could describe it as a calendar.

Since the closure of the Forum and the slowdown in updates, I keep trying to switch but carry on using it for a lot of things because I find it does a lot of things I want very well.

BUT I've never regarded it as a PIM or a data storage program and I use VueMinder as my calendar.
I mostly use it for writing.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 10:31 AM »
I ran into a deadly bug that severely damaged the structure of the tree! [...] So I cannot recommend this program!

None.

This is a note I sent 1.5 years ago when both the forum vanished and it was my second attempt trying to report the bug.

------------------------------------------------------------
        me
        May 5, 2013

To

[email protected]

CC

[email protected]

Feedback form
Your Name:     TaoPhoenix
Your Email:     [email protected]
Subject:     Is TreeDBNotes still being developed?
Message:     Hello. The forum vanished, and I think I sent a bug report a while back. There's a nasty bug involving shifting the folder levels. Please reply to me at [email protected]
Security Code:     110283
Send Email OK.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Not counting other programs from my survey, TreeDB at the time was my winner, because of a certain web export feature on top of other basic features, and *at the time* it had a forum for support. Then the forum vanished, taking thousands of posts with it, into a very generic "web form", and I never heard from them again. So, other people are reporting in about the lack of responses.

Dormouse, I'm particularly interested in chatting with you a bit to see what it's doing for you, and I'm fascinated if you could peek at MyInfo because it became my "replacement winner" once TreeDB self destructed both structurally and with the forum. I found it to be surprisingly close and I think it could be a replacement for you, with a better overall experience if you, as you say, "just use it for writing".

Also the MyInfo dev also responds by email for specific questions, and according to my email, he just posted a new update on Dec 11. (Modest bugfix update, but apparently it can also now auto-lookup new versions...)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 10:39 AM by TaoPhoenix »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 02:38 PM »
None. [...]
Ugh.  That gives me no confidence in the program.  One for shelfware at best.  Are they a one-man-band on a hobby project that didn't generate enough income to warrant, or enable, support?

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 03:00 PM »
It seems that the program lacks a calendar, keeping it out of the possibility of being the elusive note program that functions as a full PIM.
[...]
============
Or do you have to go to an Outlook-style PIM or a Calendar program to try to get that?
Even though these are all weak on notes and/or database.
Astonsoft's EssentialPIM (EPIM) didn't float your boat?  I'm wondering whether it's now more future-proof and versatile than some others, because Astonsoft offer not only standard and portable versions for the PC, including free versions, but compatible versions for Android and iOS.  Given the popularity of smartphones and tablets, that looks a sound move.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 05:48 AM »
Dormouse, I'm particularly interested in chatting with you a bit to see what it's doing for you, and I'm fascinated if you could peek at MyInfo because it became my "replacement winner" once TreeDB self destructed both structurally and with the forum. I found it to be surprisingly close and I think it could be a replacement for you, with a better overall experience if you, as you say, "just use it for writing".

Also the MyInfo dev also responds by email for specific questions, and according to my email, he just posted a new update on Dec 11. (Modest bugfix update, but apparently it can also now auto-lookup new versions...)

Hi,

I briefly trialled MyInfo some time ago (6.17) and didn't take to it. I'll have another look when 7 eventually comes out, but I don't think it is likely to offer an environment that is comfortable for me to work in. Features and functionality are good, but I find, for writing, that comfort in the "environment" makes the most difference to productivity.

What I like about TreeDBNotes for writing is the very full toolbar (I have all options open - and the styles at the bottom), the extensive right click menu, and the ability to write/edit in a pop out without all the PIM clutter. This gives it a strong multipurpose value for me.

I have a very extensive collection of programs I use for writing - on all platforms. None are remotely ideal, and I tend to use the one that is best suited to the task and situation at the time. And I don't see much development anywhere.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 09:23 AM »
None. [...]
Ugh.  That gives me no confidence in the program.  One for shelfware at best.  Are they a one-man-band on a hobby project that didn't generate enough income to warrant, or enable, support?

Well, I think unfortunately it's more complicated than that.

They *used to have* a decent forum that the dev (and users) could converse in, and the dev did answer questions with modest delays.

Then the warning bells went off when they didn't just "freeze" the forum, but *nuked it* and replaced it with this blind suspicious form that doesn't get answered.

See, you guys are programmers. If you were struggling with a project, you would have found any of several desperate ways to handle it, from "sorry, this forum is legacy and new updates will be very sparse", or in the form, "your bug note has been received, however, we have to cut back on our support resources" or something.

But this big switch to a form that basically goes nowhere, was beyond a ref flag, it was like dumping a bucket of red paint on the bull, because there might not be anyone at all doing support, and some cheap marketing outfit might have a legacy program and is trying to squeeze a few more nickels out of new ... uh ... people.

And it wasn't just an annoying little bug, it was a nuclear grade one that damaged the entire structure of the note tree!

:tellme:  >:(

So though I used to like them, if you then change owners and but the best plasma cannon Star Trek credits can buy and point it at your face, then ... well ... I have to pick a new program!

Let's try it this way:
This sad-rant started because Mr. Ennovy posted  "grade D ad" ... and never read the thread ever again.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 09:30 AM »

Hi,

I briefly trialled MyInfo some time ago (6.17) and didn't take to it. I'll have another look when 7 eventually comes out, but I don't think it is likely to offer an environment that is comfortable for me to work in. Features and functionality are good, but I find, for writing, that comfort in the "environment" makes the most difference to productivity.

What I like about TreeDBNotes for writing is the very full toolbar (I have all options open - and the styles at the bottom), the extensive right click menu, and the ability to write/edit in a pop out without all the PIM clutter. This gives it a strong multipurpose value for me.

I have a very extensive collection of programs I use for writing - on all platforms. None are remotely ideal, and I tend to use the one that is best suited to the task and situation at the time. And I don't see much development anywhere.

Completely fair. Some of all that was the reason why it won my personal survey in the first place. But re-phrased from elsewhere in the thread, I want to warn you that the bug I ran into, was that suppose you make a note element in your writing, then you decide to move some of them around. TreeDB wasn't keeping the moved new structure, and instead dropping semi-random nodes back where they started, so just when you thought you had a new structure, it ends up a garbled mess!

:tellme:

So upon thus being absolutely forced to get a new program, it came down to features in the replacement. I absolutely had to have a certain web export, that only MyInfo (currently) has. But I agree if that's not your particular thing, other programs could come closer to your comfort type finesses you need.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 10:25 AM »
Then the warning bells went off when they didn't just "freeze" the forum, but *nuked it* and replaced it with this blind suspicious form that doesn't get answered.

But this big switch to a form that basically goes nowhere, was beyond a ref flag, it was like dumping a bucket of red paint on the bull, because there might not be anyone at all doing support, and some cheap marketing outfit might have a legacy program and is trying to squeeze a few more nickels out of new ... uh ... people.

A lot of "mights"

So though I used to like them, if you then change owners and but the best plasma cannon Star Trek credits can buy and point it at your face, then ... well ... I have to pick a new program!

And an "if".

I've no idea what happened, or whether it has changed hands, and never really expected to see another update - but there have been a few.

My impression was that the forum was closed because of all the criticism about the lack of development. I've noticed a few authors do that. When the forum becomes toxic then it usually doesn't last unless they delete threads and/or ban particular posters.

It happened at the same time a number of similar programs seemed to go into meltdown, so I assume sales went through the floor and didn't justify further investment of time. Ultra Recall announced no further development, but then did get updated.

And my impression was that support was always a bit limited although there was a certain amount of responsiveness in the forum.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 10:40 AM »

A lot of "mights"

And an "if".

I've no idea what happened, or whether it has changed hands, and never really expected to see another update - but there have been a few.

My impression was that the forum was closed because of all the criticism about the lack of development. I've noticed a few authors do that. When the forum becomes toxic then it usually doesn't last unless they delete threads and/or ban particular posters.

It happened at the same time a number of similar programs seemed to go into meltdown, so I assume sales went through the floor and didn't justify further investment of time. Ultra Recall announced no further development, but then did get updated.

And my impression was that support was always a bit limited although there was a certain amount of responsiveness in the forum.

This is the key phrase I would like to borrow.

I understand if support is *limited*. Though it's hard to know what bug could be worse than destroying your entire note structure, but hey, the warning bell went off when my bug report went completely black and this thread has seen three other people get no replies either.

Incidentally, you're somewhat right about updates, since I posted that bug at that time, at a little later time I did see a new version appear ... with the same bug! That was the final push to complete my program switchover, since I had hoped the new version would have quietly fixed the bug.

As someone with some little experience of the outsourcing sites, I have *zero* respect for "black walls of silence". You can hire people for *$2 per hour* to just "say things" and do a "few other things". (Like copy and paste support questions into a file and give them back one of seven canned responses from their script). So even a "useless" reply would have at least sent the signal that someone was behind the wheel. Instead, we get the guy here who wants a new sale. *That's the disconnect*.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 10:44 AM »
I want to warn you that the bug I ran into, was that suppose you make a note element in your writing, then you decide to move some of them around. TreeDB wasn't keeping the moved new structure, and instead dropping semi-random nodes back where they started, so just when you thought you had a new structure, it ends up a garbled mess!

It's not something that has happened to me, touch wood, but at the same time, I have huge numbers of backups, so it doesn't really feel like a biggie for my usage either. That said, I don't use it for very long or complex projects (or only in discrete chunks if I do); I like the environment but I've never been willing to totally trust its database integrity (don't know what it runs on) and it never felt right as an information manager. Your usage seems more complex and requiring a higher level of solidity.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 10:57 AM »

As someone with some little experience of the outsourcing sites, I have *zero* respect for "black walls of silence". You can hire people for *$2 per hour* to just "say things" and do a "few other things". (Like copy and paste support questions into a file and give them back one of seven canned responses from their script). So even a "useless" reply would have at least sent the signal that someone was behind the wheel. Instead, we get the guy here who wants a new sale. *That's the disconnect*.

I don't disagree, but then I have bought programs that were entirely defunct. If a program does what I want, I will use it and if it is the only one that does it the way I want if, I will go with it. Obviously for anything critical that I will rely on, I want rock solid support (not sure where we can be sure of getting that now) or get out methods, alternatives and backups. And preferably all of them.

I like using TreeDB myself, but I do find it hard to recommend to anyone else given the opacity of the situation.

Sagelight Image Editor is another one with a "black wall of silence" most of the time in terms of contact with the developer. But it does what it does very well, is unique in how it does it and is still very cheap. And there is a forum and a method for getting a licence that seems to be working atm. And the black walls have so far been interspersed with intense bursts of light. So I'd still recommend that to anyone who was prepare to buy in full knowledge of the history.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:03 AM by Dormouse »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 11:02 AM »

I don't disagree, but then I have bought programs that were entirely defunct. If a program does what I want, I will use it and if it is the only one that does it the way I want if, I will go with it. Obviously for anything critical that I will rely on, I want rock solid support (not sure where we can be sure of getting that now) or get out methods, alternatives and backups. And preferably all of them.

I like using TreeDB myself, but I do find it hard to recommend to anyone else given the opacity of the situation.

Fair! Good luck getting a companion program for 2015 and Beyyyoooooond! (Cartoon voice!)

:)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 03:44 PM »
What I like about TreeDBNotes for writing is the very full toolbar (I have all options open - and the styles at the bottom), the extensive right click menu, and the ability to write/edit in a pop out without all the PIM clutter.
I'm wondering whether at heart you'd prefer a single-pane outliner, if you could find one you liked?  Inspiration, perhaps?

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 04:23 PM »
What I like about TreeDBNotes for writing is the very full toolbar (I have all options open - and the styles at the bottom), the extensive right click menu, and the ability to write/edit in a pop out without all the PIM clutter.
I'm wondering whether at heart you'd prefer a single-pane outliner, if you could find one you liked?  Inspiration, perhaps?

It may seem odd, but I have never really got on with any single pane outliner - though I do have Outline 4d (a very particular type of program which again seems to have escaped development in the recent aeon). I'd have more panes if I could. Same with file managers: the more panes I can use the better.

Had a quick look at Inspiration. Seems most like a mindmapper with an outline view to me. I tend to find the rigid structures far too limiting and they never work with anything I'm doing. I seem to be able to do any number of things in TreeDB at the same time which is what I usually need.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 04:38 PM »
It may seem odd, but I have never really got on with any single pane outliner - though I do have Outline 4d (a very particular type of program which again seems to have escaped development in the recent aeon).
Since single-pane outlining became a more common feature of word processors, there doesn't seem to have been much development in free-standing ones.  Pity.

Had a quick look at Inspiration. Seems most like a mindmapper with an outline view to me.
It did fairly well in John Buckman's very old round-up of outliners, but times have moved on...

I tend to find the rigid structures far too limiting and they never work with anything I'm doing. I seem to be able to do any number of things in TreeDB at the same time which is what I usually need.
You must have a complex mind to deal with complex needs  :)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 06:11 PM »

I myself am having a little trouble even understanding what a single pane outliner *does*.

Sometimes once you have a paradigm in your head, you have trouble "un-learning it".

So, not counting the specifics of TreeDB, how do you not use two panes? (One for the outline and one for the data per node).