topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684532 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2015, 04:21 PM »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:28 PM by MilesAhead »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2015, 10:12 PM »

I haven't really kept up with the build news.

But I'm encouraged a couple people are saying they managed to tighten some code so it has a chance to run on older machines.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2015, 01:21 PM »
No ISO yet.  You have to do the update method:

https://www.tenforum...ndows-10-builds.html

This doesn't work for me. I can't get build 9926 to update to 10041. The instructions in that link don't do what it says it should do. I don't see a "Preview Builds" tab in Update & Recovery when I follow the instructions.

When I check for updates I see something called something like fbl_impressive_10041 Professional and a Windows Defender definition update, but both of those things quickly disappear and it says "your device is up to date"

:-\
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 01:41 PM by Deozaan »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2015, 01:37 PM »
When I check for updates I see something called something like fbl_impressive_10041 Professional and a Windows Defender definition update, but both of those things quickly disappear and it says "your device is up to date"

You should post a followup to that thread.  Brink does most of the tutorials and gives support right in the tutorial threads.  It won't be ignored.

Edit: I'm not sure exactly how it works myself but supposedly you have to join the Windows Insider Program to be able to do the updates.  Brink knows the nitty gritty details.

Edit2:  I did the first update to get the 9926 ISO from the update code as I mentioned.  But everything is so glacial inside my Laptop W10 VM that I vowed I would only make VMs from ISO files I downloaded from now on.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 01:42 PM by MilesAhead »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2015, 03:26 PM »
Windows 10 makes disabling UEFI Secure Boot optional:

http://www.extremete...er-operating-systems

That is to say, Microsoft required an option to disable Secure Boot previously, but now that option is optional with Windows 10, meaning some hardware may not allow you to install non-Secure Boot OSes.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2015, 05:25 PM »

http://www.extremete...er-operating-systems

That is to say, Microsoft required an option to disable Secure Boot previously, but now that option is optional with Windows 10, meaning some hardware may not allow you to install non-Secure Boot OSes.

Classic MS.

I'm missing my meme for when lately "tin foil hat people" are proving to be right a few times.

So they do some 2-3 step process. "Yeah, we put in this tech that can hardware lock our OS on there without you installing your own. But don't worry, it will be required to have a disable option."

Later:
"Oh look, now we made that *optional* for the OEM's." Ahem ... for nice sums of cash to the OEM or something.

And now it keeps putting cognitive burdens on even medium savvy customers who just go down to Best Buy and buy a box and have their ISO all ready ... and only later their tech expert buddy tells them it's hardware locked. And I'm aching to know what error message that throws up! Who decides the error message? MS? The OEM?

And what do stores do for return policies? Can you imagine the rage of that medium-savvy customer who bought a box for *nix, later finds out it's locked, then the mean store managers tell them "sorry, we don't refund for that. The machine is working perfectly".

I wonder if there's legal ground for one of those "fit for a purpose" type cases. I forget all the three types, but it's just ringing a bell.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2015, 06:36 PM »
Clipboard01.jpg

Windows 10: Will your PC run it?   ZDNet

This is for the people who are not running Win 10 now, but who expect to be when it is finished.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2015, 10:03 PM »
(see attachment in previous post)
Windows 10: Will your PC run it?   ZDNet

This is for the people who are not running Win 10 now, but who expect to be when it is finished.

Of all the options, ... "install Win 8.1" and stuff ... no.

But I think I like the prelim encouragement by this snip:

"Download and run a handy utility called CPU-Z. Look under Instructions and if you see SSE2, EM64T (indicates the processor has support for PAE) and either VT-d or VT-x (which is what's needed for NX support) then you're ready to rock."

... And mine does. So other things could go wrong, but that's promising!

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2015, 09:19 AM »
If you have a spare hard disk and sufficiently sized pen drive laying around, feel free to download a trial iso of Windows 8(.1), create a boot-able pen drive using that iso (Rufus is one of the easiest tools I know), disconnect your main hard disk, connect the spare hard disk and start installing.

There is no surer way to test if your system is able to handle a new OS. And by disconnecting your main hard disk you won't make any (unintentional) changes to your main OS. After you are done testing...disconnect the spare hard disk and reconnect your main hard disk and you are ready to roll again in the comforts of your trusted OS.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2015, 10:41 AM »
If you have a spare hard disk and sufficiently sized pen drive laying around, feel free to download a trial iso of Windows 8(.1), create a boot-able pen drive using that iso (Rufus is one of the easiest tools I know), disconnect your main hard disk, connect the spare hard disk and start installing.

There is no surer way to test if your system is able to handle a new OS. And by disconnecting your main hard disk you won't make any (unintentional) changes to your main OS. After you are done testing...disconnect the spare hard disk and reconnect your main hard disk and you are ready to roll again in the comforts of your trusted OS.

Well,

besides the work involved, I also really don't believe in anything but the final real thing. So that's why I liked the quick 15 min test with cpu z.

MS moves stuff around and edge cases happen too much for me to get involved with anything before the final rollout.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2015, 10:43 AM »

If lacking a HD suitable for internal mounting(for example you have an external USB or a 3.5" bare HD/USB dock combo, and a Laptop) an alternative would be to create a backup image to the bare drive or external before the attempt.  Bear in mind if you haven't actually restored to the PC using the imaging restore there is always the chance it will not boot or it may come up with some features garbled.  The only way to know for sure is to restore to the metal.  Preferably on a guinea pig PC of similar configuration if you have one.

Shades' method has fewer unknowns if you have the hardware on hand.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2015, 10:46 AM »
MS moves stuff around and edge cases happen too much for me to get involved with anything before the final rollout.

Another thing you can do is install VMWare Player Free and use a W10 ISO when it is finally available, to take a test drive.  If it is not appealing deleting the VM returns the used HD space.  :)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2015, 11:18 AM »
Meh, that sucks :(
- carpe noctem

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2015, 12:50 PM »
Here's the link to the 10041 build ISO downloads:
http://windows.micro...view-iso-update-1503

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2015, 10:30 PM »
Thanks. That disc image is half a GB smaller than the 9926 one I downloaded two months ago!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2015, 05:39 AM »
Thanks. That disc image is half a GB smaller than the 9926 one I downloaded two months ago!

I may just wait until the next one.  Watching stuff happen in a Laptop VM is worse than paint dampness monitor duty.  :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2015, 06:46 AM »
No ISO yet.  You have to do the update method:

https://www.tenforum...ndows-10-builds.html

This doesn't work for me. I can't get build 9926 to update to 10041. The instructions in that link don't do what it says it should do. I don't see a "Preview Builds" tab in Update & Recovery when I follow the instructions.

I missed this earlier, but had the same no preview builds tab showing issue with my VM. I did have some windows updates pending, so I let it install them and it pulled the 10041 update (which was not listed) in with them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On an unrelated note, the odd redirect behavior I'd encountered trying to configure Outlook earlier (in the thread) resurfaced after the 10041 update. I typed portal.microsoftonline.com in the browser, and ended up here:
Redirected to Site.jpgWindows 10 Announced

After getting this error:
Address bar and error.jpg

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2015, 01:54 PM »
Their Hololens glasses are intriguing :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2015, 02:53 PM »
I finally downloaded the ISO.  Maybe I'll VM it tomorrow.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2015, 11:02 AM »
The Anti-Climax Known as Windows 10  John C. Dvorak  PCMag.com

I've been waiting for years for someone to write The Anti-Climax Known as John C. Dvorak.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2015, 11:10 AM »
The Anti-Climax Known as Windows 10  John C. Dvorak  PCMag.com

I've been waiting for years for someone to write The Anti-Climax Known as John C. Dvorak.

If you want a chuckle see if you can find his article on "The Chang Modification."  He was taken in by this guy who claimed to have beefed up a 286 chip to make it super fast.  Turns out all he did was stick something on the chip so it looked modified and kludged some benchmark programs to indicate markedly faster CPU performance.

I have to admit I get a kick out of JCD.  But I still refuse to try his keyboard.  Qwerty all the way for me!!  :)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2015, 12:19 PM »
I have to admit I get a kick out of JCD.  But I still refuse to try his keyboard.  Qwerty all the way for me!!  :)
O_o
- carpe noctem