topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: android app to set my vibration mode on specific hours  (Read 13096 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
android app to set my vibration mode on specific hours
« on: October 21, 2014, 03:33 PM »
hello!

is there an android app to set my mobile on 'vibrate' mode automatically on specific hours and days? e.g. 9-5pm every weekday

thanks!

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: android app to set my vibration mode on specific hours
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 03:45 PM »
Check out llama, it is able to switch profiles on several conditions, like time/day, cell-phone location, Wifi networks available, etc.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 03:46 PM »
I don't know of a dedicated app for this, but it's a pretty trivial usage of Tasker.

Tasker is a must-have for automating the operations of your Android, at least if you're sufficiently tech-savvy to set it up. You can program all sorts of triggering events to cause actions of your choosing. So for example, I've got mine set so that when it senses my phone connecting with my car's bluetooth, it automatically starts up my nav software (Waze) and OBDII datalogging app.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 03:58 PM »
A similar app, though I didn't try it, but is one of the suggestions that is actually recently updated, is Atooma, it has a loooong list of possible triggers/conditions :tellme:

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 04:00 PM »
Oh, and llama, first one I mentioned, is what I actually use and depend on for several years now. No relation to the developer, just a happy user :Thmbsup:

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 04:58 PM »
I also want to automatically start up waze at 8am and navigate me to work, is it possible?

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 05:20 PM »
I also want to automatically start up waze at 8am and navigate me to work, is it possible?

With Tasker that's pretty trivial. And you can go farther, like having it shut down Waze again once you've arrived at work.

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 02:47 AM »
I'm also using Llama to set my mobile phone to vibrate when I have a meeting in my work calendar, and I'm actually at work ;)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 03:55 AM »

With Tasker that's pretty trivial. And you can go farther, like having it shut down Waze again once you've arrived at work.

The problem is that tasker is a paid app. I don't have problem to pay for it, but aren't there any freeware?
Can llama do it?
The part I can't figure out how to do it is the 'automatically navigate to work' part

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 09:44 AM »
The part I can't figure out how to do it is the 'automatically navigate to work' part

You said you're using Waze, right? For me, Waze handles that part automatically. When I start it up in the morning, it knows itself that what I normally do is drive to work, and it offers me that straighaway. And similarly in the evening, it knows that I'm going to be driving home.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 10:58 AM »

You said you're using Waze, right? For me, Waze handles that part automatically. When I start it up in the morning, it knows itself that what I normally do is drive to work, and it offers me that straighaway. And similarly in the evening, it knows that I'm going to be driving home.

how does that do it? how did you set it to do it?

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 11:09 AM »
Today I used llama.
I was enthusiastic about the many options it offers but I am disappointed.
This is because I set it to set my sound profile to silent, from 9am to 5pm when I am at work, and it didn't restore it at 5pm to 'normal profile'!
How can I do this?
Do I have to set another event trigger to set my phone to 'normal sound profile' each weekday after 5pm?
Same with WiFi, while it disabled wifi while I was at work, it didn't re-enable it, at 5pm.
Any hint?

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 11:17 AM »

how does that do it? how did you set it to do it?

It just does it. It seems to notice the pattern of what destinations are chosen consistently at a given time of day. When it starts to see a pattern, it will automatically pop up a box asking if you want to repeat that pattern for this trip.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 11:19 AM »
Haven't tried this yet, but apparently the app SilentNight's description is:

Configure the phone to go silent and/or airplane mode between two times of the day.

Note: one can get the apk from that page or install via F-Droid -- see the page for details if interested.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 11:21 AM »
Haven't tried this yet, but apparently the app SilentNight's description is:

Configure the phone to go silent and/or airplane mode between two times of the day.

Note: one can get the apk from that page or install via F-Droid -- see the page for details if interested.
thanks but I kinda liked llama, because it also gives me the ability to disable wifi between two specific times of the weekdays

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 12:28 PM »
This is because I set it to set my sound profile to silent, from 9am to 5pm when I am at work, and it didn't restore it at 5pm to 'normal profile'!
How can I do this?
Do I have to set another event trigger to set my phone to 'normal sound profile' each weekday after 5pm?
Same with WiFi, while it disabled wifi while I was at work, it didn't re-enable it, at 5pm.
Any hint?
That is exactly how you should configure that. Create another trigger running from 5pm, to restore earlier settings. The standard provided triggers actually pointed me in that direction from the first time I looked at it...

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 01:54 PM »
How can I do this?
Any hint?
That is exactly how you should configure that. Create another trigger running from 5pm, to restore earlier settings. The standard provided triggers actually pointed me in that direction from the first time I looked at it...
And Llama actually tells you to do that (in a bubble popping up at the bottom for a short moment).

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 04:59 PM »
Can llama or any other way automatically open google maps and navigate to a specific location, when I enter my car?

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 05:19 AM »
by the way, I set it to kill (without root privileges) the Maps application when I am in the area of Home or Work, and it didn't kill the Google maps navigation when I approached Home or Work! any hint?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 05:47 AM »
by the way, I set it to kill (without root privileges) the Maps application when I am in the area of Home or Work, and it didn't kill the Google maps navigation when I approached Home or Work! any hint?

What have you got it set to trigger on?

WiFi networks available or mobile phone towers?

If it's towers, have you allowed long enough for llama to learn all the towers in the area?

Did you check the log, (IIRC, it has one)?

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 05:55 AM »
This is the event I have set:

Condition:
Enter Area: Home

Actions:
Kill Application: Maps, Waze

In the log, it says many times: 'Not added to any areas.'
Not sure what that means.
And that line is being generated in the log every 30 seconds!

By the way, I open the navigation and I click 'test actions' and it doesn't kill the navigation app!

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 07:22 AM »
In the log, it says many times: 'Not added to any areas.'
Not sure what that means.
You should long-press that message and choose "Add to area", and add it to your current area (Home? )

There is a Learning mode for Areas (long-press an Area, "Start Learning Area"), that you can set for a specific time, and during that time all GSM antennas detected will be added to that area (while you are walking around the house, or at work etc.).

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 07:40 AM »
So you think that the problem resides to the fact that llama cannot correctly identify the area?

Because, I think it resides to that llama cannot kill the Maps application. That's because I click 'test actions' and it doesn't kill the navigation.

But anyway, I will follow your instructions, thanks!

EDIT: Each time it says 'XXXXXXXX number: not added to any area' in the log, that number is each time different! Do I need to add all of each to my Home area?

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 09:02 AM »
I had some headaches getting Tasker to actually close stuff. As far as I can tell, an outright close doesn't work. But if you can find it, many apps have a built-in way of requesting that they close.

For example, I found that with Waze, the way to get it to close is by sending an action "Eliran_Close_Intent" to Package "com.waze" targeting "Broadcast Receiver".

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 09:15 AM »
I had some headaches getting Tasker to actually close stuff. As far as I can tell, an outright close doesn't work. But if you can find it, many apps have a built-in way of requesting that they close.

For example, I found that with Waze, the way to get it to close is by sending an action "Eliran_Close_Intent" to Package "com.waze" targeting "Broadcast Receiver".

omg, how am I supposed to find that?