topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684585 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2015, 07:36 PM »
The Anti-Climax Known as Windows 10  John C. Dvorak  PCMag.com

I've been waiting for years for someone to write The Anti-Climax Known as John C. Dvorak.

Well, not quite, John D "is his own climax". I just checked a couple of those articles, and basically if you put it in enough vitriolic biased language, you can make anything sound unbuyable! Let's try it!

"Well hell. Look at this $hit called ca$h. I mean it's F$cking paper that becomes almost unusable the minute it rains and you drop your wallet! Boom! Hundred buck$ down the drain. Almost literally. Well, it will sit there swirling until the dept of public works comes and bitches at your for making them spend an hour of billable time to clean it out of the drain holes. But tell ya what. I know a guy who knows a guy, so I'll take your ca$h right off you at a nice durable quarter on the $hitty dollar and give you either quarters, or on your debit card for a fee."

:D

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2015, 05:37 AM »

Lazy blurb taken from Slashdot:

"Today Microsoft released a new Technical Preview build for Windows 10. Its most notable addition is Microsoft's new browser: Project Spartan."

Anyone want to chime in on Spartan?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2015, 05:46 AM »

Lazy blurb taken from Slashdot:

"Today Microsoft released a new Technical Preview build for Windows 10. Its most notable addition is Microsoft's new browser: Project Spartan."

I don't think I could give it a fair test in a VM.  Although I notice for some reason Windows x64 versions of Vista and W7 aren't all that slow in a VM on my Laptop.  But W10 I have to turn off a bunch of services to keep it from stalling.

I'll probably VM the new build today or tomorrow and take a look.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2015, 06:48 AM »
I don't think I could give it a fair test in a VM.  Although I notice for some reason Windows x64 versions of Vista and W7 aren't all that slow in a VM on my Laptop.  But W10 I have to turn off a bunch of services to keep it from stalling.

I'll probably VM the new build today or tomorrow and take a look.

You could cheat and try dual booting to a .vhd for the 10 testing.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2015, 07:41 AM »

You could cheat and try dual booting to a .vhd for the 10 testing.

I don't want to take any chances doing anything I haven't done before.  This Laptop is all I have to work with for now.  I used to do a lot of multi-boot stuff on MBR systems but with UEFI and GPT my experience is obsoleted.  :)

One of these days I'll get a real workbench set up along with closets to pile, er, store, hardware not currently in use. :)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2015, 02:29 PM »

Preview of Microsoft's Project Spartan available.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Preview of Microsoft's Project Spartan available

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2015, 02:45 PM »
(see attachment in previous post)
Preview of Microsoft's Project Spartan available

One person on Ten Forums mentioned it. Nobody else knows how to get it except for running leaked builds such as 10014(that's fourteen not fortyone.)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2015, 02:53 PM »
The nice thing about Windows 10 is that it brought back the BSOD:

Windows 10 BSOD.pngWindows 10 Announced

I get this when trying to boot from the disc image to install it in VM. I had this problem with the last preview image, but it's been so long since I installed it, I forgot how I worked around it. Maybe I should consult earlier posts in this thread to see if I left myself any hints.  :D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2015, 02:56 PM »
I'm not sure what the solution was, to be honest.

I tried it with the 32-bit ISO and it warned me about needing to enable PAE, so I enabled it and got to the setup screen. Then I mounted the 64-bit ISO and rebooted my VM and it worked. So maybe I needed to enable PAE to get it to work?

I'm using the same VM, but just trying to boot from the x64 ISO, so PAE is still enabled, and I'm still getting the BSOD. I tried disabling it and I still get the BSOD.

* Deozaan shrugs.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2015, 03:57 PM »
^^ have you tried turning off automatically install and just play until you turn off all the touch screen services stuff?  There was a post on Ten Forums helped me to get going.  It suggested turning off the services you don't use on a desktop such as touch screen and a couple of others. Maybe the GPS service?  I forget the ones other than Touch at the moment.

Edit: I'm not sure if that works.  My memory is a bit hazy exactly when I disabled the services.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2015, 04:24 PM »
^^ have you tried turning off automatically install and just play until you turn off all the touch screen services stuff?  There was a post on Ten Forums helped me to get going.  It suggested turning off the services you don't use on a desktop such as touch screen and a couple of others. Maybe the GPS service?  I forget the ones other than Touch at the moment.

Edit: I'm not sure if that works.  My memory is a bit hazy exactly when I disabled the services.

I'm not following. There is no "automatically install" option. There are no GPS or touch screen options. I'm trying to boot to the disk image. I get the BSOD before it even gets that far.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2015, 04:38 PM »
I'm not following. There is no "automatically install" option. There are no GPS or touch screen options. I'm trying to boot to the disk image. I get the BSOD before it even gets that far.

I get you now.  Different can of worms.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2015, 01:42 PM »
10049 Update Taking Forever!

While the 10041 update only took an hour or so ... Going from 10041 to 10049 has - so far - taken over 4 and a half hours ... With no end in sight.

Overall Progress is at 23%
Configuring Settings: done
Setting up: 78%
Applying settings: Yet 2 Go
Setting up a few more things: Yet 2 Go

Disk activity (single 6G/s SATA3 drive) on host machine (it's running in a Hyper-V VM) has been at 100% the entire time.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2015, 02:33 PM »
Update: It finally finished, buy crashing, rolling back, and going up in flames.

FFFFuuuormat C:..

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2015, 02:39 PM »
Update: It finally finished, buy crashing, rolling back, and going up in flames.

FFFFuuuormat C:..

Heh you're a braver man than I!
That's why I don't mess with preview builds - it seems MS does their "fit and polish" on the "last mile" which to me sounds really frustrating.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2015, 04:04 PM »
Now I have an excuse not to VM 10041.  I'll just wait for the 10049 ISO.  ;)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2015, 06:37 AM »
Now I have an excuse not to VM 10041.  I'll just wait for the 10049 ISO.  ;)

10041 went in just fine (update & clean), it's the jump to 10049 that's killing me. I left the update running last night, and it did a fail and rollback to 10041 again. But at least this time I got an error code (0x8000000A - 0x20003) to play with ... Yay (F...).

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2015, 06:58 AM »
Hm... Okay, after a bit of digging at the error code it appears to be a UEFI vs. BIOS issue. And since this is the first time I've tried playing with a .vhdx drive...which doesn't seem to want to let me get into the VM's BIOS...I'm thinking a switch to .vhd (where IIRC the BIOS shows up normally) should (should...) resolve the issue.

Testing theory now.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2015, 01:58 PM »
(Notice timestamp of post above is/was ~8:00am this morning - And it's now ~3:00pm) Holy Galloping Horse Shit Batman!!! That took forever...but it did work using a .vhd, instead of a .vhdx.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2015, 02:10 PM »
Posting this from the new Project Spartan browser in Windows 10 b10049 ... It's definitely fast. Really, really fast.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2015, 02:49 PM »
Posting this from the new Project Spartan browser in Windows 10 b10049 ... It's definitely fast. Really, really fast.

Does it use multiple executables?

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2015, 04:40 PM »

Can you give a couple of examples of how "fast" affects normal websites? Such as a site (I will load here), and "before and after" aka Spartan vs FF&gang/Chrome&gang/IE/Safari or whatever.

I'm lately deciding UI interface and maybe usability is my number one metric of software. (See my other Kingsoft office post today on the other thread.) So I can't even think of a time when I felt my browser was the culprit for not rendering a page. Often a site will be slow, but the status bar at the bottom will say things like "waiting for site at 3.14.15.926 to load..." so it's not the browser render fault.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2015, 04:42 PM »

And not counting glitches from test builds, how "solid" of the return to the "desktop experience" is it? Heh it's the "Ahem Post Windows 8 world cough cough uh ... forget we released that!"

All I want is "Windows 7 SP4" aka regular Windows with random under the hood tweaks.

Or does it have any nasty new tricks especially of the Big Brother kind?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: April 03, 2015, 06:49 AM »
Posting from within Spartan

Does it use multiple executables?

Yes, I'm showing 4 listed in TM just to get here - New tab == new .exe instance.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2015, 06:58 AM »

Can you give a couple of examples of how "fast" affects normal websites? Such as a site (I will load here), and "before and after" aka Spartan vs FF&gang/Chrome&gang/IE/Safari or whatever.

(In all 3 minutes I got before the VM locked up) Testing is strictly - click-->result - subjective. If I have to use a stopwatch to "see" improvement...there ain't none. But for the test sites I used (here/MSN/Bing image search), the get there and load (to usable e.g. I can scroll smoothly) times were as close to instantaneous as anything I've seen. Much faster than IE, FF, or Chrome on the native hardware host machine.

I'm lately deciding UI interface and maybe usability is my number one metric of software. (See my other Kingsoft office post today on the other thread.) So I can't even think of a time when I felt my browser was the culprit for not rendering a page. Often a site will be slow, but the status bar at the bottom will say things like "waiting for site at 3.14.15.926 to load..." so it's not the browser render fault.

Funny thing you mention the status bar...because there ain't one that I can find ... So I can't see where I'm going when hovering over a link. Other than that it hasn't pissed me off, yet..