topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Resources for learning Windows PowerShell  (Read 6325 times)

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Resources for learning Windows PowerShell
« on: November 28, 2014, 08:09 AM »
Apparently, Windows will be getting a package manager sometime in the future that will use Windows PowerShell.

I have it installed, but have never tried to use it as anything but a CLI.  I think that should change and I have done multiple searches for resources to help me start to learn.

However, seeing as though one of my favourite online communities is stuffed with clever programmers (erm, that would be you-all if you didn't get that reference ;)), I thought it prudent to ask here as well.

I did a search on the forums and while there were a lot of hits, they were pretty old and I couldn't find one directly related to learning, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Resources for learning Windows PowerShell
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 12:14 PM »
A lot is going to depend on what you're learning.  Powershell is a *huge* topic.  I'd guess for admins?  Where did you hear that it will be getting a package manager for features?  They already have somewhat of one for development... just wanted to make sure that the two are not confused?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 12:49 PM »
Forget the Windows Store. Microsoft is working on a Linux-style package management framework for Windows, and it’s included with Windows 10. It’s being tested with Chocolatey’s existing packages, and allows you to easily install desktop applications and other software.

http://www.howtogeek...anager-named-oneget/
-howtogeek

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 03:27 AM »
@Daleus: Might a couple of free e-books get you into the right direction? http://powershell.org/wp/ebooks/
I guess a package manager just one of the minor subjects.

Microsoft is turning more and more to PS for server management, so having (some) knowledge about it can come in handy for some of us.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 08:31 AM »
The 'Core' editions of the Windows Server operating system (2008 R2 & 2012 R2) can in essence only be controlled by PowerShell. If you are from the school: 'whatever is not available, cannot break.' you will like these editions. There are a lot less attack vectors on those systems, and require a lot less computing resources (hardware or virtual machine).

But you definitely need good PS skills for managing these.

When browsing through my downloads I encountered 5 video files, that explain Power Shell to you in a clear way. The videos come from the Microsoft Scripting Guy and each last about an hour and I found them very helpful. Take a look on the MS TechNet site if you still can get these videos.

If these aren't available anymore (which I doubt), I can upload the files I have to a storage location of your choice. The videos require 450MByte of storage in total.

Bear in mind that there different versions of PowerShell available, which could pose limits on deployment of your PS scripts on different versions of the Windows Operating systems in your care. Usually you can upgrade the version of PowerShell on any computer, but MS puts (artificial) limits on max. PS version for different versions of Windows.

PowerShell is backwards compatible, for example: a script you created for PowerShel v1.0 will work on PowerShell v3.0. 

There are some companies that have free/commercial development environments just for PowerShell scripts and I would advise to use these as they come with examples and are of real help when making more complex PowerShell scripts. Something you will want to do quickly, because of the sheer Power in the Shell.

Some of the IDE's:
Idera - Very impressive freeware and it has a helpful community.
DevFarm PowerSE - I always liked this one best, but their website leaves a bit of a bad taste now.
A general overview of available PS IDE's

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 10:14 AM »
If what was said during that article is true, I'd recommend a different approach.  Though you'll need some basics in PS... I'd go for a deep dive with Chocolatey.  You can use it in Windows Powershell, but you can also use it in the standard command line.  In that manner, you can get experience with the package manager aspect, and focus on exactly what you want and is relevant in powershell when/if the package manager does come to fruition.

https://chocolatey.org/
https://github.com/chocolatey/chocolatey
http://www.pcworld.c...package-manager.html
http://lifehacker.co...anagement-to-windows
https://groups.googl...m/#!forum/chocolatey

As far as Powershell, I'd take a look at Powershell Succinctly by Syncfusion.

http://www.syncfusio...al/ebooks/powershell

It's free, though they do want you to register.  All of the succinctly series books are well done, and this one is no exception.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 01:09 PM »
Chocolatey is pretty interesting. I'm working with a medium-sized client to see if it can be used to handle all PC software installations and updates company-wide using the private feed feature and a local repository for security/management purposes.

Right now it looks very promising in testing. And certainly less complex or expensive than going with MS Systems Center. :Thmbsup:

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 06:42 PM »
And certainly less complex or expensive than going with MS Systems Center.

I'd rather deploy software manually on 5.25" floppies after swimming through leech-infested piranha tanks than use System Center.

Well, almost.  :P
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 06:56 PM »
And certainly less complex or expensive than going with MS Systems Center.

I'd rather deploy software manually on 5.25" floppies after swimming through leech-infested piranha tanks than use System Center.

Well, almost.  :P

Hear ya.  ;D It is a lot to get your head around. And it always struck me as being fussier and more complex than it needed to be. But that could just be ignorance on my part. I've done little more than read a few books and play with it a bit. I wouldn't even pretend to be up on it's intricacies. I know enough to know I'd to sub it out if I ever got called on to implement or maintain it.

Fortunately, my work is primarily with clients that are far too small to justify implementing MSC. And those few that are big enough to benefit already have the expertise in-house to handle it. It's a full time job from what I've seen.

8)

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 07:35 PM »
One of our larger clients has core CALs for their 1500 or so workstations, and since that includes the necessary pieces, they've mandated using SCCM/SCEP for A/V and patching. In 15 geographically dispersed (including international) locations. With a single SCCM server. And me, in my spare time, to manage it. Regardless of the fact that SCEP is crap. And that they have to use something else to handle the servers.   :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

It's just so ungodly ungainly to do ANYTHING with it. Rube Goldberg would be proud.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 08:27 AM »
Many thanks for all of the suggestions, and apologies for not responding sooner - work has been nightmare busy.  Seriously, I am starting to have nightmares about computers catching fire.

Anyway, I was aware of the TechNet/scripting guy resources.  I don't really know where I want to go with PowerShell and so, that's my starting point.  As I read I can see some use in deploying applications etc. and I've been seeing more references to it, so I figured it's worth a crack.

I hadn't really thought of IDEs for PS, but I'll be looking into that - thx Shades!

Thx to Ath for the ebook reccy.  Those all look like good topics, but perhaps for a bit down the line when I have idea what I want to use it for!

And more thx to wraith808 for reference to chocolatey which I have never heard of, but take a look at.

As usual, the DC community is extremely helpful!

Cheers!
Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large