ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (17/253) > >>

Deozaan:
Windows 10 makes disabling UEFI Secure Boot optional:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/201722-linuxs-worst-case-scenario-microsoft-makes-secure-boot-mandatory-locks-out-other-operating-systems

That is to say, Microsoft required an option to disable Secure Boot previously, but now that option is optional with Windows 10, meaning some hardware may not allow you to install non-Secure Boot OSes.

TaoPhoenix:
Windows 10 makes disabling UEFI Secure Boot optional:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/201722-linuxs-worst-case-scenario-microsoft-makes-secure-boot-mandatory-locks-out-other-operating-systems

That is to say, Microsoft required an option to disable Secure Boot previously, but now that option is optional with Windows 10, meaning some hardware may not allow you to install non-Secure Boot OSes.
-Deozaan (March 21, 2015, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Classic MS.

I'm missing my meme for when lately "tin foil hat people" are proving to be right a few times.

So they do some 2-3 step process. "Yeah, we put in this tech that can hardware lock our OS on there without you installing your own. But don't worry, it will be required to have a disable option."

Later:
"Oh look, now we made that *optional* for the OEM's." Ahem ... for nice sums of cash to the OEM or something.

And now it keeps putting cognitive burdens on even medium savvy customers who just go down to Best Buy and buy a box and have their ISO all ready ... and only later their tech expert buddy tells them it's hardware locked. And I'm aching to know what error message that throws up! Who decides the error message? MS? The OEM?

And what do stores do for return policies? Can you imagine the rage of that medium-savvy customer who bought a box for *nix, later finds out it's locked, then the mean store managers tell them "sorry, we don't refund for that. The machine is working perfectly".

I wonder if there's legal ground for one of those "fit for a purpose" type cases. I forget all the three types, but it's just ringing a bell.

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced

Microsoft releases Windows 10 build 10041, commits to monthly updates  ZDNet

Microsoft to accelerate its release pace for Windows 10 preview  ZDNet

Arizona Hot:

Windows 10: Will your PC run it?   ZDNet

This is for the people who are not running Win 10 now, but who expect to be when it is finished.

TaoPhoenix:
(see attachment in previous post)
Windows 10: Will your PC run it?   ZDNet

This is for the people who are not running Win 10 now, but who expect to be when it is finished.
-Arizona Hot (March 21, 2015, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Of all the options, ... "install Win 8.1" and stuff ... no.

But I think I like the prelim encouragement by this snip:

"Download and run a handy utility called CPU-Z. Look under Instructions and if you see SSE2, EM64T (indicates the processor has support for PAE) and either VT-d or VT-x (which is what's needed for NX support) then you're ready to rock."

... And mine does. So other things could go wrong, but that's promising!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version